Rise of Nations Uninstall Botch

A visitor tried to install Rise of Nations on an old Windows XP SP2
computer, and it wouldn't run properly because of the ancient video card.
(So he installed it on one of my more modern machines fine.)

Now I go to Add/Remove Programs on the old computer, select Microsoft Rise
of Nations, click Change/Remove, and I see a brief flicker, but nothing else
happens.

Similarly, if I go to Program Files | Microsoft Games | Rise of Nations and
double-click UNINSTAL.EXE, nothing happens.

How can I properly remove the 186 MB left on my computer?

- Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about rise nations uninstall botch

    Hi Michael,

    "Michael R Middleton" <middleton@starband.net> wrote in message news:eXMGeKbJFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    |A visitor tried to install Rise of Nations on an old Windows XP SP2
    | computer, and it wouldn't run properly because of the ancient video card.
    | (So he installed it on one of my more modern machines fine.)
    |
    | Now I go to Add/Remove Programs on the old computer, select Microsoft Rise
    | of Nations, click Change/Remove, and I see a brief flicker, but nothing else
    | happens.
    |
    | Similarly, if I go to Program Files | Microsoft Games | Rise of Nations and
    | double-click UNINSTAL.EXE, nothing happens.
    |
    | How can I properly remove the 186 MB left on my computer?
    |
    | - Mike

    Here's how to uninstall a game, especially tricky ones:

    Step A: In Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs, remove the game and then delete the game's folder especially if you previously
    experienced problems with a patch, or if you installed the Trial, Mods, NO CD patches, etc.

    -- I understand that you've tried Step A. already, so let's go on to the next step...

    Note: Click Start to Search or Find your game. Many times there are two installs
    of the same game on a system and the patch installs to the wrong one. Also if you
    installed a Trial version of the game, this could be causing a conflict.. Uninstall it
    and delete the folder.

    Step B: Reinstall the game to the same folder and try uninstalling it

    Step C: Install and Run Regcleaner and if it finds any stray registry keys for the
    game, delete them. Reboot your computer, and then re-install the game.
    Regcleaner Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

    Cheers,
    Jimmy S.

    Microsoft MVP Windows XP Shell/User: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com