Sign in with
Your question

I have a Toshiba Satelite L455-S5009 that shut itself down and now has a black s

Last response: in Windows 7
March 11, 2012 1:49:53 AM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satelite L455-S5009 - While on facebook, the computer suddenly shut itself down and restarted. When it came back up, all I have is a black screen with a blinking curser. Tried shutting it down again and back up to the same result. Tried removing the power cord and the battery and then plugging in just the power cord and restarted and got the same result. What happened and how do I fix it?
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 6:38:40 AM

bentlerpride said:
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satelite L455-S5009 - While on facebook, the computer suddenly shut itself down and restarted. When it came back up, all I have is a black screen with a blinking curser. Tried shutting it down again and back up to the same result. Tried removing the power cord and the battery and then plugging in just the power cord and restarted and got the same result. What happened and how do I fix it?

Let me guess - While on Facebook, you clicked on a link ?
You most likely now have an infected system.
Try starting the computer in Safe Mode & running your AntiVirus scan, for starters. Safe Mode with networking will allow you to access internet, to download other scanners if need be.
m
l
March 11, 2012 8:09:14 AM

Can't get the computer to get to the restart in safe mode display. Any suggestions on how. CTRL ALT DEL is not working
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 8:11:31 AM

Have seen lots of posts that say I need to reinstall Windows 7. That's fine and all, but how do you do that when you buy a laptop that has all the software installed from BestBuy, and they don't give you any discs?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 8:25:30 AM

bentlerpride said:
Can't get the computer to get to the restart in safe mode display. Any suggestions on how. CTRL ALT DEL is not working

Safe Mode is initiated with the F8 key immediately during startup after 1st splash screen displays. Can get recovery disks from Mfg website.
m
l
!