Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Help setting up third monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 22, 2012 5:53:26 PM

Hello, I'm seeking expert help with my problem setting up a third monitor to play hardcore gaming across 3 monitors. I dont know what I need to set it up. My budget is no more than 500. Here is my setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67
RAM: 8GB DDR3
EDIT Graphic Cards: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1GB
Raidmax Blackstorm MID Size Tower
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
1TB Hard drive 7200 RPM
500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Coolermaster H60

What else do I need? I know another graphic Card but I dont know which one I need. I know mine is SLI ready if thats helpful somehow. Please help! Going to get that for Christmas!

More about : setting monitor

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:00:22 PM

For a three-monitor gaming, I'd suggest an AMD HD 7970. It preforms greatly on high resolutions, even it will be better than 2 GTX 560ti's in SLI.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:02:51 PM

Commandermadi said:
For a three-monitor gaming, I'd suggest an AMD HD 7970. It preforms greatly on high resolutions, even it will be better than 2 GTX 560ti's in SLI.


What do u think about this one?

http://www.compusa.pr/applications/SearchTools/item-det...


Also can I combine mt GTX 560 Ti with the AMD HD 7970? And the size? Will it be ok for my mid size tower?
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:09:18 PM

yoToco94 said:
What do u think about this one?

http://www.compusa.pr/applications/SearchTools/item-det...


Also can I combine mt GTX 560 Ti with the AMD HD 7970? And the size? Will it be ok for my mid size tower?


I can't open the link actually, there is something wrong with it.

Considering the combination issue, no you can't combine two different cards even if both are from nVidia or AMD. Like for example, you can't SLI GTX 560ti with GTX 570. It needs to be the same card no matter what is the manufacturing company for them.

I still suggest you on AMD HD 7970 over 2 GTX 560ti in SLI. AMD will simply preform better at higher resolutions :) 

And by the way, what are your specs?
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:09:22 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No, just get another 560Ti.



Mousemonkey I dont mean to go against your suggestion or talking back but the guys at CompUSA said I should use the one in the link? :S Why would they say that? Would it be to get more money from me? I just want to play Battlefield 3 and other games that are capable of having all 3 monitors on, expanding my vision on the screen.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:12:26 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No, just get another 560Ti.

I wouldn't run SLI/CF on a motherboard with a 2nd x16 slot that only runs at x4 speeds. But I'm not sure exactly how powerful a card is needed before that becomes a problem since oddly enough the board claims quad-CrossFire compliance...

It's possible to do triple monitors on a single 7970, but you'll be looking at lowered settings and fps. 2 x 560 ti 1gb will vram bottleneck like crazy even if your board's slow 2nd slot doesn't hamper it.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:15:52 PM

Commandermadi said:
I can't open the link actually, there is something wrong with it.

Considering the combination issue, no you can't combine two different cards even if both are from nVidia or AMD. Like for example, you can't SLI GTX 560ti with GTX 570. It needs to be the same card no matter what is the manufacturing company for them.

I still suggest you on AMD HD 7970 over 2 GTX 560ti in SLI. AMD will simply preform better at higher resolutions :) 

And by the way, what are your specs?


This are my Specs. Or do u mean something else?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67
RAM: 8GB DDR3
EDIT Graphic Cards: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1GB
Raidmax Blackstorm MID Size Tower
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
1TB Hard drive 7200 RPM
500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Coolermaster H60


And the link is about the EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti. Guys at CompUSA said I should use that one. :S And the AMD u are telling me about, does it support all 3 monitors just from one graphic card? O.O never seen that. Mine only supports 2 VGA/DVI and a mini HDMI Connector.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:16:16 PM

larkspur said:
I wouldn't run SLI/CF on a motherboard with a 2nd x16 slot that only runs at x4 speeds. But I'm not sure exactly how powerful a card is needed before that becomes a problem since oddly enough the board claims quad-CrossFire compliance...

It's possible to do triple monitors on a single 7970, but you'll be looking at lowered settings and fps. 2 x 560 ti 1gb will vram bottleneck like crazy even if your board's slow 2nd slot doesn't hamper it.

That mobo runs the second slot at x8 (at least mine does) and a second 560 would be cheaper and probably be less of a hassle to set up.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:19:21 PM

yoToco94 said:
And the link is about the EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti. Guys at CompUSA said I should use that one. :S And the AMD u are telling me about, does it support all 3 monitors just from one graphic card? O.O never seen that. Mine only supports 2 VGA/DVI and a mini HDMI Connector.

If the guys at CompUSA told you to use that card for triple monitor, they really don't know what they are talking about. Sell the 560 ti 1gb - a 1gb card is not enough for triple monitor (period). Get the most powerful 7970 ghz edition 3gb card you can find - with your motherboard's limitation, that's the best you can do for under $500.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:20:20 PM

larkspur said:
I wouldn't run SLI/CF on a motherboard with a 2nd x16 slot that only runs at x4 speeds. But I'm not sure exactly how powerful a card is needed before that becomes a problem since oddly enough the board claims quad-CrossFire compliance...

It's possible to do triple monitors on a single 7970, but you'll be looking at lowered settings and fps. 2 x 560 ti 1gb will vram bottleneck like crazy even if your board's slow 2nd slot doesn't hamper it.




What do u mean by this? I mean Im not looking for something so WOW OVER THE EDGE gaming. My budget only gives me the You are here just to play, not looking for a best graphics. Of course I dont want to go lower of what i got know. Im happy with my current setup and how it looks, I dont want to downgrade just for a graphic card.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:20:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That mobo runs the second slot at x8 (at least mine does) and a second 560 would be cheaper and probably be less of a hassle to set up.

The specs page lists x4 speed for the black slot: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6...

I can only work with what Asus tells me.
Score
0
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:20:54 PM

For triple monitors on one card you need either a Nvidia GTX 6 series or an ATI HD that supports eyefinity. If you want to run 3 1080p monitors on demanding games you''ll need at least a GTX 680(or oced 670) or a HD 7970. If you want to run games like far cry 3 at that res you may want to SLI or crossfire 2 of those high end cards or get a GTX 690 or HD7990. You may be able to get away with adding anither 560ti but you may end up running at low to medium settings at 5760x1080. For $500 I'd get a 680 or 7970(look up the benchmarks for the games you want to play and buy the best performer).
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:24:26 PM

larkspur said:
If the guys at CompUSA told you to use that card for triple monitor, they really don't know what they are talking about. Sell the 560 ti 1gb - a 1gb card is not enough for triple monitor (period). Get the most powerful 7970 ghz edition 3gb card you can find - with your motherboard's limitation, that's the best you can do for under $500.

What limitation is that if the OP has the SLi capable ASUS P8P67 ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:25:39 PM

yoToco94 said:
This are my Specs. Or do u mean something else?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67
RAM: 8GB DDR3
EDIT Graphic Cards: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1GB
Raidmax Blackstorm MID Size Tower
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
1TB Hard drive 7200 RPM
500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Coolermaster H60


And the link is about the EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti. Guys at CompUSA said I should use that one. :S And the AMD u are telling me about, does it support all 3 monitors just from one graphic card? O.O never seen that. Mine only supports 2 VGA/DVI and a mini HDMI Connector.


Yes The AMD HD 7970 is capable of running three monitors by itself without Crossfire thanks to its 3 GB vram and more memory bus width (384 bit). GTX 660ti is not really a multiple monitors card so ignore what CompUSA guys are saying.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:26:29 PM

Now Im confused. :S Can you guys give your specs and maybe we can work something out of there?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:26:33 PM

yoToco94 said:
What do u mean by this? I mean Im not looking for something so WOW OVER THE EDGE gaming. My budget only gives me the You are here just to play, not looking for a best graphics. Of course I dont want to go lower of what i got know. Im happy with my current setup and how it looks, I dont want to downgrade just for a graphic card.


Are these 1080p monitors? Triple 1080 monitors is massive resolution. Massive resolution requires powerful GPUs with plenty of vram (2gb or more) to get playable frame-rates. That's all I'm saying. If you try to do triple monitors with a 1gb card, your card will be vram bottlenecked (it won't have enough video RAM to play properly). You want at least a 7970.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:28:41 PM

So in the end my motherboard doesnt support SLI so I need an AMD HD 7970?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:31:19 PM

yoToco94 said:
So in the end my motherboard doesnt support SLI so I need an AMD HD 7970?


Even if your motherboard supports SLI, AMD HD 7970 is much better than having another GTX560 ti put in SLI.

EDIT: I don't want you to think I am an AMD fanboy :p  Actually I never used any ATI cards before and I have always been using nVidia because I play at one monitor only. But from what I have read and seen around, AMD provide better solutions for gaming on multiple monitors :) 
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:31:26 PM

yoToco94 said:
So in the end my motherboard doesnt support SLI so I need an AMD HD 7970?

Which version of the Asus P8P67 do you have?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:33:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's not the SLi capable version.

Ok. So you are willing to assume that the OP has the SLI capable version without confirming it and suggesting he get a another 560ti 1gb for a triple monitor setup where it will clearly not have enough vram?

yoTaco94 - Sorry that we have confused you. It's one thing to hook up three monitors in Windows extended desktop - that can be done with minimal GPU horsepower. But if you want to GAME on all three monitors at the same time (one big screen) you need a powerful GPU with plenty of vram. A GTX670 or GTX680 or Radeon 7970 is what I recommend. 2 x 560 ti 1gb is NOT suitable for triple 1080p gaming - each GPU does not have enough video RAM).
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:36:13 PM

larkspur said:
So you are willing to assume that the OP has the SLI capable version

I can only work with what the OP stated in their first post.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:36:57 PM

larkspur said:
Ok. So you are willing to assume that the OP has the SLI capable version without confirming it and suggesting he get a another 560ti 1gb for a triple monitor setup where it will clearly not have enough vram?

yoTaco94 - Sorry that we have confused you. It's one thing to hook up three monitors in Windows extended desktop - that can be done with minimal GPU horsepower. But if you want to GAME on all three monitors at the same time (one big screen) you need a powerful GPU with plenty of vram. A GTX670 or GTX680 or Radeon 7970 is what I recommend. 2 x 560 ti 1gb is NOT suitable for triple 1080p gaming - each GPU does not have enough video RAM).


I 100% agree with what Lark just said. Adding 1 GB GTX 560ti to another 1 GB GTX 560ti will NOT make it 2 GB vram :) )
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:40:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Which version of the Asus P8P67 do you have?



The one larkspur posted. :) 

Commanderr - Thanks :)  What is your setup? If u can tell me, just to compare our sets.


larkspur - Thanks for clearing this up. :)  So I should get a AMD or Radeon in the end? Or the GTX600 series? Which one would you get if u where going to do what Im trying to do?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:41:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I can only work with what the OP stated in their first post.

Smiles and hugs Mouse :love:  I have every respect. I've just found that some people make assumptions about their boards without knowing what they really have. I would first confirm that is indeed an SLI capable motherboard, and then make a suggestion based on that. When I looked at the board on Asus' site, I assumed the OP just made a mistake about his board being SLI capable.

Assuming it is indeed a x8 speed 2nd slot, then I would still sell the 560ti 1gb bringing the budget up to $600 with the proceeds. Then I'd buy a couple of 7950s since they are $300 each and would remain in budget. That would yield a very capable triple monitor setup.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:43:11 PM

yoToco94 said:

Commanderr - Thanks :)  What is your setup? If u can tell me, just to compare our sets.


My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor 8MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H; LGA 1155 Ultra Durable™

RAM: Kingston KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G 16GB 1600MHz DDR3

Hard Drive: Western Digital 2TB

Monitor: One Samsung SyncMaster 300A 22 Inch 1920 X 1080 max res

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX670 OC 2GB vram GDDR5

yoToco94 said:
larkspur - Thanks for clearing this up. :)  So I should get a AMD or Radeon in the end? Or the GTX600 series? Which one would you get if u where going to do what Im trying to do?

AMD is Radeon bro :D . I don't know what Lark would go with but If I am going to play on multiple monitors, I'd go for the AMD HD 7970 over the GTX 670 and even the GTX 680.



Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:45:42 PM

yoToco94 said:
The one larkspur posted. :) 

Then you do not have SLi capability, you would need the LE, Pro or Deluxe version for that.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:48:45 PM

So AMD is going great right now. :)  I was checking them out but I dont see 3 ports for the monitors. :S How do I setup everything when I get the card? Also anyone could post a link to an AMD card? :S I see many card to deal with.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:51:35 PM

yoToco94 said:
larkspur - Thanks for clearing this up. :)  So I should get a AMD or Radeon in the end? Or the GTX600 series? Which one would you get if u where going to do what Im trying to do?

Ok, so your board is the one I linked right? So that means it isn't a good board for SLI or CrossFire. That limits you to using a single graphics card. My suggestion is to sell the 560 ti and get a 7970 3gb ghz edition since you don't have the budget for a dual-GPU card. You will be able to do three monitors with a single 7970 with reduced settings. You don't sound like you expect to max everything out anyway, so I think you'll be happy with that setup. Sound good?
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:51:39 PM

larkspur said:
Smiles and hugs Mouse :love:  I have every respect. I've just found that some people make assumptions about their boards without knowing what they really have. I would first confirm that is indeed an SLI capable motherboard, and then make a suggestion based on that. When I looked at the board on Asus' site, I assumed the OP just made a mistake about his board being SLI capable.

Assuming it is indeed a x8 speed 2nd slot, then I would still sell the 560ti 1gb bringing the budget up to $600 with the proceeds. Then I'd buy a couple of 7950s since they are $300 each and would remain in budget. That would yield a very capable triple monitor setup.

The OP claimed it was SLi capable and as I have an Asus P8P67 myself I know that they can be, many people do not list their specs fully and that's just the way it is.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 6:54:56 PM

larkspur said:
Ok, so your board is the one I linked right? So that means it isn't a good board for SLI or CrossFire. That limits you to using a single graphics card. My suggestion is to sell the 560 ti and get a 7970 3gb ghz edition since you don't have the budget for a dual-GPU card. You will be able to do three monitors with a single 7970 with reduced settings. You don't sound like you expect to max everything out anyway, so I think you'll be happy with that setup. Sound good?



Well the box of my Motherboard says its Crossfire ready, not Sli. :S ANd well Im ok with not having everything maxed out but I dont want low. :S Just like in the middle maybe a little high. I can run high settings in a few games I think.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:56:11 PM

larkspur said:
Ok, so your board is the one I linked right? So that means it isn't a good board for SLI or CrossFire. That limits you to using a single graphics card. My suggestion is to sell the 560 ti and get a 7970 3gb ghz edition since you don't have the budget for a dual-GPU card. You will be able to do three monitors with a single 7970 with reduced settings. You don't sound like you expect to max everything out anyway, so I think you'll be happy with that setup. Sound good?

It can't do SLi full stop, Nvidia won't allow a licence for SLi @ x4 because it kills the performance.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 6:56:29 PM

Here's a 7970 ghz edition: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suggest the more expensive ghz edition because you pretty much want as much power as you can get.

To setup three monitors with an AMD card will depend on your monitors connectivity. Read this sticky and let us know if you have any questions about how the monitors will be attached to the card: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344343-33-eyefinity-s...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 6:58:56 PM

yoToco94 said:
Well the box of my Motherboard says its Crossfire ready, not Sli. :S ANd well Im ok with not having everything maxed out but I dont want low. :S Just like in the middle maybe a little high. I can run high settings in a few games I think.


You are talking about a HUGE resolution that even the GTX 690 will tremble at. Actually, at least for a while till you save some money, do the following:
1- Buy an AMD HD 7970 GHZ edition
2- Play every game you want and adjust its settings to what you think is "playable" because for instance, some people see that 40 fps is playable, others not.
3- When you get more money and want to play at better graphic settings, buy another 7970 and crossfire it with the previously installed one.
4- Enjoy :) 
Score
0
December 22, 2012 7:09:03 PM

But how many AMD HD cards I need to do the 3 monitors? :S God this is hard for a noob like me!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 7:16:26 PM

Only one - Modern AMD radeon cards can output to more than two monitors at once. If none of your monitors has a DisplayPort connector, then ONE of the three must to connected using an Active DisplayPort adapter. It's in Hugo's sticky post.

Nvidia cards BEFORE the 600-series simply can't output to more than two monitors at once. That is why with 500-series cards you must have at least two cards to output to more than two monitors. An Nvidia 600-series card can output to ANY combination of the card's outputs (not just two at once but three or more at once).

If you get a 7970 and don't have a monitor with a DisplayPort input then you will need an ACTIVE DisplayPort adapater. It is preferable to get an ACTIVE DisplayPort -> DVI adapter (assuming your monitor accepts DVI). and use the card's two DVI ports for your other two monitors.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 7:16:40 PM

yoToco94 said:
But how many AMD HD cards I need to do the 3 monitors? :S God this is hard for a noob like me!


To play at higher graphics settings, 2 HD 7970 in Crossfire will be fine.
To play at normal graphics settings, 1 HD 7970 will be fine.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 7:26:53 PM

So in the end I need:

HD 7970

2 ACTIVE DisplayPort -> DVI adapter as I currently have 2 monitors that have slots fot DVI

1 more monitor of course.


Thing is that i saw at CompUSA one of their builds had the 3 monitors set up with Battlefield using the EVGA 680. :S
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 7:28:09 PM

Yes, The 6xx series of nVidia GTX CAN also play on three monitors, but their performance will be worse than the AMD HD 7970 because they got less vram and less memory bus width..
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 7:33:14 PM

Not quite:

3 DVI monitors. One 7970 graphics card.

Monitor A - DVI port to monitor
Monitor B - DVI port to monitor
Monitor C - [ACTIVE DisplayPort to DVI adapter] to monitor

Yes a single 680 can do three monitors too.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 7:33:53 PM

For me the performance was ok... what is wrong with having less ram and memory bus width? Could it die in the future or something?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 7:37:51 PM

There is nothing wrong with less ram/memory bus width, but the nVidia GTX 670/680 ones will perform weaker and weaker along with the AMD HD 7970 one at "Three monitors". the 7970 384 bit memory bus width will grant you better performance at that resolution than the 670/680 256 bit memory bus width. And for the vram, you can get the GTX 670 4GB vram but it will not be needed, the 3 vram of the 7970 will be enough, just quit worrying and go with it, you will like it :) 
Score
0
December 22, 2012 7:38:38 PM

But the HD 7970 only has one DVI port I looked wrong? :S
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 7:46:57 PM

If you are looking at the Gigabyte Windforce then here is the config:

3 DVI monitors. One GB Windforce 7970.

Monitor A - DVI port to monitor
Monitor B - [HDMI to DVI cable] to monitor
Monitor C - [Active *MINI Displayport* to DVI adapter] to monitor
Score
0
December 22, 2012 7:56:38 PM

Now I get it! :)  Thanks! Also one more last question, Ive two 19 inch monitors right now hooked up. But one is an Acer x193w+ that has a the resolution set to 1600x1200 and the other is an HP w1907 with a resolution of 1440x900. Does the resolution affect anything? :S I cant put them on the same cuz they wouldnt look right.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 7:59:15 PM

What do you mean by "affect" anything?
Score
0
December 22, 2012 8:01:29 PM

Like when everything is hooked up. Ive all 3 monitors up, they are the same size yet different resolution due to their settings. I dont know if you get me... =/
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 8:04:05 PM

I am not sure really but may be I guess you should have three monitors with the same resolution I guess especially if you are going to play on all of them, but if you are going to use one for gaming and another for browsing or surfing, then I guess it will be fine.
Score
0
!