Help setting up third monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello, I'm seeking expert help with my problem setting up a third monitor to play hardcore gaming across 3 monitors. I dont know what I need to set it up. My budget is no more than 500. Here is my setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67
RAM: 8GB DDR3
EDIT Graphic Cards: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1GB
Raidmax Blackstorm MID Size Tower
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
1TB Hard drive 7200 RPM
500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Coolermaster H60

What else do I need? I know another graphic Card but I dont know which one I need. I know mine is SLI ready if thats helpful somehow. Please help! Going to get that for Christmas!

Solution

:lol: I knew I should have followed-up my previous question about monitor res. Mixing resolutions is not good - on the Windows desktop it's fine. But games require a "single surface" combining all three monitors to present a single resolution "screen" to the game. If you try to mix resolutions, the card will take the resolution of the lowest-resolution monitor and triple it. If you combine a 1600x1200 with a 1440x900 with like a 1920x1080, the card will output to each individual monitor at the lowest one...

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

I can't open the link actually, there is something wrong with it.

Considering the combination issue, no you can't combine two different cards even if both are from nVidia or AMD. Like for example, you can't SLI GTX 560ti with GTX 570. It needs to be the same card no matter what is the manufacturing company for them.

I still suggest you on AMD HD 7970 over 2 GTX 560ti in SLI. AMD will simply preform better at higher resolutions :)

And by the way, what are your specs?

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Mousemonkey I dont mean to go against your suggestion or talking back but the guys at CompUSA said I should use the one in the link? :S Why would they say that? Would it be to get more money from me? I just want to play Battlefield 3 and other games that are capable of having all 3 monitors on, expanding my vision on the screen.

larkspur

Distinguished

I wouldn't run SLI/CF on a motherboard with a 2nd x16 slot that only runs at x4 speeds. But I'm not sure exactly how powerful a card is needed before that becomes a problem since oddly enough the board claims quad-CrossFire compliance...

It's possible to do triple monitors on a single 7970, but you'll be looking at lowered settings and fps. 2 x 560 ti 1gb will vram bottleneck like crazy even if your board's slow 2nd slot doesn't hamper it.

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

This are my Specs. Or do u mean something else?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67
RAM: 8GB DDR3
EDIT Graphic Cards: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1GB
Raidmax Blackstorm MID Size Tower
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
1TB Hard drive 7200 RPM
500GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Coolermaster H60

And the link is about the EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti. Guys at CompUSA said I should use that one. :S And the AMD u are telling me about, does it support all 3 monitors just from one graphic card? O.O never seen that. Mine only supports 2 VGA/DVI and a mini HDMI Connector.

That mobo runs the second slot at x8 (at least mine does) and a second 560 would be cheaper and probably be less of a hassle to set up.

larkspur

Distinguished

If the guys at CompUSA told you to use that card for triple monitor, they really don't know what they are talking about. Sell the 560 ti 1gb - a 1gb card is not enough for triple monitor (period). Get the most powerful 7970 ghz edition 3gb card you can find - with your motherboard's limitation, that's the best you can do for under $500.

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

What do u mean by this? I mean Im not looking for something so WOW OVER THE EDGE gaming. My budget only gives me the You are here just to play, not looking for a best graphics. Of course I dont want to go lower of what i got know. Im happy with my current setup and how it looks, I dont want to downgrade just for a graphic card.

bignastyid

Titan
For triple monitors on one card you need either a Nvidia GTX 6 series or an ATI HD that supports eyefinity. If you want to run 3 1080p monitors on demanding games you''ll need at least a GTX 680(or oced 670) or a HD 7970. If you want to run games like far cry 3 at that res you may want to SLI or crossfire 2 of those high end cards or get a GTX 690 or HD7990. You may be able to get away with adding anither 560ti but you may end up running at low to medium settings at 5760x1080. For $500 I'd get a 680 or 7970(look up the benchmarks for the games you want to play and buy the best performer).

What limitation is that if the OP has the SLi capable ASUS P8P67 ?

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Yes The AMD HD 7970 is capable of running three monitors by itself without Crossfire thanks to its 3 GB vram and more memory bus width (384 bit). GTX 660ti is not really a multiple monitors card so ignore what CompUSA guys are saying.

larkspur

Distinguished

Are these 1080p monitors? Triple 1080 monitors is massive resolution. Massive resolution requires powerful GPUs with plenty of vram (2gb or more) to get playable frame-rates. That's all I'm saying. If you try to do triple monitors with a 1gb card, your card will be vram bottlenecked (it won't have enough video RAM to play properly). You want at least a 7970.

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Even if your motherboard supports SLI, AMD HD 7970 is much better than having another GTX560 ti put in SLI.

EDIT: I don't want you to think I am an AMD fanboy :p Actually I never used any ATI cards before and I have always been using nVidia because I play at one monitor only. But from what I have read and seen around, AMD provide better solutions for gaming on multiple monitors :)

larkspur

Distinguished

Ok. So you are willing to assume that the OP has the SLI capable version without confirming it and suggesting he get a another 560ti 1gb for a triple monitor setup where it will clearly not have enough vram?

yoTaco94 - Sorry that we have confused you. It's one thing to hook up three monitors in Windows extended desktop - that can be done with minimal GPU horsepower. But if you want to GAME on all three monitors at the same time (one big screen) you need a powerful GPU with plenty of vram. A GTX670 or GTX680 or Radeon 7970 is what I recommend. 2 x 560 ti 1gb is NOT suitable for triple 1080p gaming - each GPU does not have enough video RAM).

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

I 100% agree with what Lark just said. Adding 1 GB GTX 560ti to another 1 GB GTX 560ti will NOT make it 2 GB vram :))

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

The one larkspur posted. :)

Commanderr - Thanks :) What is your setup? If u can tell me, just to compare our sets.

larkspur - Thanks for clearing this up. :) So I should get a AMD or Radeon in the end? Or the GTX600 series? Which one would you get if u where going to do what Im trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.