?? 16 bit Windows Subsystem ??

Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
to terminate the application.<
Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
Blessings,
--
Thank Ya Kindly,
Danny

    Hi Danny,

    You can solve that problem by replacing the file:

    Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Otherwise...

    1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

    2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

    * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:4E27B919-7245-48E5-82C6-CC1C425916FE@microsoft.com...
    | Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
    | applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
    | on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
    | when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
    | error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
    | to terminate the application.<
    | Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
    | the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
    | color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
    | I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
    | I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
    | 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
    | 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
    | Blessings,
    | --
    | Thank Ya Kindly,
    | Danny

    Thanks Jimmy the quick fix worked, and now no more error msg. Weee I sure
    appreciate the help

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Danny,
    >
    > You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
    >
    > Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    > Otherwise...
    >
    > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >
    > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >

    > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >

    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:4E27B919-7245-48E5-82C6-CC1C425916FE@microsoft.com...
    > | Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
    > | applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
    > | on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
    > | when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
    > | error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    > | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
    > | to terminate the application.<
    > | Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
    > | the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
    > | color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
    > | I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
    > | I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
    > | 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
    > | 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
    > | Blessings,
    > | --
    > | Thank Ya Kindly,
    > | Danny

    You're welcome Danny, I'm glad we could help and thanks for posting! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:CD2D4A56-4E54-40F1-9AFA-96DC7BB8E7FA@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks Jimmy the quick fix worked, and now no more error msg. Weee I sure
    > appreciate the help
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Danny,
    >>
    >> You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
    >>
    >> Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >>
    >> Otherwise...
    >>
    >> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    >> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >>
    >> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    >> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >>

    >> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    >> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    >> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>

    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>

    >> "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> | Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
    >> | applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
    >> | on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
    >> | when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
    >> | error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    >> | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
    >> | to terminate the application.<
    >> | Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
    >> | the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
    >> | color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
    >> | I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
    >> | I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
    >> | 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
    >> | 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
    >> | Blessings,
    >> | --
    >> | Thank Ya Kindly,
    >> | Danny

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    I get the same error and result when trying to play " BrainJam". Any help
    would be appreciated.
    Jan
    ---------------------------------------
    "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
    > applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go
    easy
    > on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
    > when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get
    this
    > error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    > suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose
    Close
    > to terminate the application.<
    > Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
    > the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
    > color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
    > I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
    > I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000
    2100Mhz.
    > 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto,
    AGP
    > 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
    > Blessings,
    > --
    > Thank Ya Kindly,
    > Danny
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Jan,

    Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

    "Jan Moore" <janmoore@empirenet.com> wrote in message news:uPkjCcAKFHA.572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >I get the same error and result when trying to play " BrainJam". Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    > Jan
    > ---------------------------------------
    > "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
    >> applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go
    > easy
    >> on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
    >> when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get
    > this
    >> error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    >> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose
    > Close
    >> to terminate the application.<
    >> Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
    >> the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
    >> color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
    >> I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
    >> I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000
    > 2100Mhz.
    >> 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto,
    > AGP
    >> 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
    >> Blessings,
    >> --