?? 16 bit Windows Subsystem ??

March 11, 2005 5:09:02 AM

Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
to terminate the application.<
Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
Blessings,
--
Thank Ya Kindly,
Danny

More about : bit windows subsystem

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:39:12 PM

Hi Danny,

You can solve that problem by replacing the file:

Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Otherwise...

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:4E27B919-7245-48E5-82C6-CC1C425916FE@microsoft.com...
| Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
| applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
| on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
| when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
| error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
| suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
| to terminate the application.<
| Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
| the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
| color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
| I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
| I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
| 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
| 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
| Blessings,
| --
| Thank Ya Kindly,
| Danny
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:33:02 PM

Thanks Jimmy the quick fix worked, and now no more error msg. Weee I sure
appreciate the help

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
>
> Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> Otherwise...
>
> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>

> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>

> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:4E27B919-7245-48E5-82C6-CC1C425916FE@microsoft.com...
> | Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
> | applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
> | on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
> | when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
> | error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
> | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
> | to terminate the application.<
> | Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
> | the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
> | color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
> | I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
> | I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
> | 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
> | 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
> | Blessings,
> | --
> | Thank Ya Kindly,
> | Danny

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:29:31 PM

You're welcome Danny, I'm glad we could help and thanks for posting! :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message news:CD2D4A56-4E54-40F1-9AFA-96DC7BB8E7FA@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Jimmy the quick fix worked, and now no more error msg. Weee I sure
> appreciate the help
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Danny,
>>
>> You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
>>
>> Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>>
>> Otherwise...
>>
>> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
>> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>>
>> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
>> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>>

>> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
>> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
>> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>>

>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>

>> "Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>> | Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
>> | applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go easy
>> | on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
>> | when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get this
>> | error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
>> | suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose Close
>> | to terminate the application.<
>> | Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
>> | the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
>> | color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
>> | I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
>> | I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000 2100Mhz.
>> | 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto, AGP
>> | 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
>> | Blessings,
>> | --
>> | Thank Ya Kindly,
>> | Danny

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:58:17 PM

I get the same error and result when trying to play " BrainJam". Any help
would be appreciated.
Jan
---------------------------------------
"Oh_Danny_Boy" <Oh_Danny_Boy@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> Hi, I have gotten this same error several times with a few different
> applications, mostly with games. I am a new gameing person so please go
easy
> on me, LOL. One game fore instence Maximum Underworld, Mafia & Max Payne,
> when I load the cd into the drive it starts to run then stops and I get
this
> error mesg, > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose
Close
> to terminate the application.<
> Can someone please explain what this is, I have no clue. I have gone into
> the desktop properties and on setings changed from 32 bit color to 16 bit
> color, but it made no difference, I still recieved the same error.
> I sure would appreciate any direction and help here.
> I am running a Compaq Presario, xp profesional. AMD Athlon xp 3000
2100Mhz.
> 767 MB ram. 160 gig HD. My graphics card I just installed is a PNY Verto,
AGP
> 8x GE Force FX 5700. with 256 MB DDR
> Blessings,
> --
> Thank Ya Kindly,
> Danny
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:07:24 PM

Hi Jan,

Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

!