Appropriate air cooler for an i7 975

keeperos

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hello, been a long time since I last posted here.
Anyway, for reasons mainly monetary I just now built a brand new 1366 system comprising of the 975 Intel i7 Extreme, 6 DIMMs of 2GB OCZ OCZ3V1333LV2G for a total of 12GB, my old GTX 280 (but I am planning on an upgrade in the near future, not sure what yet but gunning for a GTX 570-580) all of which sit on the excellent Gigabyte G1 Sniper inside the Hyper Osiris mid-tower case.

The CPU is at 3.33 MHz stock with a 133 base clock and a multiplier of 25.
All that I want is to put the core clock at 166-168MHz, thus effectively overclocking it to about 4.175 - 4.2MHz. Nothing extreme really. Also, the RAM DIMMs are rated at 1333 and have no XMP profiles but much to my surprise, they reached 1600 as simply as setting their multiplier to 12 and the voltage to 1.64. However they have no heatsinks. So, if I were to overclock the base clock to 166-168 the RAM DIMMs should, theoretically reach 1660-1680 and still work fine but would also generate an excess of heat.

I want to have that setup for 24/7 use.

Based on the above, which air cooling solution would be appropriate for me?
Do note that money will be a limiting factor but on the other hand I kept my last PC for almost 5 years and plan on doing something similar with this one as well so I kinda see a good air cooling system as a long-term investment too, both to the longevity of the parts as well as the peace of my ears!

I would also consider a closed circuit water cooling system but my case can't fit the H100 and from what I read none of the others reach the cooling potential of a good air cooling solution.

Thanks in advance!!!

keeperos

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Bump,

come on guys, I really need the help.
Basically I am looking for a cooling solution that's adequate for a 4.2GHz overclock without having to resort to something as massive, heavy and expensive as a Noctua D-14 or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Also, it would be nice if it would cool the RAM modules as well, it'd allow me to squeeze a few extra MHz out of them.

Thanks!

keeperos

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
You are correct of course but this forum doesn't allow for image linking.

In any case, here are a few stock photos of the case and MoBo plus a couple bad snaps from a phone to show you the interior of the case, mind you the case doens't offer cable management but it is pretty clean right now, most cables visible in the photos are actually behind the mobo plate, between the case and the right cover so no real problems with air flow:

int1.jpg
SIDE
int7.jpg
FRONT
int5.jpg
BOTTOM

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/3760/3896_big.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/3760/4638_big.jpg

20120507231528.jpg

20120507231606.jpg

One 120mm fan in front of the HDDs taking air in, one 140mm fan in the 5.25" bays again intaking air, cooling the graphics card and partly the RAMs, a 120mm fan on the back plus another on the ceiling, both taking air out of the case.

A 240mm fan is in the plans obviously, just need to take the plexiglas window to be copied and cut for the fan (I don't want to ruin the original one so I'll just have a new one made).

I had my eye on the 212 EVO, I just can't find it here...

BTW, your post is missing the link to the list, could you please re-post it?

Thanks!!!

It does allow image tags, but there may be a minimum post requirement.

Ooops, here you go:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2655&page=5

I'm not sure you have the space for a LARGE side fan AND a full sized CPU cooler. You might want to measure things out first to be sure. I do like the case, it's similar to the Silverstone Tj09 I used for many years until just recently.

There was a study done several years ago, with DDR2 I think, that showed most heatsinks were useless and just for show. If you wanted to test the temps, one of those cheap little infrared thermometers would work well.

keeperos

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Yes, I REALLY like this case. I have the chance of buying either the Silverstone TJ07 or the CoolerMaster Stacker 830 but I really like the one I have now (it was a present from a friend to boot).

But once again you are correct. I measured about 17cm from the edge of the motherboard to the inside of the cover, I also estimate about 1cm worth of height for the mounting mechanism and CPU so I'm guessing I'm cutting it REALLY close even as it is.

Would the SilverStone Nitrogon NT06 Evolution be a good choice then?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=190

I can buy it for about the same price as the 212, less if it accepts 140mm fans (which I have one) but from their site it appears it was designed for the small form factor cases where the PSU sits directly over the cooler so that it uses the PSU's fan for cooling.

As such I am worried about the havoc it'll cause to my case's front-to-back+top air flow...