Sign in with
Your question

New Build for Gaming and Adobe Suite CS6 & more

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 10:35:54 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm very excited that I've finally put away enough cash for a brand new PC build and I want it to be a nice lil' rocket. I don't want to go crazy-over-the-top or get into any overclocking (for now), but I'm building my PC having in mind I will be adding a second GPU, an SSD and cooling equipment for the overclocking later along the line.

So, without further ado, here is my new rig info:

Approximate Purchase Date: this week/next week

Budget Range:

- i already have enough money for the components I have in mind

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

- rendering (graphic/video/audio workbench), gaming of course, watching movies, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: it's a brand new build

Do you need to buy OS: No, I will be using one that is already purchased. Windows 7 Ultimate

Location: Bucharest, Romania (just don't mind this, I only want advice on the build itself and the compatibility, not prices)

Parts Preferences: Intel, ASUS, Corsair, Kingston

Overclocking: Maybe (in the not-so-distant future)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (same as above)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 - it's a Samsung SyncMaster. I will be buying a bigger one in the future and also will want a dual/triple monitor setup

Additional Comments:

I'll be doing heavy Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro rendering, 3DSmax rendering, sustaining interactive installations with MIDI/OSC interfaces (this means running several software clients at the same time), and other stuff such as the usual Photoshop, Illustrator and any other program you could think of that has to do with graphic/audio/video design/editing/production :D 

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: i need a new computer that will last about 3-4 years before upgrading

Parts:

Motherboard:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO/REV3.0, Socket 1155, ATX

(i couldn't find this model on any english websites, but it seems to be a very successful motherboard on Romanian websites :-/ I included a link that's in Romanian, sorry...but the specs are still ok to read)

http://www.emag.ro/placa-de-baza-asus-socket-1155-p8z77...

Processor:

IntelĀ® CoreTM i5 3570K, Ivy Bridge, 3400MHz, 6MB socket 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU:

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

RAM Memory:

Dual Channel Kit Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8192MB), DDR3,1600MHz

HDD:

Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA3

PSU:

Corsair TX850M V2, 850W, ATX 2.3

Case:

Cooler Master Elite 430 Black

Extra Fans:

2x Enermax UCMA12 Magma, 120 x 120 x 25mm

and, of course, mouse, keyboard and a DVD writer.

so, please be free to give me any advice you may have :)  Thank you in advance and have a beautiful day :D 

February 6, 2013 10:44:47 PM

Very nice post and very nice build!

Since you are into Photo editing consider 32 GBs of RAM.

Have fun!
February 6, 2013 11:55:19 PM

Thank you for the feedback! :) 

Yes, I am considering 32Gb, that is why I will get a 2 x 8Gb kit first and in a few months buy another similar kit and have 32Gb :) 
Related resources
February 7, 2013 12:06:09 AM

awakened_primate said:
Thank you for the feedback! :) 

Yes, I am considering 32Gb, that is why I will get a 2 x 8Gb kit first and in a few months buy another similar kit and have 32Gb :) 

Yes and make sure that they are matched; same type same manufacturer would be ideal!
February 7, 2013 10:38:22 AM

Ubrales said:
Yes and make sure that they are matched; same type same manufacturer would be ideal!

Of course! I had a problem in the past with a couple of memory sticks that got fried and gave me a really bad time so yes, I WILL make sure they're exactly the same kind :D 

The only thing I'm a little curious (and a bit worried) about is the motherboard...I can't seem to find any English specifications for that particular model :| Dunno what's going on, but it seems to be 100% compatible with the processor... :??: 
February 7, 2013 10:38:30 AM

Ubrales said:

Of course! I had a problem in the past with a couple of memory sticks that got fried and gave me a really bad time so yes, I WILL make sure they're exactly the same kind :D 

The only thing I'm a little curious (and a bit worried) about is the motherboard...I can't seem to find any English specifications for that particular model :| Dunno what's going on, but it seems to be 100% compatible with the processor... :??: 
February 7, 2013 10:47:05 AM

Ubrales said:

Yes, of course I will get EXACTLY same kind of memories for the mini-upgrade :D 

The only thing that maybe worries me a bit is the motherboard...can't really find that model's specifications anywhere in English...i did find specs for P8Z77-V PRO LGA, but I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with that "REV3.0" part :??: 

Off topic: Oh, snap! Triple post? I kept trying to edit the first post but was getting "the site is currently unavailable" page :(  Tried to delete but I'm not allowed....
February 7, 2013 11:38:21 AM

Yes that happens at times. Don't worry I read it three times! :) 
February 7, 2013 2:00:27 PM

@Ubrales

Yes, I've chacked out the specs to that card. So the "REV3.0" thing doesn't mean anything?

@Noob12

Wow, that PSU looks niiiice, especially since it has removable cables :D  But it's a bit out of my budget range with the prices in Romania, at least :(  I'll keep that in mind for a future upgrade :D  I have another PC and can transfer the Corsair PSU to that one when I get this one from SeaSonic :D 
February 7, 2013 2:31:22 PM

awakened_primate said:
@Ubrales

Yes, I've chacked out the specs to that card. So the "REV3.0" thing doesn't mean anything?

@Noob12

Wow, that PSU looks niiiice, especially since it has removable cables :D  But it's a bit out of my budget range with the prices in Romania, at least :(  I'll keep that in mind for a future upgrade :D  I have another PC and can transfer the Corsair PSU to that one when I get this one from SeaSonic :D 

All products are revised throughout the manufacturing stages; it is an on-going process. As far as this motherboard is concerned ir is in rev3 which means that certain features have been added, subtracted, or debugged. It is the latest revision.

Coming to modular PSUs. Corsair (and others) do make some nice modular PSUs; and some are fully modular including the 24-pins cable. Their HX series is fine, and their AX series has recently been revised to a newer series and some are digital. The older AX series have no markings on the output ports. More detailed info at Corsair's site.
February 8, 2013 10:46:51 AM

Ubrales said:
All products are revised throughout the manufacturing stages; it is an on-going process. As far as this motherboard is concerned ir is in rev3 which means that certain features have been added, subtracted, or debugged. It is the latest revision.

Coming to modular PSUs. Corsair (and others) do make some nice modular PSUs; and some are fully modular including the 24-pins cable. Their HX series is fine, and their AX series has recently been revised to a newer series and some are digital. The older AX series have no markings on the output ports. More detailed info at Corsair's site.

Oh, perfect...so I'm just getting the most latest revised model, that's great! :)  Makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing that up, cheers!!!

Also, thanks for explaining the modula PSUs to me, I will have to get one of these when I get my second GPU, it just makes sense :)  Just need to wait one more year, I guess I'll be happy with the current build 'till then :D 
March 27, 2013 1:26:41 PM

I threw in a gtx 660 ti (msi edition) into my old dell prebuilt (16gb ram, phenom ii x4 2.8ghz) and its great. Super fast and is awesome for gaming as well. Definitely the most worthwile upgrade i've done. Dunno about the cpu and all just wanted to throw that out there XD
March 27, 2013 1:27:25 PM

I use it in premiere and ae and its awesome, I can do like 50 curves effects, and then add a couple 3 way color corrections and other random effects and adjust them all in real time as the movie is playing. Freaking amazing.
March 27, 2013 3:00:31 PM

Nice!
!