Help upgrading my graphics card.

I'm not very smart with computers but I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, I need to know all the steps I need to take to figure out what type of card I can buy, here are my specs

http://imgur.com/npnBu

if there's anything else you need to know just ask me, I'm looking at the AMD radeon 7870 or maybe something a little less expensive, if you could start by pointing me in the right direction with the correct knowledge I need, that'd be great.
8 answers Last reply
More about help upgrading graphics card
  1. I guess you should upgrade your CPU as well, since any good graphics card will be bottlenecked.

And what is your motherboard?

And what is your GPU max budget?
  2. My max budget is around 150-200$ what does it mean to be "Bottlenecked" and how do I figure out my motherboard? :)
  3. Bottlenecking mean that your CPU might be weak and that will limit the GPU performance even if its a good card.

Considering the motherboard, is that the PC you have?
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03363664&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187022&prodTypeId=12454
  4. Yes it is, good find.

EDIT: On further examination most of it is the same besides very minor differences, it says I have a terabyte of diskspace, where I actually have 914 GB I don't know if they just rounded up or if its not my exact pc, but yeah it looks from the outside 100% similar and it has matching cores and ram amount

EDIT AGAIN: I used a program called everest ultimate and it said "Your mother board name is unknown"
  5. Its the same PC. 1 TB don't mean 1000 GB. Its always lower. For me, I have 2 TB and the actual space is 1862 GB :)

For the GPU, the 7870 is certainly above 200 dollars mate but slightly higher like 220 or something. So if your budget is 220, I guess you should better go with the GTX 660 :) It will preform amazingly. HOWEVER, your CPU is kind of weak, so I think it will limit the performance of your card.
  6. how much would it limit it? and if its gonna limit it what less expensive card should I get so I dont have to worry about it getting bottlenecked.
  7. xBello12 said:
    how much would it limit it? and if its gonna limit it what less expensive card should I get so I dont have to worry about it getting bottlenecked.

What is the resolution of your monitor?
  8. I have dual monitors, my first one is set at 1600x900 the second one is at 1366x768
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computers Graphics