Graphics Card Won't Work

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2012 9:00:33 PM

Hey -

I'm a first time builder and so far everything is going great with my PC - system boots, I've installed Windows 8, etc. but I am running my displays off the Intel 4000.

I recently received the below graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When I installed it on the PCI 3.0 in my motherboard (ASRock Z75 Pro 3), the fan on the card went on. However, a signal is not sent from the card to the monitors. I returned the card, received another one, and am having the same issues. I have troubleshooted by doing the following:

1) Systems>Devices on Windows does not detect any "Other Devices." It does not detect my graphics card at all.

2) Power connector is in the card - fan runs when the computer is running. However, my card does only have one power input, and the instruction manual shows 2 - not sure if that's an issue.

3) I installed the card in my PCI 2.0 slot as well, just to see if it works. Does not run/is not detected in that slot either.

4) I installed the driver prior to installing my card.

5)I am using the same connectors to my Intel 4000 sockets as I am to the graphics card, so it shouldn't be an issue with the connectors or monitors.

I am at wits end on this issue. Before I return this for the second time, I just want to make sure I troubleshoot it thoroughly. My only guess is that either 1) My card is bad, 2) I accidentally damaged the cards when installing, or 3) I am not pushing the card in all the way into the slot (I don't hear a click, but I do push it down quite firmly and it feels snug to the touch - however, there is some strange sliding plastic thing on the end of the PCI slot - not sure if that's interfering in any way )

I am using the Intel I7 Ivy Bridge processor, and my power supply is more than ample to handle the card (650 watts).

Any thoughts?

More about : graphics card work

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 9:38:10 PM

brobich said:
Hey -

I'm a first time builder and so far everything is going great with my PC - system boots, I've installed Windows 8, etc. but I am running my displays off the Intel 4000.

I recently received the below graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When I installed it on the PCI 3.0 in my motherboard (ASRock Z75 Pro 3), the fan on the card went on. However, a signal is not sent from the card to the monitors. I returned the card, received another one, and am having the same issues. I have troubleshooted by doing the following:

1) Systems>Devices on Windows does not detect any "Other Devices." It does not detect my graphics card at all.

2) Power connector is in the card - fan runs when the computer is running. However, my card does only have one power input, and the instruction manual shows 2 - not sure if that's an issue.

3) I installed the card in my PCI 2.0 slot as well, just to see if it works. Does not run/is not detected in that slot either.

4) I installed the driver prior to installing my card.

5)I am using the same connectors to my Intel 4000 sockets as I am to the graphics card, so it shouldn't be an issue with the connectors or monitors.

I am at wits end on this issue. Before I return this for the second time, I just want to make sure I troubleshoot it thoroughly. My only guess is that either 1) My card is bad, 2) I accidentally damaged the cards when installing, or 3) I am not pushing the card in all the way into the slot (I don't hear a click, but I do push it down quite firmly and it feels snug to the touch - however, there is some strange sliding plastic thing on the end of the PCI slot - not sure if that's interfering in any way )

I am using the Intel I7 Ivy Bridge processor, and my power supply is more than ample to handle the card (650 watts).

Any thoughts?

Make and model of your power supply?
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 10:22:06 PM

Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green 650W Power Supply ATX12V 2X38A SLI/CROSSFIRE Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze
m
l
a c 207 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 11:18:48 PM

make sure you have the newest bios.one of the bios patches is for vga cards. make sure you installed the intel chipset drivers so that the mb has the pci drivers. in the bios make sure you have both video chipset turned on.
m
l
!