670 now or wait for 770?

cam51037

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my 7850 to a GTX 670. My 7850 doesn't seem to do everything I want it to do, and after experiencing AMD drivers, I'm probably not going to go back until they figure their driver troubles out.

So anyway, I'm thinking about an EVGA GTX 670 Signature2 FTW card. Reason I'm looking at this exact card is because of it's 680 cooling design, it's EVGA (awesome support) and it comes factory overclocked (not a major reason).

Here's what I plan to use it for
-Folding@Home
-Gaming
-Rendering videos

So what would you recommend doing? Should I go for a 670 now, and when games and such require more power go for an SLI so I'll get double performance, or should I just wait for a 770?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I have an i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz, as well as 2 monitors at 1600x900 resolution (streched desktop)

cam51037

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Yes I already have a buyer for my 7850. Just waiting for a deposit on it, and then I'll have a buyer. Then I'll be GPU-less and can pick another one whenever.

@Commanderrr That's what I thought. I've heard the only real difference is that the 770 will be ~15% better performance than a 670, which can be easily compensated for through an OC.

Guess whoever told you that thinks they can see the future :) 15% is certainly plausible, but there's no way to know until it's been released to reviewers and benchmarked. And as for overclocking, GTX770 will overclock too - maybe more than a GTX670 would. It'll probably reach GTX780 levels (which people will make a big deal out of) but the GTX780 will probably only be slightly faster anyway, so not saying much. And of course the GTX780 will overclock too. Really can't say about the exact differences though, too early to tell.

I'm in the same situation as you - have a Radeon I don't want, would love a GTX670, but wondering if I'll regret buying one if the GTX770 turns out to be 30%+ faster. I've decided to play less demanding games for a few months and grab the GTX770.

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Actually in the world of technology, there is a new thing every day so waiting for a "better" card will last forever [You could wait for the 770 but after a few months 870 will come out and then 970 and so on so it will be endless]. Just enjoy with the best nowadays and upgrade when things really need an upgrade. Thats how technology work.

Well I did used to think that, but it depends how close the new model is. If my 5970 had died in the summer, I would have bought a GTX670, because GTX770 would be almost a year away. But we're only a few months from the GTX770 now, could be as early as March (though probably May).

Black Ops 2 isn't too demanding, I think I can almost max it at 1080p and AA with what I have. Same for Dishonoured, Starcraft 2, maybe Far Cry 2 (not 3 of course). Should be plenty for a few months. My brother bought a Vertex 3 just a few weeks before the Samsung 830 launched. I would have been really disappointed if I did that! I think this is similar.