Problem with DVI-I to VGA Adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I'm sorry to bring up an adapter problem but I have tried several different things and can not find the solution. I have an XFX 7950 graphics card and a 10 year old Dell VGA monitor (which I am stuck with untill i buy a new monitor) and a Dynex DVI to VGA adapter. I understand that you would need DVI-I to work with my adapter and that is what I have on the back of my graphics card. I tried hooking the DVI end of the adapter into the graphics card and hooking one end of the VGA cable into the adapter and the other into my monitor, as i do this the monitor goes from displaying the color test screen to a blank black screen in standby mode. I have not done the removal of the 12th pin technique yet but I have tried 2 different monitors, 2 different cables all of which I know work, and 2 different adapters. This is my first build but I was able to get everything else working but for some reason im stuck at this monitor and I need to get it working. Also as a final note the fans on the video card are spinning which i'm not sure means anything but I would assume means I have power going to it.

Solution
DVI-D is digital only. VGA won't work if you plug it into a DVI-D plug. DVI-A exists, but I've never seen in the wild. DVI-I is the combo of both and in my opinion should be the only plug used on a GPU.

Can you borrow a different monitor? Go into the settings and make sure its set for something the monitor can handle? 1024x768 @60hz should be ok.
Did you attempt this while the computer was on or off. Also why aren't you using a DVI -D isn't that more or less what you should be using if you are wanting to convert from VGA to DVI. I'm not certain but I thought the DVI-I was more intended for higher resolution displays which may be your issue as well.

G

I tried hooking it up on and off and both times the monitor went into standoff mode. My graphics card only has a DVI-I connector on it (or hdmi) but the adapter that plugs into it appears to be DVI-A. I do not know if this would be causing the problem or if I could find a way to use DVI-D.

4745454b

Titan
DVI-D is digital only. VGA won't work if you plug it into a DVI-D plug. DVI-A exists, but I've never seen in the wild. DVI-I is the combo of both and in my opinion should be the only plug used on a GPU.

Can you borrow a different monitor? Go into the settings and make sure its set for something the monitor can handle? 1024x768 @60hz should be ok.

Solution
G

I tired changing it to 1024x768 in the menu of the monitor and turned the powersave off and just got a no input message. I will try adjusting the monitor again.

Update: I changed the monitor to 800x600 and plugged it in and I still got the no input message.

G

would I have to change that on the computer itself, because the computer turns on fine but I wouldnt be able to change anything because I can't see anything without the monitor.

G

I just borrowed another monitor and dvi cable and got the monitor to work. I will set up my computer and change the resolution on the computer to work with the old monitor and adapter. I think I have it covered from here but thanks for your help, I was a little hesitant at first to ask my question but im glad I did and thank you for helping me out.

G

You were also correct about the resolution of DVI-I being too high for the montior. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.