Radeon HD 7770 overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan10800

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hey all, I just bought myself a new Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 and so far i'm very pleased. I just wanted to see if I could boost the performance a little but every time i try to overclock just a little, the drivers crash during gameplay or stress testing. The stock clocks are at 1150 core and 1250 memory. Any suggestions on what to do? Would upping the power control settings allow me to overclock it? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Upping power control settings can sometimes help
but honestly overclocking GPU's is a game of change, some will overclock while others will not.
This is especially more prevalent in the cheaper end cards where they have less power phases and usually cheaper memory which can limit the ability to overclock

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Upping power control settings can sometimes help
but honestly overclocking GPU's is a game of change, some will overclock while others will not.
This is especially more prevalent in the cheaper end cards where they have less power phases and usually cheaper memory which can limit the ability to overclock

Solution
Stock clocks for the 7770 are 1000 MHz core and 1125 MHz (4500 MT/s) memory, so it's already overclocked out of the box. You'd still expect at least a little more room to scale though. It's unusual for a card to be factory overclocked right to the limit.

Does it cope with stress tests at regular clocks? The problem might be something else than the GPU being unable to cope with the overclock.

What software are you using to overclock the GPU?

Evan10800

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
It's a Sapphire GHz OC edition. First I used MSI Afterburner to try to overclock, and when that didn't work I just used to catalyst control center, but both still crashed the drivers. When I run furmark at stock settings it's perfectly fine. I got to 1200 core and 1300 memory and it seems fine. But is that as far as I can go?

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

+1
You'll not get a Huge Boost even if you OC the card.
You can't Deny that the Card is weak and will not give a Reasonable performance even if you OC more 50Mhz.

Thats the Limit of that Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.