$1000 PC Build

Hello, this is my first post here, and im going to use it to ask a question! :D Well, I built my gaming computer during christmas, and that made my dad start thinking about getting me to build him a computer ( his is about 6 years old), but he wants me to use $1000 on it ( he would buy the parts). The problem is that I dont want to overkill on it.
My dad wants to use the computer primarily for accessing his work computer from home, email, etc. I know that he wants to have a SSD (probably 128 GB) and a 1TB HDD (he also wanted speed for accessing files). Im not sure how i can do this. Ive heard some people say the the xeon processors are good, but I think they're talking about graphic design/hevay editing pc's. Any heLP? D:

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Approximate Purchase Date: A month or so

Budget Range: $1000 ( possibly 1100) After rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Accessing work computer from home, casual internet surfing, fast file access, etc

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: New PC

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (windows 7 proffesional)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Intel, western digital, sony, etc

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments: No accessories needed.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading : Old PC
5 answers Last reply
More about 1000 build
  1. You might want to fill out this form, it will give us the info needed to best help you.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice
  2. I really dont want to be one of those people who keep spamming bump, but I would like an awnser if im going to take up server space.
  3. You shouldn't bump posts.
    An i5 will be more than suffice, also 8GB of ram will be plenty, there's no need for windows 7 pro, for this situation, my suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.05 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
    Total: $707.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  4. Edit: ditto what he said ^^^

I don't claim to be an expert but I would say an Xeon would be too niche of a product and you would end up having to spend more on it by buying the motherboard and things. if it is just browsing the web and accessing files I would say to take a look at the new APUs even though you said you'd prefer Intel. if you are set on Intel then maybe a ivy bridge Core i3 or i5. I really don't think your Dad needs to spend $1000 on a PC just for those tasks unless he wants it to last for years and years and... well you get the point :)
  5. this is my recomendation as you havent metion any gaming 1gb video will do and the price is cutting it close at = $991

the parts can be found at http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/BZuR
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computers Build Systems Product