Sign in with
Your question

$1000 PC Build

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2013 1:16:33 AM

Hello, this is my first post here, and im going to use it to ask a question! :D  Well, I built my gaming computer during christmas, and that made my dad start thinking about getting me to build him a computer ( his is about 6 years old), but he wants me to use $1000 on it ( he would buy the parts). The problem is that I dont want to overkill on it.
My dad wants to use the computer primarily for accessing his work computer from home, email, etc. I know that he wants to have a SSD (probably 128 GB) and a 1TB HDD (he also wanted speed for accessing files). Im not sure how i can do this. Ive heard some people say the the xeon processors are good, but I think they're talking about graphic design/hevay editing pc's. Any heLP? D:

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Approximate Purchase Date: A month or so

Budget Range: $1000 ( possibly 1100) After rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Accessing work computer from home, casual internet surfing, fast file access, etc

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: New PC

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (windows 7 proffesional)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Intel, western digital, sony, etc

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments: No accessories needed.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading : Old PC

More about : 1000 build

February 7, 2013 2:21:02 AM

I really dont want to be one of those people who keep spamming bump, but I would like an awnser if im going to take up server space.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2013 2:30:21 AM

You shouldn't bump posts.
An i5 will be more than suffice, also 8GB of ram will be plenty, there's no need for windows 7 pro, for this situation, my suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.05 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $707.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
February 7, 2013 2:38:14 AM

Edit: ditto what he said ^^^

I don't claim to be an expert but I would say an Xeon would be too niche of a product and you would end up having to spend more on it by buying the motherboard and things. if it is just browsing the web and accessing files I would say to take a look at the new APUs even though you said you'd prefer Intel. if you are set on Intel then maybe a ivy bridge Core i3 or i5. I really don't think your Dad needs to spend $1000 on a PC just for those tasks unless he wants it to last for years and years and... well you get the point :) 
February 7, 2013 10:17:24 AM

this is my recomendation as you havent metion any gaming 1gb video will do and the price is cutting it close at = $991

the parts can be found at http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/BZuR
!