Sign in with
Your question

Which video card for a small PC with a crappy power supply ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2012 11:09:48 PM

I got a Lenovo H430 5311430 desktop PC. It has an i5 3330 processor. It's brand new in the box, waiting for Xmas day. (it's a present for the family). I have my own gaming PC in my man-cave that I use, but I'd also like to be able to play games on this PC. So, I definitely need to get a video card for this thing, but I have three major issues to deal with:

Issue No.1 - Power Supply is likely very crappy. (box is still sealed cause it's an Xmas present, but I'll open it up and try to get the exact make and model of the power supply, but lets just assume it's a crappy 300 watt PSU. I need one of those cards that use very little power, so that I might be able to avoid a PSU upgrade.

Issue No.2 - The tower is a small tower. It's not a full sized tower. I'm not sure how much actual room is in there for adding a video card, but I'd imagine that I would need one of those cards that can fit into a small space

Issue No.3 - My budget for this card is about $120 out the door after all taxes, shipping and rebates, etc, etc. I'd really like it to be $99 out the door, but I know that it can be hard to squeeze the price in under that $100 cutoff.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 11:20:10 PM

I actually used a Lenovo like that in a build. It has a 250w PSU, you should just scrape by on a 7750 with it. The case is plenty big for a card that small, I had a 7850 in it with bags of room. If you choose to upgrade your GPU in the future you'll need to either get a new case... or saw the lower hard drive cage out :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:51:22 AM

As said above, You should get 7750.

It doesn't require any Outer PSU Connection.
It draws power from PCI slot.
m
l
a c 364 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 1:28:32 AM

cookybiscuit said:
I actually used a Lenovo like that in a build. It has a 250w PSU, you should just scrape by on a 7750 with it. The case is plenty big for a card that small, I had a 7850 in it with bags of room. If you choose to upgrade your GPU in the future you'll need to either get a new case... or saw the lower hard drive cage out :) 

I would be very wary about installing a Radeon HD 7750 in a PC with only a 250w PSU regardless of the manufacturer. Even Seasonic PSUs.

If in fact it is a 250w PSU, then the most powerful GPU I can comfortably recommend is the Radeon HD 6570.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 1:39:23 AM

i agree with jaguar, ur not gonna wanna risk that system stability with such a crappy hp powersupply, best bet get a powersupply thats stronger and thats compatible with slim line and get a slimline 7750 :) 

m
l
December 23, 2012 1:52:51 AM

Can I buy a decent power supply for like $35 ish ? All the high quality PSU's are usually about $60 or more.

For my last build, I bought a SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W for about $75 or so. It's a really good PSU, but I don't want to pay more than say 40 bucks for this PC.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 1:53:40 AM

er u said its non standard atx, what type of case is it?

u can prob get 45$ powersupply for it

m
l
December 23, 2012 2:13:17 AM

iceclock said:
er u said its non standard atx, what type of case is it?

u can prob get 45$ powersupply for it

it might be a standard ATX case, I'm not sure. I just know that it's not a full size gaming tower.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 2:15:16 AM

can u check pls, because ill give u a recommandation according to what format is ur case.

m
l
October 22, 2013 12:01:23 PM

i actually have this exact pc, a cosair cx500 will fit comftorably in it, as will something such a a radeon hd 7950, or gtx 760 or something similar, so id probably say the case is either micro-atx, or ATX
m
l
!