Sign in with
Your question
Solved

660ti vs. 7950 for the next 2 years

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2012 2:45:44 AM

I'm looking to upgrade my current rig, or seeing if it would be worth upgrading. I'm a heavy gamer, so my main concern is being able to run high if not max settings @60fps on games for another year or two. I recently got far cry 3 and was slightly disappointed with my system performance, running somewhere around medium settings and dropping down to under 30 fps at times.
My current set up is:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Gigabyte 880GM Mobo
2x 4gb RAM (not sure the brand)
Apevia 630W Power Supply
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1gb

I only plan on running at 1080p, but I am running dual monitors.

I don't plan on overclocking my graphics, aside from if I buy a factory overclocked model.

So I guess my main questions are:

Would a 660ti or 7950 would be sufficient for this, or should I spring for a 7970 or 670? Which of these

What amount of vram should I look at?

Will my processor need an upgrade as well?

My budget is around $400. I have no nvidia or amd preference, I've had both in the past and not had any major issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

More about : 660ti 7950 years

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:49:51 AM

The 7970 on max settings can pull pretty good frame rates, but it isn't 60fps. I think that the 7950 would be better. Even if they are almost the same right now. The 7950 has more ram and a higher bus, so that will help in the long run.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:54:56 AM

I would prefer getting a GTX 660 Ti over 7950.

If you have the Money then get GTX 670. Factory Overclocked preferred.
And Upgrade of your Processor to i5 3570k or 3470
Related resources

Best solution

December 23, 2012 4:01:23 AM

I would recommend my card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... i have had it about five or six months.Actually just like you i asked this question.I delete the thread because it was four page long and three of pages were just green bias and red bias battling it out.It was petty points why one is overall greater.Anyway, a few at that time seem very knowledge member Big Mack70, and bigcyco1 recommend this card bigcyco1 provide me with every detail about the card and answer all my questions with proof.I can run all current games i own on ultra BF3,Alan Wake,Civilization 5,The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim never dip lower then 45- 55 FPS.On Total War: Shogun 2,Batman: Arkham City,Crysis Warhead i just tweak settings a bit. If you want to enhance or override the in-game settings, then use the Nv Control Panel. There are also several settings in the Nv Control Panel that generally are rarely available in the in-game settings, i.e. Transparency Supersampling, Ambient Occlusion, Texture Filtering levels, Number of frames to render ahead, etc.I learn from trial and error as well as other members here.MSAA vs FXAA vs TXAA

MSAA is Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing, which means this method renders a scene at higher resolutions and then “shrinks” the scene to the desired resolution to reduce the appearance of aliasing (jaggies, pixellation). The GPU power required to render at higher resolutions is the downside of this method, and it can cause a hefty performance hit in games.

FXAA or Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing recognizes edges in-game by contrast comparison, and then “smooths” those surrounding pixels by forming a gradient between contrasting colors. FXAA does its thing quickly and without consuming many resources because it’s a post process pixel shader. Something that can be considered both a pro and con of FXAA is that it effects all pixels on the screen and smooths things are are not effected by MSAA; the con part being that it can effect small text on the screen causing it to be blurry.

Temporal Approximate Anti-Aliasing, or TXAA, is like a combination of lower MSAA and filters to give looks comparable to higher MSAA without as much of a performance hit. TXAA is meant to be integrated into the game engines, so there’s not an On/Off switch in the NVIDIA control panel like FXAA (yet). Since TXAA is so new and needs to be in the game engines, there isn’t a game that I have to show comparisons between MSAA, FXAA, and TXAA.It also has quite a few new features that really add to its value. It finally brings support for up to 4 monitors on a single card to the NVIDIA side in the form of a 3 monitor Surround setup plus a fourth auxiliary display for web, music, chat, etc. Adaptive Vertical Sync is a great way to help prevent both screen tearing and microstutter by allowing the GPU to dynamically enable and disable vertical sync. A couple new anti-aliasing techniques in FXAA and TXAA that smooth edges without a huge performance hit on FPS in games. Last, but not least, the GPU Boost feature that can increase performance is less GPU-intensive tasks by increasing the core clock frequencies as long as the card stays within its power target overall.

Overclocking the GTX 670 is different than what we’re used to with clocks and voltage being dynamic and having to make use of a Power Target and frequency offsets. However, with a little messing around with this new way of OCing, it becomes natural fairly quickly. The card doesn’t have voltage control, so we’re stuck with 1.175 V on the core and whatever vRAM voltage is set. That didn’t stop the card from being able to run at 1388MHz on the core while the memory petered out at 6524MHz. a great overclock considering no voltage increases.

Overall, I can’t think of a single negative about the GTX 670, really. It’s a physically small card with tons of features that packs a punch, performance-wise, while using less power and generating less heat than the competition.The voltage locking really pissed me off and i don't appreciate NV being such control freaks it's bad to treat customers who prefer to tweak voltages like that.It shows a lack of support or concern to hardcore overclockers.

I know the Geforce.com tweak guide for Skyrim shows how it's better to use the Nv Control Panel to force 16x Anisotropic Filtering, while putting the in-game settings to "Off".
http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/the-elder-scroll...

Triple buffering only works in OpenGL games and may introduce visual glitches and controller lag. I leave it set to 'off'.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

If you do decide to use VSync, then i would suggest Adaptive VSync. There is absolutely no reason at all to use regular VSync with an Nvidia card.
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_v... PhysX is a tricky one i like it and hate it. you have to make a choice
run without PhysX at 60FPS
run WITH PhysX at 60FPS but drop the game quality
run WITH PhysX and high quality but at a LOW FR
the MSI GeForce GTX 670 has everything we gamers love in a video card - a great price, blazing performance, and it runs cool and quiet. MSI even encourages further overclocking and overvolting with its included software. That is pretty much the definition of Kick Ass.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:04:03 AM

both are very good , the gtx 660ti or 7950, but between the 670 and 7970 id say go with the 670.

id go witht he 670 if u can afford it :) 

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:49:59 AM

lol both 660 ti and 7950 2gb will be more than sufficient for 1080p gaming for the next 2 years without any problem. personally id suggest a 7950
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:53:42 AM

not really certain games currently u cant max out with those 2 cards in 1080p.

u have to turn down some settings if u wanna do that.

also hes asking the best for his money, so gtx 670 is fastest in that regards.

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 5:20:20 AM

7970 and 7950 are both better for the money than 670. Unless there is one for less than $350 I would suggest it.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 5:22:35 AM

there both better price wise, except the 670 is faster, and when overclocked there no game at all here,

yes the 7970 is nice, but i put my fate more in nvidia these days tbh.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 5:28:05 AM

Wrong series, and the 7970 is comparable to a 680, with a 7950 just under a 670. Also, the 7000 series is known for be really good at overclocking.
December 23, 2012 9:04:06 AM

The best bang for buck high end video cards are indeed GTX 670 and 7950/7970 @ above interesting review.It's odd my brothers 7950 is OC'd still preforms roughly 10 to 15% worse in our tests huh maybe...He is not using the latest drivers or he got a bad card.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:14:58 PM

latest drivers and a bit of tweaking makes all the difference.

December 24, 2012 12:10:27 AM

Best answer selected by RbTheWhite.
!