How to link a dsl modem to a netgear router to a netgear WNR2000 acess point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 26, 2012 9:49:40 PM

The DSL MODEM is a Actiontec model.
The WAN side is on a dedicated public IP address the Lan side is using
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 DCP
H
Then attached to that is a NETGEAR FVL328
It is set to reach the DSL modem at Dynamic Get from ISP (actiontec)
It offers DHCP as 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50

Then the Wireless NETGEAR ACCESS Point connects with an ethernet
cord to the NETGEAR FVL328 plugged into the regural ethernet port of the
wired router to the Internet Port of the NETWORK WNR2000

When the wireless was set to reach 192.168.1.1 it said need to change to
10.0.0.01 then changed DHCP to 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254

Getting online now but tried it before and some laptops lose the connection and need to be reconnected time and time again.
What is the Best way to hook up the DSL Modem to one back to back or two routers at the same time if possible?

Should the NETGEARE AP be dumbed down and how to be an atennae for the NETGEARE FVL328?

Can the two router broadcast the ip numbers of the ACTIONTEC
with gaps for fixed ip numbers like this:
ACTIONTECT DHCP 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.44
then the NETGEAR FVL328 offer DHCP 192.168.1.46 to 192.168.1.100
and the NETGEAR WNR2000 offer DHCP of 192.168.1.105 to 192.168.1.245
ALSO: for the Wireless Access point one created the SSID which wireless logs into
what are the IP DHCP that is offers for is it for the four PORTS?
But when I connect Wirelessly it shows the IP4 numbers being used and it did not work using the NETGEAR offered IP numbers in the 10.0.0.1 plus range.

Also it worked the Wireless IP4 numbers for ex as 192.168.0.51
Thanks very much
Steven
January 26, 2012 11:56:49 PM

The easiest thing to do is to have all of your network unified (simple is much easier), so pick an internal address range and stick to ONE network, e.g., 192.168.0.1 for your gateway/DHCP server and let it assign a nice big range like 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.128. Disable all other DHCP servers down line and assign all access points a reserved IP address in the DHCP service on the router that will be in charge or alternately give them a network address outside the assignment range but still in the network, like 192.168.0.129 or higher in my example. Use the same SSID but different radio channels for all additional APs. Have all attached devices use the single gateway/DHCP for their address assignments, unless you need static addresses for printers, etc. and reserve those in the DHCP server.

If you really have a need for multiple internal networks, then you will have to bridge them to allow access between them.
m
l
January 27, 2012 5:16:54 AM

I also need to connect wirelessly to an HP Officejet Pro Printer. Which can use USB, Ethernet or Wireless. I prefer it be wireless. It asks to create IP address Subnet and Gateway IP Address.

how can all the wired type ports of each router be used for other connections that are not wireless? 3 or 4 on the Actiontec, 7 on the Wired Netgear and 3 - 4 on the Netgear Wireless AP?
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2012 5:21:14 AM

Also planning on using VPN tunnels as Ipsec and SSL VPN option to a workstation to
users web browser at times The Actiontec wan is a leased IP address I lease.
m
l
January 27, 2012 1:02:35 PM

scron said:
I also need to connect wirelessly to an HP Officejet Pro Printer. Which can use USB, Ethernet or Wireless. I prefer it be wireless. It asks to create IP address Subnet and Gateway IP Address.

how can all the wired type ports of each router be used for other connections that are not wireless? 3 or 4 on the Actiontec, 7 on the Wired Netgear and 3 - 4 on the Netgear Wireless AP?

For HP printers, I usually give them a static address (or reserved address in the dynamic range using the printer MAC address). You generally just need to enter the gateway and subnet and let the printer obtain the reserved address from the DHCP server -- it will always get the same address so you will have less issues with the machines that print to it. The subnet mask for your network will be 255.255.255.0 and won't change.

The LAN ports on the router/AP are just a simple switch that will also be assigned an IP address by the DHCP server, if you need more ports than that you can use an Ethernet cable from one of the ports to a port on a switch (if an 8 port switch you would have seven added ports since one connects to the router port). You just use regular CAT 5e patch cables like THESE.
m
l
!