Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 7770 GPU usage is low

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 23, 2012 6:03:46 AM

I recently bought a new Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz OC edition, but i'm having some trouble. I'm playing farcry 3 on a 1440x900 resolution and on low getting between 20-30 fps. I looked at MSI afterburner and it tells me that i'm only using between 40-50% GPU usage? How can i fix this? It's kinda dissapointing seeing as though i just bought this graphics card.
December 23, 2012 6:58:12 AM

What are the rest of your system specs?
December 23, 2012 7:00:43 AM

Intel pentium R dual core @ 3.2GHz
4gb ddr3 ram
Radeon hd 7770
Related resources
December 23, 2012 7:57:38 AM

use taskmanager to see the cpu usage
might be a bottleneck
December 23, 2012 2:59:28 PM

So during the middle of a game ctrl+alt+delete?
December 23, 2012 3:00:58 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
use taskmanager to see the cpu usage
might be a bottleneck

How will i be able to tell?
December 23, 2012 3:03:17 PM

Well If your CPU is maxed out but your GPU is only at 50%, Its a bottleneck.

Have Game Running, Open Task Manager and Post your CPU usage =D
December 23, 2012 3:18:24 PM

I would say open the task manager first since many games will idle(drop usage) when you alt tab. Sounds like a cpu bottleneck for sure.
December 23, 2012 4:07:21 PM

OMG :lol: 
1.open task manager
2.go under performance tab(now your cpu usage is being graphed)
3. open the game and play it where it lags
4. close the game or just alt+tab and see the graph, if it is very high, it is a bottleneck
tell us results
December 23, 2012 5:01:38 PM

I'll have to check later. Right now i'm away from the house on phone.
December 23, 2012 7:55:37 PM

I'm 90% sure that it's a bottleneck...
December 23, 2012 11:58:12 PM

Just played a game and the graph was pretty close to the top. When i'm alt+tabbed out its at 85%. Any suggestions on what to do?
December 24, 2012 12:04:33 AM

If you are hitting a cpu limit, overclocking or a faster cpu should help.
December 24, 2012 12:08:53 AM

Can i overclock my cpu? My PC is a lenovo k300. Someone told me that you can't because they lock the bios. Is this true? My processor is the pentium e5800
December 24, 2012 12:16:36 AM

I alt tabbed out as fast as i could and it looks like cpu usage stops at around 85-90%. What does this mean?
Actually, was able to play while looking at task manager, and while running around, drving and what not, cpu usage never really reached 90% highest i saw it get was 88. Is this a good sign?
December 24, 2012 12:22:12 AM

It means the cpu is working as hard as it can, so the video card is waiting on something to do.

Someone was right. Prebuilt systems almost always lack overclocking options.

Best bet now may be to turn down some in game settings(if they are not down already) to try to get more performance out of it.

Shadows
AA
ambient occlusion

those down may help overall performance, but I think the cpu will be a limit for some games, while some others may be able to max the gpu leaving the cpu as a bottleneck.

Gaming systems are all about balance. It is not always easy.

On the other end of things, you can turn UP settings to try to give the gpu some work to do, but it will NOT help performance at all.

I remember when the first farcray could run on a geforce 4mx and be playable with lowered settings. Damn them and the high requirements even for "low"
December 24, 2012 12:29:00 AM

Is there any possible way to overclock my cpu?
December 24, 2012 12:44:11 AM

No, they lock out all those options to prevent a user from damaging a system. Some systems sold as gaming systems have been known to have the options, but not that system.
December 24, 2012 12:48:59 AM

So what do you suggest? A new cpu? If so which one? I have a very very low budget.
December 24, 2012 12:58:41 AM

Would it be better to just save up and buy a new motherboard/cpu with a newer socket type?
December 24, 2012 1:02:32 AM

One of the problems with pre built systems is that you never quite know what cpu's you can add to it.

Hp lists cpu support for upgrades, but I do not see this info from Lenovo. Maybe they can let you know from tech support. The other issue is that ALL LGA 775(the cpu type you have) are discontinued now.

I am not 100% sure if that game would be better with a quad core or very fast dual core. To be honest, it seems to just chew into any system.

It seems more recent hardware(cpus) fair much better.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performan...
December 24, 2012 1:24:22 AM

The funny thing is, on BF3, i can play fairly smooth in ultra presets. But farcry just destroys it. And on WoW i get pretty bad frame rates, close to my old gt 430. Whats up with that??
December 24, 2012 1:32:10 AM

Some games use more of one thing or the other. many MMO games hit the cpu harder. This may explain WOW.

A part of this balance is that the cpu feeds the video card so if the cpu runs out of power(because it is working very hard) it can not feed the video card fast enough.

As I said above it works both ways.

You can have a FAST cpu sending work for the video card faster then it can get that work done.

Example would be placing a 4350 in my media center(Something I have done :) , If i do not want to game it works ok, but actually is SLOW on the media center interface). I did have that for the lower power/quiet, but it can not play any games with decent settings. The cpu can send as fast as it wants, but the video card holds it back. The same system ran a fair amount of games rather well with a 5770 in it.

With a GTX 650ti in that system, I can get both cpu and cpu to work fairly hard and it is more balanced(A bit more video would not hurt, but come on, its a small system and this card is quiet.).
December 24, 2012 1:34:24 AM

So, if you were in my position (with a low budget) what would you do?
Was looking at the i3-2100 as the best choice being that its only 120, but its only a dual core.
December 24, 2012 2:01:08 AM

While its only dual core it is not bad(it actually holds and beats many AMD quad core chips), but it NEEDS a new motherboard for sure. it is LGA 1155 your current board is LGA 775

Look in that link I posted :) 

December 24, 2012 2:03:55 AM

Im sure there are some good cheap lga 1155 mobis right? So would the i3-2100 be a good gaming processor worth buying? Would it bottleneck my 7770?
December 24, 2012 2:22:24 AM

It is not a bad gaming cpu.

The pain is you can always find something better.

Just for an example when Intel release the first i7's

I grabbed a i7 920. Sure it is very fast and all, but it is power hungry and for everything I do(at least games wise) an i5 750 works almost as well.

The kicker is the i5 750 takes MUCH less power and runs cooler.

You see how it performs in FC 3 in the image above. I do not think it will hold back the video card you have. The test Toms did was with a VERY powerful card(HD 7970).
December 24, 2012 2:59:58 AM

All mATX boards should be the same size with lined up screws.

You don't happen to have an image of the inside of your case do you? I also would not mind seeing the power supply label :) 

I do not want to put you off of the idea of computer upgrades, but you will almost certainly have to reinstall windows(mass hardware change). And OEM versions may require you to call MS and let them know that you HAD to chance the board(lets just say it failed). OEM copies of windows ARE locked to one board. see the little issue here(most times MS gives no issues, but for legal reasons they CAN refuse.).

Your COA key should be on the case AND you can get an ISO to make a copy(DVD or flash drive with the right tools) of windows here.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

I want you to know what to expect.
December 24, 2012 3:03:04 AM

Let me take a picture
December 24, 2012 3:08:46 AM

How do i post a pic? >.>
December 24, 2012 3:15:40 AM

nukemaster said:
All mATX boards should be the same size with lined up screws.

You don't happen to have an image of the inside of your case do you? I also would not mind seeing the power supply label :) 

I do not want to put you off of the idea of computer upgrades, but you will almost certainly have to reinstall windows(mass hardware change). And OEM versions may require you to call MS and let them know that you HAD to chance the board(lets just say it failed). OEM copies of windows ARE locked to one board. see the little issue here(most times MS gives no issues, but for legal reasons they CAN refuse.).

Your COA key should be on the case AND you can get an ISO to make a copy(DVD or flash drive with the right tools) of windows here.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

I want you to know what to expect.

Where is the COA key? On the side of my case i see something that says Windows 7 Home Premium OA, and then there's a product key under it. Is that the COA key?
December 24, 2012 3:32:03 AM

i say going for a 2 year old i3 is not the best idea.
i say wait for another 6 months and intel will release haswell,
which is supposed to be a good enough improvement over 2nd and 3rd gen i series.
and also, intel is planning to change the socket again!
so your lga 1155 will no longer be produced within 6 months of your buying!
and until then u can atleast save up to a midrange cpu, like an i5, and a cheap mobo
that would be the best option, if u can wait, i say go with this option.
and if farcry is the only game u r having problems in, i dont see a huge harm, to wait
that is what i would do, because if u buy a cpu of the next gen, it would last 1 or 2 years more than your i3-2120 will!!
December 24, 2012 3:40:46 AM

Its just my gpu is being bottlenecked on all of my games. Even WoW. I'm getting about the same FPS as on my other card. A GT 430. Its just kinda dissapointing seeing as i just purchased this GPU and its not doing what it should be. Would getting another 4 gigs of ram help at all?
December 24, 2012 3:48:46 AM

yeah it is sad.
if u want to see immediate result without changing your mobo, and also a cheap option, that would easily last until next gen cpu's u can just get a quad core for lga 775, maybe even a used one!
it will eliminate your lag and atleast give u playable performance, and will be cheaper than the i3 option.
but if u plan to keep it for long then it is not the way to go
what do u think of this option? it is cheap, and if u r planning to upgrade next year, it is a really good option, if u can find a good deal.
December 24, 2012 4:23:53 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
yeah it is sad.
if u want to see immediate result without changing your mobo, and also a cheap option, that would easily last until next gen cpu's u can just get a quad core for lga 775, maybe even a used one!
it will eliminate your lag and atleast give u playable performance, and will be cheaper than the i3 option.
but if u plan to keep it for long then it is not the way to go
what do u think of this option? it is cheap, and if u r planning to upgrade next year, it is a really good option, if u can find a good deal.

That would be great! But when i look around at like Core 2 quads, they're so expensive, even used ones. Do you know a good quad core lga 775 that's not so expensive?
December 24, 2012 4:47:40 AM

i recommend using this chart to find out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
a used one in working condition would definately be a better option.
a lot of it depends on what is the price of the one at which u r looking at.
keep looking for deals, if i find one at ebay i will let u know
December 24, 2012 5:08:53 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
i recommend using this chart to find out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
a used one in working condition would definately be a better option.
a lot of it depends on what is the price of the one at which u r looking at.
keep looking for deals, if i find one at ebay i will let u know

Found a core 2 quad q8200 for $75. Is this an upgrade from my pentium e5800? Will it bottleneck my 7770?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001DCLRYM/ref=d...
December 24, 2012 5:19:54 AM

as u can see in the cpu hierarchy chart,
it is just one row above your current cpu.
and it is for 75$ the link i gave u was a lot cheaper and a lot better.
do u not like ebay?
December 24, 2012 5:20:42 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
as u can see in the cpu hierarchy chart,
it is just one row above your current cpu.
and it is for 75$ the link i gave u was a lot cheaper and a lot better.
do u not like ebay?

I only saw a link for the chart. =(
December 24, 2012 5:21:20 AM

Oh i see it. Didnt see that earlier.
December 24, 2012 5:24:51 AM

:lol: 
do u think u can get that one?
for just 15$ that performance is unbeatable
December 24, 2012 5:31:27 AM

The thing is, with my current mobo, i'm not able to OC because they lock the BIOS don't they? Would that CPU still be better than my current one?
December 24, 2012 5:32:38 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
:lol: 
do u think u can get that one?
for just 15$ that performance is unbeatable

By the end of the 6 days, the price will probably go up, right?
December 24, 2012 5:38:52 AM

yeah it will, but it wont get close to your 75$ pick from amazon.
and i say dont bid on it right now, the more u bid, the more other's bid,
there is also the mental thing like:
(why is he bidding so high? this must be a good item! i have to buy it!!)
that will just make the price go high.
wait until the last day to make a high bid
December 24, 2012 5:40:16 AM

Evan10800 said:
The thing is, with my current mobo, i'm not able to OC because they lock the BIOS don't they? Would that CPU still be better than my current one?

yes it will definately be better.
December 24, 2012 5:41:41 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
yes it will definately be better.

Do you think it will bottleneck my 7770?
December 24, 2012 5:43:32 AM

not as much as your current cpu.
and dont worry, it will solve your current problems related to gaming for sure.
!