Closed Solved

Radeon HD 7770 GPU usage is low - page 2

99 answers Last reply Best Answer
  1. Thanks for the help =). If you had to guess, how much do you think that CPU will get up to in price?
  2. that is totally unpredictable, it depends on how many more people will find it and how much they want it.
    it is 15 now, so atleast be prepared for ~30$ might be more or less depending on your luck.
  3. dheeraj9933 said:
    that is totally unpredictable, it depends on how many more people will find it and how much they want it.
    it is 15 now, so atleast be prepared for ~30$ might be more or less depending on your luck.

    Ill see if i can get a few extra bucks together. Don't have much after buying my 7770 and a PSU =P
  4. u can always keep looking for new deals on ebay and other sites.
    dont let your hope be brought down so easily
  5. dheeraj9933 said:
    u can always keep looking for new deals on ebay and other sites.
    dont let your hope be brought down so easily

    The CPU went up to $91 in a matter of like 12 hours!!
  6. dheeraj9933 said:
    u can always keep looking for new deals on ebay and other sites.
    dont let your hope be brought down so easily

    I just ran Furmark, and for some reason my GPU usage reaches 99%. How come its not bottlenecking on that and it does on my games?
  7. Furmarks does not require the kind of cpu work a game does. It is all about pushing the video card.

    For the same reason why you will still find some games that may get your video use much closer to full.

    Again, Both parts have to work with each other.

    If the game want the cpu to do lots of work that it can not keep up with, it has trouble sending work to the video card(CPU bottleneck) to keep it busy.

    If the cpu has no problem sending work to the video card, but it(the card) is taking long to do the work, the cpu just sits waiting(GPU bottleneck).
  8. nukemaster said:
    Furmarks does not require the kind of cpu work a game does. It is all about pushing the video card.

    For the same reason why you will still find some games that may get your video use much closer to full.

    Again, Both parts have to work with each other.

    If the game want the cpu to do lots of work that it can not keep up with, it has trouble sending work to the video card(CPU bottleneck) to keep it busy.

    If the cpu has no problem sending work to the video card, but it(the card) is taking long to do the work, the cpu just sits waiting(GPU bottleneck).

    I see. And thats probably why i see a great improvement on BF3 from my old video card, but on WoW not so much, right?
  9. yes.

    Boxing day sales are on!!!! Check out all the online stores you like. Never know what you may find.
  10. exactly,
    furmark is just a big circle floating in air :lol:
    it dont hink ir requires a lot of cpu power!
    but games are different, like BF3 multiplayer, skyrim, arma 2 they require cpu power too.
    look there is nothing wrong with your cards it is decent enough for gaming,
    its just being bottlenecked by cpu.
    but the thing about cpu going to 90$ is shocking!!
    it actually is worth it! wihch is why it was a great deal for 15$ !
    but i dont think it is the best for u now :(
    just keep looking for deals, if I see something i'll tell u
    and boxing day sales are good too
  11. What is boxing day?
    BTW i've been doing some research and i picked out some parts if i were to save up enough to get a new CPU and mobo.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5692033&sku=A79-1965
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5633667&sku=M452-6080
    Give me some feedback!!
  12. well,
    if gaming is your priority,
    a phenom is not your best buy. it is old, it runs hot, it requires a lot of power, and u hav to overclock it to give i3 a competition !!
    and it costs 170$
    if u wanna spend 170$ spend on this...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775 130$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157335 55$
  13. So it will still be good even if its dual-core? How come some dual-cores beat quad-cores?
    I was under the impression that i3's weren't good for gaming.
  14. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/26/intel-core-i3-3220-review/6
    actually most games today, dont utilize the true power of a quad core.
    which is why an i3 is very close to and i5 is performance, and definately beats the phenoms and the fx series.
    games require high per core performance, which the i3 HAS.
    and there might be some time in the future, when dual core might not be good for gaming, but it's not going to come too soon :)
  15. Well hopefully i can save up some money! If you see anything on eBay, keep me posted ;)
  16. Another reason is the Intel cpus currently have an advantage because of the architecture. They are simply built to do more work per MHz(under most workloads). When AMD first released the A64 cpu's they laid the beat down on Intel for quite a while. Then the sleeping giant woke up.

    I built a 955BE system a while back, it was not a bad system(and it's power consumption was not that bad. Idled lower then all but one of my current systems. I almost built an AMD media center, but could not find a good ITX board), but it was more competition for Intels older offerings(Core2 Quad).
  17. dheeraj9933 said:
    well,
    if gaming is your priority,
    a phenom is not your best buy. it is old, it runs hot, it requires a lot of power, and u hav to overclock it to give i3 a competition !!
    and it costs 170$
    if u wanna spend 170$ spend on this...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775 130$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157335 55$

    Will that motherboard fit into my K300 chasis?
  18. It is mATX(4 slots) so it looks like you should be good(the image you posted sure looked to me mATX to me). Just check out the screw pattern compared to yours.
  19. nukemaster said:
    It is mATX(4 slots) so it looks like you should be good(the image you posted sure looked to me mATX to me). Just check out the screw pattern compared to yours.

    Yeah, i'm looking at it and the screws just don't look like they will line up. Plus my board looks more square, while the other one is more rectangular.
    .
  20. Maybe mine just has a little more width (From rear IO to other side of RAM slots) than the ASRock one.
  21. Hmmmm good point, Normal cases have some different places to place stand offs for boards. And you ARE right the holes do NOT line up quite right.

    If it was a normal case, that would not even be an issue, but now I have to almost wonder if yours does or does not have movable standoffs.

    The fact that the board is not as deep would not be a problem for most cases. The screw pattern is not a match in this case.
  22. nukemaster said:
    Hmmmm good point, Normal cases have some different places to place stand offs for boards. And you ARE right the holes do NOT line up quite right.

    If it was a normal case, that would not even be an issue, but now I have to almost wonder if yours does or does not have movable standoffs.

    The fact that the board is not as deep would not be a problem for most cases. The screw pattern is not a match in this case.

    I looked at them side-by-side, and it seems like the holes actually do match up, the ASRock is just quite a bit shorter in width than my current, hence it looking more rectangular. I'm not completely sure though. Look at them side by side and tell me if the holes line up.
  23. The ASRock mobo would end (width wise) right before the RAM slots on my current mobo. I think they do actually match up.
  24. It almost looks like they have a 3 slot board based on screw locations. Either way. here is the one screw that looks out of place(red square. The other board lacks that and has one at the end of its bottom red line). Orange line is about the depth difference from board to board.

    Click for bigger.
  25. So, would this board be able to go into my case?
    Look at this. I used the yellow line. Wouldn't those holes match up?
  26. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135306
    This board looks like it fits perfectly, just a little more expensive....
  27. All the boards seem just that little bit different. It is a pain, but maybe removing your current board to see what you have under it. If you can move the stand offs either board will do just fine.

    Here are some images to try to compare the old and Asrock board.

    This is by no way perfect scaling, but should give you an idea.

    See the screw hold on the new board seems to lineup with the chipset on the old board. If you have a place for a standoff in that location, you should be able to use it still.
  28. What about this ASRock board? It's a little more expensive, but the screwholes seem to line up almost perfectly with my current one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157326
  29. While that board is not as long as your current board, it looks to have lined up screws.

    The front side of the board will have no screws so you will want to be careful when connecting plugs in that section.

    I know it is a pain, but if you did remove your current board you could see if that 1 offending standoff could be moved or not if you have movable standoffs, you can put almost any mATX board in.

    I mean this is an EXACT match but WAY WAY WAY over budget. That is what I am using, but my case would take any of the other boards.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806
  30. nukemaster said:
    While that board is not as long as your current board, it looks to have lined up screws.

    The front side of the board will have no screws so you will want to be careful when connecting plugs in that section.

    I know it is a pain, but if you did remove your current board you could see if that 1 offending standoff could be moved or not if you have movable standoffs, you can put almost any mATX board in.

    I mean this is an EXACT match but WAY WAY WAY over budget. That is what I am using, but my case would take any of the other boards.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

    What do you mean the front side of it will have no screws?
  31. This is the mobo from my old computer, and it looks like its identical to my current one.

    And this is the case from it. So if these mobos are the exact same size, this is probably what my case would look like i think.
  32. Well those are built in standoffs and you have no locations to add new ones.

    Back in the day, they made plastic inserts for boards that would be flat on the bottom so you could place it in the old that has no standoff and at least somewhat support the board.

    You would want to place something to hold the board in the location with no screw hold(little rubber bumpers from the hardware store may work.).

    The old plastic standoff/insert


    The part about NO screws at the end is because the board is not long enough to reach the far standoffs on the right side

    If you look here you will see how some cases have holes for extra standoffs and so you can move them to fit different boards. This has some built in in places that almost all boards use and holes to add the ones needed to make sure it works with more boards.
    http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/Documents/How%20to%20-%20Assemble%20a%20Desktop%20PC%20from%20Components.htm
  33. Oh ok, i see what you mean by it not being able to reach the far right standoff. Other than that, would this ASRock board be able to fit into my case then?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157326
    All i would have to do is find some kind of rubber thing that i could stick under it to give it some support in the areas that it doesn't reach?
  34. It will be like this. Not able to reach to the far right standoffs (outlined with red).

    Again my old mobo. Just put it back in its case. I pushed on the "free floating" side, and it actually doesn't bend much. It feels like it has support from all the other screws.
  35. Best answer
    that us exactly what it should be like.

    The new egg image looks like one screw hold is not on the board you link, but other sites show it to be a hole for the screw.

    Other then that strangeness on the Newegg image. It looks to be a perfect fit.
  36. nukemaster said:
    that us exactly what it should be like.

    The new egg image looks like one screw hold is not on the board you link, but other sites show it to be a hole for the screw.

    Other then that strangeness on the Newegg image. It looks to be a perfect fit.

    So in other words, i'm good to go right? =D
  37. It looks to fit as far as I can see.
  38. nukemaster said:
    It looks to fit as far as I can see.

    One more question. I think my RAM is 1066. Will this be ok with the mobo and i3-3220?
  39. I have not used that chip, Intel specs for 1333/1600, but most boards I have used let you go lower.

    The board it self lists 1066. Just ensure the memory does not have a voltage too high(1.6 is the most that many users will use on these chips).
  40. nukemaster said:
    I have not used that chip, Intel specs for 1333/1600, but most boards I have used let you go lower.

    The board it self lists 1066. Just ensure the memory does not have a voltage too high(1.6 is the most that many users will use on these chips).

    So will i be good with my RAM then? How can i check what the voltage is?
  41. The sticker on the memory should tell you, also cpu-z's memory tab may also list it. At the least it will list the model number that can me used to find out.

  42. I see the voltage is 1.5 if i'm correct. But where does it tell me if its 1066?
  43. If I was you, I would go with this:

    i-3 3220 for $120 - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=i3+3220&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ai3+3220

    Then get this Mobo for $75 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7JRJI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

    The Mobo maxes out at 32gb of ram, Can hold upto the newest i7, You can't Crossfire with that mobo, But it is a great option if you don't have alot to spend, and its a smaller board so it will have better chance of fitting into your case.

    Also the mobo is an Intel Mobo, Which I prefer, I run with the Corsair Vengeance Ram as well, which is designed to run with the i3 - i5 - i7


    The Asrock Mobo maxes out at 16gb of ram btw, So you would end up having to upgrade that before you would need to upgrade the Intel Mobo, Buy the best future proof items you can, with the best potential for upgrades.
  44. its 1333(technically 1370) rated :)

    Memory shows half speed like that.
  45. nukemaster said:
    its 1333(technically 1370) rated :)

    Memory shows half speed like that.

    Oh, it's 1333? Well thats a pleasant surprise! How did you find it out??
  46. Your screen shows the SPD is programmed for 685(DDR so 685 X 2 = 1370). 1600 stuff shows 800.

    A quick lookup of the model number also shows it to be good for 1333.
  47. nukemaster said:
    Your screen shows the SPD is programmed for 685(DDR so 685 X 2 = 1370). 1600 stuff shows 800.

    A quick lookup of the model number also shows it to be good for 1333.

    Sweet. So i should be good. Just ordered the mobo. Now i need to save up for the CPU. Thanks for all the help. =)
  48. any time :)
  49. Best answer selected by evan10800.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon HD Graphics Product