Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 7770 GPU usage is low - Page 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2012 5:51:22 AM

Thanks for the help =). If you had to guess, how much do you think that CPU will get up to in price?
Score
December 24, 2012 5:54:23 AM

that is totally unpredictable, it depends on how many more people will find it and how much they want it.
it is 15 now, so atleast be prepared for ~30$ might be more or less depending on your luck.
Score
December 24, 2012 6:00:51 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
that is totally unpredictable, it depends on how many more people will find it and how much they want it.
it is 15 now, so atleast be prepared for ~30$ might be more or less depending on your luck.

Ill see if i can get a few extra bucks together. Don't have much after buying my 7770 and a PSU =P
Score
Related resources
December 24, 2012 6:06:58 AM

u can always keep looking for new deals on ebay and other sites.
dont let your hope be brought down so easily
Score
December 24, 2012 10:07:03 PM

dheeraj9933 said:

The CPU went up to $91 in a matter of like 12 hours!!
Score
December 25, 2012 2:58:56 AM

dheeraj9933 said:

I just ran Furmark, and for some reason my GPU usage reaches 99%. How come its not bottlenecking on that and it does on my games?
Score
December 25, 2012 3:38:16 AM

Furmarks does not require the kind of cpu work a game does. It is all about pushing the video card.

For the same reason why you will still find some games that may get your video use much closer to full.

Again, Both parts have to work with each other.

If the game want the cpu to do lots of work that it can not keep up with, it has trouble sending work to the video card(CPU bottleneck) to keep it busy.

If the cpu has no problem sending work to the video card, but it(the card) is taking long to do the work, the cpu just sits waiting(GPU bottleneck).
Score
December 25, 2012 3:41:56 AM

nukemaster said:
Furmarks does not require the kind of cpu work a game does. It is all about pushing the video card.

For the same reason why you will still find some games that may get your video use much closer to full.

Again, Both parts have to work with each other.

If the game want the cpu to do lots of work that it can not keep up with, it has trouble sending work to the video card(CPU bottleneck) to keep it busy.

If the cpu has no problem sending work to the video card, but it(the card) is taking long to do the work, the cpu just sits waiting(GPU bottleneck).

I see. And thats probably why i see a great improvement on BF3 from my old video card, but on WoW not so much, right?
Score
December 25, 2012 3:48:16 AM

yes.

Boxing day sales are on!!!! Check out all the online stores you like. Never know what you may find.
Score
December 25, 2012 3:50:48 AM

exactly,
furmark is just a big circle floating in air :lol: 
it dont hink ir requires a lot of cpu power!
but games are different, like BF3 multiplayer, skyrim, arma 2 they require cpu power too.
look there is nothing wrong with your cards it is decent enough for gaming,
its just being bottlenecked by cpu.
but the thing about cpu going to 90$ is shocking!!
it actually is worth it! wihch is why it was a great deal for 15$ !
but i dont think it is the best for u now :( 
just keep looking for deals, if I see something i'll tell u
and boxing day sales are good too
Score
December 25, 2012 4:18:34 AM

So it will still be good even if its dual-core? How come some dual-cores beat quad-cores?
I was under the impression that i3's weren't good for gaming.
Score
December 25, 2012 4:36:01 AM

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/26/intel-core-...
actually most games today, dont utilize the true power of a quad core.
which is why an i3 is very close to and i5 is performance, and definately beats the phenoms and the fx series.
games require high per core performance, which the i3 HAS.
and there might be some time in the future, when dual core might not be good for gaming, but it's not going to come too soon :) 
Score
December 25, 2012 4:40:35 AM

Well hopefully i can save up some money! If you see anything on eBay, keep me posted ;) 
Score
December 25, 2012 2:01:39 PM

Another reason is the Intel cpus currently have an advantage because of the architecture. They are simply built to do more work per MHz(under most workloads). When AMD first released the A64 cpu's they laid the beat down on Intel for quite a while. Then the sleeping giant woke up.

I built a 955BE system a while back, it was not a bad system(and it's power consumption was not that bad. Idled lower then all but one of my current systems. I almost built an AMD media center, but could not find a good ITX board), but it was more competition for Intels older offerings(Core2 Quad).
Score
December 26, 2012 2:33:10 AM

It is mATX(4 slots) so it looks like you should be good(the image you posted sure looked to me mATX to me). Just check out the screw pattern compared to yours.
Score
December 26, 2012 3:10:19 AM

nukemaster said:
It is mATX(4 slots) so it looks like you should be good(the image you posted sure looked to me mATX to me). Just check out the screw pattern compared to yours.

Yeah, i'm looking at it and the screws just don't look like they will line up. Plus my board looks more square, while the other one is more rectangular.
Score
December 26, 2012 3:20:54 AM

Maybe mine just has a little more width (From rear IO to other side of RAM slots) than the ASRock one.
Score
December 26, 2012 3:45:14 AM

Hmmmm good point, Normal cases have some different places to place stand offs for boards. And you ARE right the holes do NOT line up quite right.

If it was a normal case, that would not even be an issue, but now I have to almost wonder if yours does or does not have movable standoffs.

The fact that the board is not as deep would not be a problem for most cases. The screw pattern is not a match in this case.
Score
December 26, 2012 4:14:25 AM

nukemaster said:
Hmmmm good point, Normal cases have some different places to place stand offs for boards. And you ARE right the holes do NOT line up quite right.

If it was a normal case, that would not even be an issue, but now I have to almost wonder if yours does or does not have movable standoffs.

The fact that the board is not as deep would not be a problem for most cases. The screw pattern is not a match in this case.

I looked at them side-by-side, and it seems like the holes actually do match up, the ASRock is just quite a bit shorter in width than my current, hence it looking more rectangular. I'm not completely sure though. Look at them side by side and tell me if the holes line up.
Score
December 26, 2012 4:18:28 AM

The ASRock mobo would end (width wise) right before the RAM slots on my current mobo. I think they do actually match up.
Score
December 26, 2012 4:30:51 AM

It almost looks like they have a 3 slot board based on screw locations. Either way. here is the one screw that looks out of place(red square. The other board lacks that and has one at the end of its bottom red line). Orange line is about the depth difference from board to board.

Click for bigger.
Score
December 26, 2012 4:40:10 AM

So, would this board be able to go into my case?
Look at this. I used the yellow line. Wouldn't those holes match up?
Score
December 27, 2012 12:08:23 AM

All the boards seem just that little bit different. It is a pain, but maybe removing your current board to see what you have under it. If you can move the stand offs either board will do just fine.

Here are some images to try to compare the old and Asrock board.

This is by no way perfect scaling, but should give you an idea.

See the screw hold on the new board seems to lineup with the chipset on the old board. If you have a place for a standoff in that location, you should be able to use it still.
Score
December 27, 2012 11:34:32 AM

While that board is not as long as your current board, it looks to have lined up screws.

The front side of the board will have no screws so you will want to be careful when connecting plugs in that section.

I know it is a pain, but if you did remove your current board you could see if that 1 offending standoff could be moved or not if you have movable standoffs, you can put almost any mATX board in.

I mean this is an EXACT match but WAY WAY WAY over budget. That is what I am using, but my case would take any of the other boards.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Score
December 27, 2012 10:00:19 PM

nukemaster said:
While that board is not as long as your current board, it looks to have lined up screws.

The front side of the board will have no screws so you will want to be careful when connecting plugs in that section.

I know it is a pain, but if you did remove your current board you could see if that 1 offending standoff could be moved or not if you have movable standoffs, you can put almost any mATX board in.

I mean this is an EXACT match but WAY WAY WAY over budget. That is what I am using, but my case would take any of the other boards.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

What do you mean the front side of it will have no screws?
Score
December 27, 2012 10:51:35 PM

This is the mobo from my old computer, and it looks like its identical to my current one.

And this is the case from it. So if these mobos are the exact same size, this is probably what my case would look like i think.
Score
December 28, 2012 1:22:13 AM

Well those are built in standoffs and you have no locations to add new ones.

Back in the day, they made plastic inserts for boards that would be flat on the bottom so you could place it in the old that has no standoff and at least somewhat support the board.

You would want to place something to hold the board in the location with no screw hold(little rubber bumpers from the hardware store may work.).

The old plastic standoff/insert

The part about NO screws at the end is because the board is not long enough to reach the far standoffs on the right side

If you look here you will see how some cases have holes for extra standoffs and so you can move them to fit different boards. This has some built in in places that almost all boards use and holes to add the ones needed to make sure it works with more boards.
http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/Documents/How%20to%2...

Score
December 28, 2012 1:39:16 AM

Oh ok, i see what you mean by it not being able to reach the far right standoff. Other than that, would this ASRock board be able to fit into my case then?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
All i would have to do is find some kind of rubber thing that i could stick under it to give it some support in the areas that it doesn't reach?
Score
December 28, 2012 1:54:11 AM

It will be like this. Not able to reach to the far right standoffs (outlined with red).

Again my old mobo. Just put it back in its case. I pushed on the "free floating" side, and it actually doesn't bend much. It feels like it has support from all the other screws.
Score

Best solution

December 28, 2012 2:45:55 AM

that us exactly what it should be like.

The new egg image looks like one screw hold is not on the board you link, but other sites show it to be a hole for the screw.

Other then that strangeness on the Newegg image. It looks to be a perfect fit.
December 28, 2012 3:10:39 AM

nukemaster said:
that us exactly what it should be like.

The new egg image looks like one screw hold is not on the board you link, but other sites show it to be a hole for the screw.

Other then that strangeness on the Newegg image. It looks to be a perfect fit.

So in other words, i'm good to go right? =D
Score
December 28, 2012 3:37:48 AM

It looks to fit as far as I can see.
Score
December 29, 2012 10:39:49 PM

nukemaster said:
It looks to fit as far as I can see.

One more question. I think my RAM is 1066. Will this be ok with the mobo and i3-3220?
Score
December 30, 2012 4:10:11 AM

I have not used that chip, Intel specs for 1333/1600, but most boards I have used let you go lower.

The board it self lists 1066. Just ensure the memory does not have a voltage too high(1.6 is the most that many users will use on these chips).
Score
December 30, 2012 5:44:55 AM

nukemaster said:
I have not used that chip, Intel specs for 1333/1600, but most boards I have used let you go lower.

The board it self lists 1066. Just ensure the memory does not have a voltage too high(1.6 is the most that many users will use on these chips).

So will i be good with my RAM then? How can i check what the voltage is?
Score
December 30, 2012 12:37:39 PM

The sticker on the memory should tell you, also cpu-z's memory tab may also list it. At the least it will list the model number that can me used to find out.
Score
December 30, 2012 7:32:44 PM

I see the voltage is 1.5 if i'm correct. But where does it tell me if its 1066?
Score
December 30, 2012 8:00:18 PM

If I was you, I would go with this:

i-3 3220 for $120 - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-ali...

Then get this Mobo for $75 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7JRJI/ref=oh_deta...

The Mobo maxes out at 32gb of ram, Can hold upto the newest i7, You can't Crossfire with that mobo, But it is a great option if you don't have alot to spend, and its a smaller board so it will have better chance of fitting into your case.

Also the mobo is an Intel Mobo, Which I prefer, I run with the Corsair Vengeance Ram as well, which is designed to run with the i3 - i5 - i7

The Asrock Mobo maxes out at 16gb of ram btw, So you would end up having to upgrade that before you would need to upgrade the Intel Mobo, Buy the best future proof items you can, with the best potential for upgrades.
Score
December 30, 2012 8:02:29 PM

its 1333(technically 1370) rated :) 

Memory shows half speed like that.

Score
December 30, 2012 11:54:09 PM

nukemaster said:
its 1333(technically 1370) rated :) 

Memory shows half speed like that.

Oh, it's 1333? Well thats a pleasant surprise! How did you find it out??
Score
December 31, 2012 3:02:04 AM

Your screen shows the SPD is programmed for 685(DDR so 685 X 2 = 1370). 1600 stuff shows 800.

A quick lookup of the model number also shows it to be good for 1333.
Score
December 31, 2012 6:14:59 AM

nukemaster said:
Your screen shows the SPD is programmed for 685(DDR so 685 X 2 = 1370). 1600 stuff shows 800.

A quick lookup of the model number also shows it to be good for 1333.

Sweet. So i should be good. Just ordered the mobo. Now i need to save up for the CPU. Thanks for all the help. =)
Score
December 31, 2012 2:12:17 PM

any time :) 
Score
December 31, 2012 6:25:44 PM

Best answer selected by evan10800.
Score
      • 2 / 2
!