Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

7870 or 660Ti for 1920x1024

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 23, 2012 7:03:18 AM

I know it's been asked a lot of times but I have a slight different query, I m in India where the available options are
1. SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB GDDR5: US$ 327
2. MSI NVIDIA N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 : US$ 390

I am looking for a upgrade for my PC and would prefer to enjoy gaming at 1920 res atleast for a couple of yrs. I have gone thru hundreds of posts which suggest either of cards. Then lots more talk of 660Ti being equivalent to 7950..
I had almost zeroed in onto the 7870 but then a couple of friends using 660Ti are suggesting i leap onto the 660, one's offering a 4 month old 660Ti for US$355 as he's shifting to a 680.

I'll be using single monitor setup for gaming and existing rig is as under:
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 BE
Mem: Corsair XMS 8GB
Mobo: Gigabyte 880GM-USB3
HDD: OZSAgility 3 : 128GB + WD 2x2TB
PSU: Corsair VX550W
Current GPU: XFX 8800GT 512MB


I couple have waited for a couple of months for next gen GPUs but then Indian distributors too take their sweet time getting new hardware in country and delay more

Oh, and btw, 7950 is US$420 here.

More about : 7870 660ti 1920x1024

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 8:43:52 AM

From India? Me too.
Flipkart provides the new Cards within 2 weeks or so.

In India you'll find 7870 costly 19,000 INR
But GTX 660 Ti costs 21,000 INR
7950 costs 23,000 INR

Thus, GTX 660 Ti is the Best in its Price : http://www.flipkart.com/msi-nvidia-n660ti-pe-2gd5-oc-2-...
Its out of Stock right now, But will Restock soon.

*EDIT*
OC your CPU to 4Ghz and it will perform good for your GPU.
But Highly recommend to get a i5 for gaming. You'll see a huge boost.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 8:53:54 AM

If you think that GTX 660 Ti is costly then get the Gigabyte one.
I saw a MSI PE Edition at 20,000 INR in Ebay, It was a used one. Waste of Money.

Gigabyte one is also good but when you get Twin Frozr IV technology and a Awesome GPU just at a little price more, then it is worth it.

Worth getting a GTX 660 Ti over a 7870. Totally ;) 
You'll be Tension free from stuttering and any other Lag.
Score
0
Related resources
December 23, 2012 10:36:07 AM

Flipkart.com prices are higher, Mumbai market rate is currently about Rs 1000(US$20) lower than Flipkart.

I did see a lot of reviews recommending 660Ti but then they also mention that the 192bit mem bus will create a bottleneck in future & 7870 overclocks better, there lies my troubles.



Sumukh_Bhagat said:
If you think that GTX 660 Ti is costly then get the Gigabyte one.
I saw a MSI PE Edition at 20,000 INR in Ebay, It was a used one. Waste of Money.

Gigabyte one is also good but when you get Twin Frozr IV technology and a Awesome GPU just at a little price more, then it is worth it.

Worth getting a GTX 660 Ti over a 7870. Totally ;) 
You'll be Tension free from stuttering and any other Lag.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Z/B/364151/original/High-1920.png


this makes me think of avoiding the MSI 660Ti
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...
Score
0
December 23, 2012 10:42:12 AM

You should worry more about your cpu bottlenecking your card.If BF3 MP is what you aim at playing then i can tell you will be severely cpu limited and your card won't be used.You should upgrade to an intel system otherwise you will really get half of the card performance.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 11:04:05 AM

Don't worry about the voltage thing - it was blown way out of proportion. The forums are now 50% people posting that story and 50% constantly explaining how it's not a big deal :-) As for bus width, it's pretty much a myth based on lack of understanding of how the technology works. I've explained it here in the 2nd post:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/378279-15-gtx660-78...

EDIT: tl;dr? The 7800s have only ~5% lead in bandwidth, giving them no significant advantage at all.
Score
0
December 23, 2012 11:32:33 AM

cooldudesubho said:
You should worry more about your cpu bottlenecking your card.If BF3 MP is what you aim at playing then i can tell you will be severely cpu limited and your card won't be used.You should upgrade to an intel system otherwise you will really get half of the card performance.


That entrails a lot of additional funds for board and CPU which I am not planning to invest rt now. Most places I check, the current CPU is supposed to be able to handle games with both these cards. Have a V8 cooler and planning to overclock when the giong gets tough for the poor ol soul of 955

sam_p_lay said:
Don't worry about the voltage thing - it was blown way out of proportion. The forums are now 50% people posting that story and 50% constantly explaining how it's not a big deal :-) As for bus width, it's pretty much a myth based on lack of understanding of how the technology works. I've explained it here in the 2nd post:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/378279-15-gtx660-78...

EDIT: tl;dr? The 7800s have only ~5% lead in bandwidth, giving them no significant advantage at all.


Read your review, there you mentioning not to pick the 660Ti due to higher price, How does it apply in may case, local price: 7870 US$330, 660Ti US$ 390
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:11:43 PM

I'd take your friend's one for $355! Even at $390 though, I'd still definitely take the GTX660 Ti. How much would a non-Ti GTX660 cost you though? That would be well worth considering - I'd take a GTX660 over a 7870 and it should cost less too. The Ti version only adds ~10% performance.
Score
0
December 23, 2012 12:22:41 PM

non Ti GTX660 from MSI is $300, Gigabyte @ $285

RMA in India isn't easy so I was skipping on MSI which my friend has. will check again and think it over.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:31:21 PM

Well if you don't get your friend's, the Gigabyte one looks like an excellent deal. The Ti model is a lot more money just for another 10% speed.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:39:14 PM

http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660...
this will do nicely and for 20,000 i think it is worth the price
the 7870 is weaker than the 660ti
660ti is competing with 7950, and beats it some times too!
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
the resolution closest to yours is the 1680*1050 so look in that one, it not only beats the 7870 but also the 7950!
and given that is is only 3000 more i think it is a really good deal!

dont get me wrong the 7870 is enough for your resolution, but 660ti is better than the 7870 so it will give better framerates, and therefore last longer...
plus a few nvidia features like GPU boost, TXAA, FXAA Phsyx etc. not that awesome features but still nice to hav :p 
if u think it is not worth 3000 more, u can go with the 7870, but if u CAN then i say 660 ti is definately a better choice

EDIT: i cant find a 7870 for 17000! can u giv me a link?
Score
0
December 23, 2012 12:42:09 PM

skelv said:
That entrails a lot of additional funds for board and CPU which I am not planning to invest rt now. Most places I check, the current CPU is supposed to be able to handle games with both these cards. Have a V8 cooler and planning to overclock when the giong gets tough for the poor ol soul of 955



Read your review, there you mentioning not to pick the 660Ti due to higher price, How does it apply in may case, local price: 7870 US$330, 660Ti US$ 390

As you wish.But then don't come back crying here asking why your FPS is so low compared to online benchmarks.xD :bounce: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 12:53:51 PM

+1 to dheeraj, though he forgot the best feature - adaptive v-sync :-)
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 1:02:31 PM

Dude, Just get GTX 660 Ti or Non Ti. Doesn't matters.
I would get any GTX 660 or Ti card over that 7870. Even if the card gives a little less FPS.

And in Mumbai, you'll get cheaper rates. Same is for Delhi.
But in other places, the condition isn't same.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 1:26:43 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Dude, Just get GTX 660 Ti or Non Ti. Doesn't matters.
I would get any GTX 660 or Ti card over that 7870. Even if the card gives a little less FPS.

And in Mumbai, you'll get cheaper rates. Same is for Delhi.
But in other places, the condition isn't same.


u are a nvidia fanboy and also very unknowledgeable.
i know wat u r referring to by saying the framerate thing and your signature
i read that article too, but like u i didn't behave like a dummy and agree, i researched some more and thought about it too, and amd's lowest FPS are better than nvidia's in most cases, which is more important.
and u know what? the ONLY thing that accounts as smoother gameplay is the FPS system.
i know the article when someguy said the 660ti and 7950, the 660ti gave slower FPS but smoother gameplay in 120FPS
when he looked in SLOWMOTION :lol:  do u realise how stupid that is?
if the FPS is same they will be equally smooth in ALL conditions.
the article was useless and may even be fake
do u even know wat FPS means???
it means : Frames Per Second rendered by the GPU.
the more frames the faster the rate of change of frames and smoother the gameplay, and if the FPS given by a 7950 is not smooth to u just buy a GTX690
and be happy.
Stop giving useless advices
the only way i will believe that crap is when THIS website says so.
and please change your signature, it is very misleading to new people.
and also a 7870 is better than the 660ti
Score
0
December 23, 2012 1:31:33 PM

sam_p_lay said:
+1 to dheeraj, though he forgot the best feature - adaptive v-sync :-)



didn't forget, didn't know :)  , and btw, MSI overvolt is no big deal rt?


cooldudesubho said:
As you wish.But then don't come back crying here asking why your FPS is so low compared to online benchmarks.xD :bounce: 


I know the limitations on CPU but only looking at change of GPU for now and best possible option. CPU upgrade will come perhaps a yr down the line. Expect the 955 to hold fort till then under OC.

dheeraj9933 said:
http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660...
this will do nicely and for 20,000 i think it is worth the price
the 7870 is weaker than the 660ti
660ti is competing with 7950, and beats it some times too!
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
the resolution closest to yours is the 1680*1050 so look in that one, it not only beats the 7870 but also the 7950!
and given that is is only 3000 more i think it is a really good deal!

dont get me wrong the 7870 is enough for your resolution, but 660ti is better than the 7870 so it will give better framerates, and therefore last longer...
plus a few nvidia features like GPU boost, TXAA, FXAA Phsyx etc. not that awesome features but still nice to hav :p 
if u think it is not worth 3000 more, u can go with the 7870, but if u CAN then i say 660 ti is definately a better choice

EDIT: i cant find a 7870 for 17000! can u giv me a link?



Flipkart prices are higher for almost all computer parts. 7870 is for 17.5-18k on lamington road, mumbai.
it's not just for 3000 hike. When I started looking for a card last week, i was thinking of a 7770 for my current monitor cupporting a 1440x900 max res, now planning for a monitor change to 24" 1080p & for cards, i am moving up for best bank for buck option which doesn't disappoint me over he next 2 yrs. I was already about to spend about Rs17000($330) , another 3000 is 18% and if it makes better option in performance boost, it makes the cut for me.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 1:32:11 PM

Go check the Forum, There are Many Complains regarding 7950.
I've seen 50% of the people here that when they get a 7950, the next day they say that The Quality isn't nice and its a little laggy.

Edit: And now I removed that Signature. Just for you
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 1:47:35 PM

Dheeraj, that post was unnecessary. Many people disagree with you about frames/second, and if you took the time to investigate it, you'd understand why. I didn't know either, so I opened a thread to gather information:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/380802-15-frames-me...

If you don't understand the flaws in the methodology, this is very simple and easy to understand:

http://techreport.com/review/24022/does-the-radeon-hd-7...

Don't disregard articles because they're not written by your favourite site. I saw somebody recently refusing to believe anything that wasn't written by Tom's. He just totally refused to even look it at. Made him look very narrow-minded, and he ended up just looking like a complete idiot. People wouldn't take him seriously. Tom's is a great site, but they're not the only people doing this. And frame latency benchmarking actually is coming to Tom's anyway, so you'll be seeing it soon enough.
Score
0
December 23, 2012 2:00:20 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
u are a nvidia fanboy and also very unknowledgeable.
i know wat u r referring to by saying the framerate thing and your signature
i read that article too, but like u i didn't behave like a dummy and agree, i researched some more and thought about it too, and amd's lowest FPS are better than nvidia's in most cases, which is more important.
and u know what? the ONLY thing that accounts as smoother gameplay is the FPS system.
i know the article when someguy said the 660ti and 7950, the 660ti gave slower FPS but smoother gameplay in 120FPS
when he looked in SLOWMOTION :lol:  do u realise how stupid that is?
if the FPS is same they will be equally smooth in ALL conditions.
the article was useless and may even be fake
do u even know wat FPS means???
it means : Frames Per Second rendered by the GPU.
the more frames the faster the rate of change of frames and smoother the gameplay, and if the FPS given by a 7950 is not smooth to u just buy a GTX690
and be happy.
Stop giving useless advices
the only way i will believe that crap is when THIS website says so.
and please change your signature, it is very misleading to new people.
and also a 7870 is better than the 660ti

Oh you are not very bright.Framerate latency is more improtant than actual framerate in case you never knew.Only 2 sites measure this.One is hardop and other techreport.And Hardop always said SLI gives smooth experience than crossfire even if crossfire is providing more framerate AMD gaming evolved game.

Actually many tech sites benchmarking methology is complete BS.Some tech sites don't even tell you which part of the game is benchmaked.Latency test is as important as framerate test.Higher framerates doesn't means smoother gameplay.If your analogy was true then i guess multi gpu solution would have been more smoother than single gpu solution.Now that is not the case.
Score
0
December 23, 2012 2:02:00 PM

Definitely the 660 Ti
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:16:50 PM

cooldudesubho said:
Oh you are not very bright.Framerate latency is more improtant than actual framerate in case you never knew.Only 2 sites measure this.One is hardop and other techreport.And Hardop always said SLI gives smooth experience than crossfire even if crossfire is providing more framerate AMD gaming evolved game.

Actually many tech sites benchmarking methology is complete BS.Some tech sites don't even tell you which part of the game is benchmaked.Latency test is as important as framerate test.Higher framerates doesn't means smoother gameplay.If your analogy was true then i guess multi gpu solution would have been more smoother than single gpu solution.Now that is not the case.

a link would be really appreciated
and also the website is "hardOCP" not hardop
and the reason multigpu solution is not good is not the GPU's fault it's be bad drivers and ignorance.
Score
0
December 23, 2012 2:18:32 PM

cooldudesubho said:
Oh you are not very bright.Framerate latency is more improtant than actual framerate in case you never knew.Only 2 sites measure this.One is hardop and other techreport.And Hardop always said SLI gives smooth experience than crossfire even if crossfire is providing more framerate AMD gaming evolved game.

Actually many tech sites benchmarking methology is complete BS.Some tech sites don't even tell you which part of the game is benchmaked.Latency test is as important as framerate test.Higher framerates doesn't means smoother gameplay.If your analogy was true then i guess multi gpu solution would have been more smoother than single gpu solution.Now that is not the case.


They only tested one card, one card. One card is not enough for a conclusion considering that their old results contradict their new one and the fps measurements contradicts every other tech site on the web. There are proofs that this is nothing more than a driver error. When it gets fixed, R7950 will thrash GTX 660 ti.

Since AMD is getting all next gen console, you can bet games will be AMD optimized.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:25:51 PM

It's not a driver error on AMD's side - look at the older articles and you'll see Radeons were always inconsistent. But you'll also see that GeForces were inconsistent too, in some games they were less consistent than Radeons (GRID for example). So what's significant about these results is not that the Radeon does poorly. What's significant is how smooth the GeForce now is. And that probably is down to drivers, but a major driver improvement on nVidia's side.

Tech Report contacted both AMD and nVidia in 2011 to talk to them about framerate consistency. Both companies said they're aware their GPUs aren't putting out consistent performance, and both companies said they're working it. nVidia actually said they have a project specifically aimed at this problem. Maybe the exceptional consistency we're seeing is the result of that project?
Score
0
December 23, 2012 2:28:20 PM

burntpizza said:


Since AMD is getting all next gen console, you can bet games will be AMD optimized.

lol
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:29:05 PM

sam_p_lay said:

Tech Report contacted both AMD and nVidia in 2011 to talk to them about framerate consistency. Both companies said they're aware their GPUs aren't putting out consistent performance, and both companies said they're working it. nVidia actually said they have a project specifically aimed at this problem. Maybe the exceptional consistency we're seeing is the result of that project?


Nvidia was smart to aim for the Project. :) 
Thats why we have Adaptive V-sync for lovely Experience :sarcastic: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:32:23 PM

burntpizza said:

Since AMD is getting all next gen console, you can bet games will be AMD optimized.


Consoles always had got a Level below PC.
So doesn't matters who rules that. PC provides the Best experience.

And there are Nvidia Optimized games too. The games that use Physx, You can't ignore them.

Score
0

Best solution

a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:32:34 PM

that vsync is just a nice feature, there seems to have microstutters rarely on the 7800 and 7900 series except u really have to look for it, when overclocked nicely the 7950 and 7870 can kick the gtx 660s ti butt.

but def if he can afford it id say get the gtx 660ti and overclock it good :) 

Share
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 3:49:44 PM

First i wanna say
"Thank you" and the "Sorry" to some people
actually between my first post and the one which i was being a jerk and ignorant,
i had a really bad fight with someone. and that really pissed me off and when i was writing it i was in a very angry mood and didn't even bother to think twice berfore writing.

but now the problem is solved and so is the fight i had :) 
but when i came back, i came back to a really long discussion about wat i said!!
So lets forget my personal issues and continue the discussion without insulting anybody

So i'm not a stranger to FPS latency system and have read articles about it too, and how that is if not more than atleast equally important to the FPS system.
and yeah "I" think it is very imp. too!!
and like there are lists of max avg. and low FPS
max avg. and low latency should be included, bcoz it is imp. too
and acc. to me max latency is more imp. than lowest FPS
bcoz low FPS might be in some areas but max latency could happen every minute!
Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 3:54:58 PM

look all this talk about latency is mumbo, 99% of people wont notice it, and when it happens it rare, its not a determining factor when buying a gpu.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:03:04 PM

and for the guy who said next gen consoles will have AMD so games will be better on AMD :lol: 
Now, i dont wanna be rude but here is how it is....
first of all i want u to know that the xbox 360 already has an AMD graphics card!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)
it is the xenos chip, and very close to ATI Radeon X1800
which is OLD but still AMD(that time it was ATI)
so are games already optimised for AMD now? .......NO
there are a lot of reasons for that, but i dont think giving u a detailed explanation on this thread will be right, bcoz i will be drifting away from the orignal topic.
u can research on your own or just think for a while, u may get the answer, or start a new thread.
For your statement all i can say is just because xbox will have AMD dosent mean the the "PC" version will be optimised for AMD just as well as the xbox.
So dont say that again as a advise for graphics card buying
and just for saying if u didn;t know the next xbox is rumoured to have a card similar to the
HD6670!!
Score
0
December 23, 2012 4:14:40 PM

iceclock said:
that vsync is just a nice feature, there seems to have microstutters rarely on the 7800 and 7900 series except u really have to look for it, when overclocked nicely the 7950 and 7870 can kick the gtx 660s ti butt.

but def if he can afford it id say get the gtx 660ti and overclock it good :) 


So effectively you are saying that after oc, 7950/7870 kick 660Ti but lower than an oc'ed 660Ti :D  ,
how's the MSI 660Ti for overclock!
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/computer-components/p...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:28:00 PM

iceclock said:
look all this talk about latency is mumbo, 99% of people wont notice it, and when it happens it rare, its not a determining factor when buying a gpu.

maybe u didn't get the point
we weren't saying that it is the most determining factor,
but we were saying that avg. FPS is not teh most imp. factor.
and yeah some people may not notice it, but some people dont even notice the aliasing in games right? :sol: 
and also what sumukh meant was that avg. fps is not as imp. as consistent performance
http://techreport.com/r.x/7950-vs-660ti/skyrim.gif
look 7950's avg FPS is more but the 660ti gives a more consistent and less fluctuating FPS
which some people consider a factor in gaming "experience" not performance
so it's just upto an individual person.
and the reason it is not noticable is bcoz when it happens its for a small time and the FPS dosent drop to 0!
30 is consider avg. but to tell u the truth it is NOT
i myself have played the witcher(2007) in 12-15 avg. FPS!!
and it was perfectly playable!! i guess it also depends on specific game engines and how they use their technology!
NFS most wanted(2005) i played on an avg. 10-11FPS on my friends system and it was smooth!!
i just opened fraps to see the FPS and when i saw 10FPS i was shocked :o 
so i guess that is the explanation for ur comment,
just bcoz it is your opinion and u dont care dosent mean no one else should either,
i'm just saying it should not be just ignored bcoz if frame latency is an imp. factor bcoz if it werent, nvidia wouldn't hav put a whole team just for THIS
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:40:17 PM

skelv said:
So effectively you are saying that after oc, 7950/7870 kick 660Ti but lower than an oc'ed 660Ti :D  ,
how's the MSI 660Ti for overclock!
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/computer-components/p...

Nvidia already has "GPU boost" which is a automatic overclock
but if u still want to OC
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power...

but read this page too, at-least the end part.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/msi-gtx-660-...

look.... between the 7870 and 660ti the 660ti will win and like I said if u can get it, get it!!
I already gave u links in which a 660ti beat a 7950 too!
it is a good card and automatically overclocks when u need it!
and not just for your current resolution, but for 1080p too!
Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:46:18 PM

yes we can all agree the gtx 660ti is good, but alot more expensive than the 7870, like ive said when overclocked the 7870 will beat a stock gtx 660ti and if not atleast equalize it.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:48:07 PM

Didn't we already talk about how overclocks are never guaranteed? Or was that the other thread? And how it's stupid to ever compare any card's overclocked performance to another card's stock performance. All cards can overclock. And plenty of people don't even want to overclock.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 5:11:44 PM

@iceclock
the 660ti is 20,000 and 7870 is 17,000 in India, the country he lives in and will buy the card from
and i agree with sam, it is not right to compare any card's overclocked performance to another card's stock performance, not just it is unfair, it's stupid!!!
and for just 3000 more i think it is a great deal, Overclock or not
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 5:19:01 PM

and for the latency topic i would like to add that,
comparing just 1 card from each company to judge everyone else is unfair
those were just 660ti and 7950, the performance in each card is different
http://techreport.com/review/23690/review-nvidia-geforc...
like in this one, the 7850 has lower latency than the 650ti(Nvidia)
so just taking 2 cards and saying "Nvidia is better" is wrong
Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 7:44:51 PM

its not stupid, because people say its not possible the 7870 is faster than the 660gtx in any case, and i like to prove its possible, i never said all cards overclock the same, dont put words in my mouth please, moving on ;D also 1700 rupies is cheaper than 20k ruppies, depends of maximum budget of op.

Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 7:48:10 PM

u guys dont look at the overall big picture, some games favour the gtx 660ti and some the 7950 and 7870. in general the 7870 is very far behind both the above and when overclocked can be as fast or faster depending on the cards cooling and luck with the card, the point here is the best bang for bucks, not whats more expensive and slightly better at stock.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 7:57:46 PM

It's pretty simple really. All cards overclock. No overclocks are guaranteed. People are always saying things like 'you can overclock a GTX670 to GTX680 speeds so don't buy a GTX680' as if the GTX680 is fixed speed and can't be overclocked. I'd say either compare stock to stock, or overclocked to overclocked. Problem with that latter is that (like we mentioned), overclocks aren't guaranteed, so we can't know what the max speeds are. It's a lot simpler to compare stock performance, especially when many people don't even want to overclock anyway.
Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 11:04:02 PM

oh i agree, im just saying some people say its not possible to beat x card by card z, well i like to prove otherwise cuz its possible, ur right stock vs stock is the easiest and simpliest way to compare cards, but i dont like to limit myself to expensive cards only, when i can get a cheaper card that gets 98% of a alot more expensive card by overclocking.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 11:09:04 PM

Yeah I always look at it in averages - there will always be games that do better on AMD or better on nVidia, so I look at general trends averaged across a range of games. You're gonna want to be holding on to it for a year or two at least, and who knows whether the next game released that you want to play will be nVidia-friendly or AMD-friendly! And it is good to keep in mind what the performance differences really mean. People talk about 10% (some even 5%) as if it's a big deal, when in reality it's the difference between 30fps and 31.5fps or 33fps.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 12:48:22 AM

I would get a Nvidia Card over a Competitive AMD Card because of Physx & Adaptive V-sync.
And the Benchmarks aren't always same. I mean that the Setup they have and the Setup we have is always different. Not all of us have i7 3960X or GTX 680.
So, Choose wisely between 2 Competitive Cards. They are more likely to perform same. ;) 


Guess what? I've found my new Signature. :na: 
Score
0
December 24, 2012 2:06:49 AM

One more query, should i go for a card immediately or wait a few days and ext gen might get announced shortly(eg: CES).

Requirements are more or less immediate but if i can snag a better deal waiting for a few more days. i wouldn't mind waiting out till Feb.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:04:39 AM

well, here is the next gen thing:
AMD is more likely to put out next gen first(in Q2 2013)
and Nvidia in the latter six months of 2013.
and there are possibilities that just like AMD did this year, the cards will be overpriced!
and when Nvidia launches their cards AMD will have price cuts.
the 7870 was launched at 350$!!!
now it is around 230$! that is a HUGE price cut.
So, sure if u want to wait till feb to pay more, it is just your choice, but I think,
"buy the best u can right now"
is the way too go.
So 660ti is my final word
and considering that your "Requirements are more or less immediate" this just makes 660ti a better option in many ways
Score
0
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:59:57 AM

i bought a 7870 for 200$ without a mail-in-rebate sorry but best bang for bucks is 7870 right here,

if he can afford it gtx 660ti :)  or a 7950 vapor-x :D 

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 4:12:37 AM

icelock clearly prefers AMD, because he has an AMD card
and he can get a 660ti for 20,000 but finding a 7950 for 20k
is difficult, so a 660ti is a better choice even for the money.
Score
0
December 24, 2012 4:43:22 AM

OP since being from india can rule out overclocking.Considering the ambient temp of india is really high as compared to European temperatures.During summer ambient temp can reach over 35c.Runing a OC card at that temp is not good.unless his house is fully air conditioned.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 4:44:47 AM

cooldudesubho said:
OP since being from india can rule out overclocking.Considering the ambient temp of india is really high as compared to European temperatures.During summer ambient temp can reach over 35c.Runing a OC card at that temp is not good.unless his house is fully air conditioned.


Dude, it reaches 40 in Summer. :lol: 
Score
0
December 24, 2012 4:45:07 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
icelock clearly prefers AMD, because he has an AMD card
and he can get a 660ti for 20,000 but finding a 7950 for 20k
is difficult, so a 660ti is a better choice even for the money.

All the 20k 7950 in india are from HIS and sapphire using crappy coolers and non-reference design.Reference 7950 or asus 7950 all cost over 25k.
Score
0
!