message about not having enough memory again. I will probably try changing
memory types, but I don't know what that will do to other software. Does
anyone know, or have a better suggestion.

CJ/CAMiller01 at indianatech.net

P4 2Ghz+
1 Gig RAM
XP Home
1 answer Last reply
More about game developed memory problem

    Master of Magic requires Expanded Memory to run.

    Unfortunately newer motherboards include onboard devices
    video/nic/sound/usb/controllers that use the memory ranges that EMS
    commonly uses. For DOS it's easy to reassign the memory ranges and get
    at lease some EMS memory, for NT it likes to use a set memory range
    which cannot be modified.

    To determine if you have this problem go to c:\Windows, right-click on
    _default.pif, go to properties and adjust the memory settings for EMS
    to maximum. Then open a command prompt, type in MEM and look for EMS.
    If you don't have EMS then you have the above problem. To fix this
    problem you'll have to go into your Bios and start disabling onboard
    devices....usually USB and IDE.

    For obvious reason's you'll likely need USB and IDE so the absolute
    best way to play Master of Magic without messing up your machine is to
    use http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

    Liastnir wrote:
    > I play Microprose's Master of Magic, about 10 years old. It used to
    have
    > issues with memory and Dos that could be fixed by changing EMS/XMS
    memory
    > settings. Now I'm trying to play it on my new computer, and I'm
    getting a
    > message about not having enough memory again. I will probably try
    changing
    > memory types, but I don't know what that will do to other software.
    Does
    > anyone know, or have a better suggestion.
    >
    > CJ/CAMiller01 at indianatech.net
    >
    > P4 2Ghz+
    > 1 Gig RAM
    > XP Home