Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual Boot (W7 & Ubuntu) from seperate SSD's? Or should I go mSATA?

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2013 11:02:37 AM

I am building a new system, that I am planning on dual booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I wanted to know if it is possible to have 2 OS's on separate drives? Can you dual boot from dual drives? Also, I already have a 1TB drive that I plan to use for data. I was wondering if I should go the mSATA cache route instead of SSD for my OS?

My Build (So Far):
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Data Storage: Western Digital 1TB Black
Heat Sync: Cool Master 212 Evo
Power: Corsair CX600

Best solution

February 7, 2013 12:22:11 PM

yes you can do one os per drive, when booting you will have to select which drive to boot from depending on os you want to use. since you have a 1 tb drive you can partition it and install the two oses on separate partitions too
February 7, 2013 1:34:53 PM

alvine said:
yes you can do one os per drive, when booting you will have to select which drive to boot from depending on os you want to use. since you have a 1 tb drive you can partition it and install the two oses on separate partitions too

Thank you. Will I have to manually go into the bios and switch the boot drive each time, or will I just have to select an OS on boot?
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2013 1:38:14 PM

I think you will have to do it manually with f8 unless you install some third party boot manager
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:28:20 PM

Best answer selected by atlchris.
m
l
!