GPU setup for triple-monitor gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingLentil

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hi, I am looking to buy a new computer that will be used for gaming and all the other general stuff (internet, photoshop and such). The games that I will be playing are ARMA: II, Blacklight Retribution, ARMA III, CS:GO, Dayz, Far Cry 3 and TF2 to name a few.

The setup I have decided on is this
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=120556&action=wish_lists (hope that link works)
My total initial budget is $2000 hence the single monitor. My plan is to buy another 2 monitors a month after the purchase of the tower when I have the available funds.

The only component I am undecided on is the GPU. I have heard that gaming at over 1920x1080 the AMD cards excel? I am tossing it up between a 7970 or a pair of 7870's. Specifically the ASUS Radeon HD7970 Matrix Platinum 3GB or the MSI Radeon HD7870 Hawk 2GB x2.

Any advice on the build would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
For a three monitor set up the 7970 Matrix Platinum 3GB would be a solid choice.However the motherboard you picked would not be a good fit.I recommend For bang for the buck boards Asus P8Z77-V . You get Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SLI and Crossfire plus the best USB 3.0 performance i seen under Windows 7 thus far.Ever since Intel’s introduction of the Z77 chipset, motherboard giant Gigabyte has made huge leaps in in improvements on their motherboards all the way from the budget end to the extreme high end and the Z77X-D3H is a perfect example of what kind of top quality products can be achieved.

With support for PCIe 3.0, SATA 3 6Gb/s, 8 channel integrated audio, Gigabyte’s fully digital power delivery system, and ultra durable 4 features, it’s...

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
For a three monitor set up the 7970 Matrix Platinum 3GB would be a solid choice.However the motherboard you picked would not be a good fit.I recommend For bang for the buck boards Asus P8Z77-V . You get Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SLI and Crossfire plus the best USB 3.0 performance i seen under Windows 7 thus far.Ever since Intel’s introduction of the Z77 chipset, motherboard giant Gigabyte has made huge leaps in in improvements on their motherboards all the way from the budget end to the extreme high end and the Z77X-D3H is a perfect example of what kind of top quality products can be achieved.

With support for PCIe 3.0, SATA 3 6Gb/s, 8 channel integrated audio, Gigabyte’s fully digital power delivery system, and ultra durable 4 features, it’s got a lot going for it.I highly recommend either one. Also your power supply is much more then needed go for this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=13567

Solution

FlyingLentil

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the advice! The P8Z77-V is a seems like much better mobo when compared with the one I selected. With the power supply I think I'll stick with the 850 due to the fact that i'll be overclocking and there is a possibility of another 7970.

Commandermadi

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
The 7970 will be better than 2 7870's in crossfire. This card thanks to its 3 GB vram and 384 bit memory bus width can handle the games you mentioned at multiple monitor resolutions. Though, I guess the 7970 GHZ will be a better choice than the normal one.

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
No problem.Your welcome.Well in that case i would suggest you stick with the 850W as well. ;)

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
What do you mean? OP said that it was down to 7870 CF or 7970 everyone is on topic.I personally prefer NV but that has nothing to do with the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.