Windows Media Center Extender

sreeve29

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Looking to do away with my Comcast PVR, which costs a whopping $18/month.
I've already picked up a Hauppauge DCR-2650, and it works fine with Windows Media Center in Windows 8 Pro.
I've already recorded shows from it (not yet with the Comcast Cable Card, but that's next).

My question is: how do I pull the files off this PC and play them on my television in the other room?
From what I'm reading, the Roku devices won't do this, and it appears that the WD Live won't either.

I'm considering picking up an Xbox 360 4GB (I know that will work, my son's Xbox 360 does this just fine). I could also pick up a slim, small, fanless PC that would do the trick.

I was hoping that there was a device in the $50 - $100 range that would just recognize the WMC pc in the other room and stream it right to the television. [Intel Atom D2700 Quiet Mini-ITX is an example, they're about $200 on Ebay, would need a hard drive and an OS - but that's easy enough]

Any suggestions?

sreeve29

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Looks great but it says right off the bat that Windows 8 does not support the Echo.
I know that I need to take that with a grain of salt. It might work or it might not work at all.
I can't really tell. I read the reviews on newegg and amazon and no one says for sure.

Sometimes I just wish I had stayed at Windows 7.

Windows 8 - best bet is an XBox360.
Windows 7 - the best solution is the XBox360, but the Ceton Echo has a lot of promise...from what I have read there are a few issues with it - but it is a new product and coming from Ceton - they will have it perfected soon.