Nikon D50 vs D70s

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 29, 2005 2:24:16 AM

For anyone interested in a noise comparison between the
Nikon D50 and D70s I have put up a simple test I did after
work today.

http://web.aanet.com.au/pics/docs/d50_d70s_noise.htm

-Mike

More about : nikon d50 d70s

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:24:17 AM

Mike Warren <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote:
> For anyone interested in a noise comparison between the
> Nikon D50 and D70s I have put up a simple test I did after
> work today.
>
> http://web.aanet.com.au/pics/docs/d50_d70s_noise.htm

Well, the picture on the D70s definitely looks noisier. However, it
also looks as if you have a sensor problem on the D70s, as there is a
"smuge" on all of the D70s images right above the tree line.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 29, 2005 3:11:40 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Mike Warren <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote:
>> For anyone interested in a noise comparison between the
>> Nikon D50 and D70s I have put up a simple test I did after
>> work today.
>>
>> http://web.aanet.com.au/pics/docs/d50_d70s_noise.htm
>>

> Well, the picture on the D70s definitely looks noisier. However, it
> also looks as if you have a sensor problem on the D70s, as there is a
> "smuge" on all of the D70s images right above the tree line.

If you mean where the front mast stay crosses the tree line
that is a cloud. You will see the clouds there if you look at
the full image.

-Mike
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 3:11:41 AM

Mike Warren <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote:

> If you mean where the front mast stay crosses the tree line
> that is a cloud. You will see the clouds there if you look at
> the full image.

Yes, that is what I was looking at. Bummer, I have the D70 and I am
sure that it is equally as noisy. I have noticed the significant noise
above about 640, but it hasn't really been much of an issue. I wonder
what they are doing different with the D50 to reduce the noise.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 29, 2005 4:07:16 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Yes, that is what I was looking at. Bummer, I have the D70 and I am
> sure that it is equally as noisy. I have noticed the significant
> noise above about 640, but it hasn't really been much of an issue. I
> wonder what they are doing different with the D50 to reduce the noise.

Here is some of the EXIF data: (the photos on the web still have
the EXIF embedded)

Camera: NIKON D50
Aperture: f 8.0
ISO: 1600
Shutter speed: 1/4000 s
EV ±0,00 EV
Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
Metering mode: Multisegment
White balance: Automatic

Camera: NIKON D70s
Aperture: f 8.0
ISO: 1600
Shutter speed: 1/6400 s
EV ±0,00 EV
Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
Metering mode: Multisegment
White balance: Automatic

See how the D50 chose a slower shutter speed. That would
tend to indicate that the ISO is actually lower than the D70s.

I no longer have a light meter so can't tell which camera is
correct.

-Mike
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:07:17 AM

Mike Warren <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>> Yes, that is what I was looking at. Bummer, I have the D70 and I am
>> sure that it is equally as noisy. I have noticed the significant
>> noise above about 640, but it hasn't really been much of an issue. I
>> wonder what they are doing different with the D50 to reduce the noise.
>
> Here is some of the EXIF data: (the photos on the web still have
> the EXIF embedded)
>
> Camera: NIKON D50
> Aperture: f 8.0
> ISO: 1600
> Shutter speed: 1/4000 s
> EV ?0,00 EV
> Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
> Metering mode: Multisegment
> White balance: Automatic
>
> Camera: NIKON D70s
> Aperture: f 8.0
> ISO: 1600
> Shutter speed: 1/6400 s
> EV ?0,00 EV
> Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
> Metering mode: Multisegment
> White balance: Automatic
>
> See how the D50 chose a slower shutter speed. That would
> tend to indicate that the ISO is actually lower than the D70s.
>
> I no longer have a light meter so can't tell which camera is
> correct.

Try taking these photos manually. One complaint I have seen about the
D70 is its normal ability to underexpose by 1/3 stop. I suspect the
Adobe RAW converted and autoadjusted the exposure.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 29, 2005 4:07:17 AM

Mike Warren <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote:

> See how the D50 chose a slower shutter speed. That would
> tend to indicate that the ISO is actually lower than the D70s.

Oh yeah, I think it says more about the meter than about the Sensor ISO.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 29, 2005 5:06:23 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Try taking these photos manually. One complaint I have seen about the
> D70 is its normal ability to underexpose by 1/3 stop. I suspect the
> Adobe RAW converted and autoadjusted the exposure.

I'll see if I can take some manual ones tomorrow. These pics also
had quite different white balance settings in ACR so I'l also try Nikon
View.

-Mike
January 31, 2006 5:39:10 AM

the d70(s) is an incredible camera; i know tons of pros who use them or at least would use them if only it looked more "professional".

you can sometimes find the d50 kit at $600-650, which makes it a better deal for most
June 23, 2006 4:08:22 PM

If you want quality good out of jpeg and don't wanna mess too much with post prossesing D50, if you are willing to mess with photoshop D70s can yield better results not with noise but features and flexibility. Overall the D50 is a great camera for anyone.
!