Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose Intel CPU

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2013 2:59:24 PM

Ever since I built my current computer I have yet to upgrade anything and have always went with AMD in terms of my processor. I am now looking into investing some money into upgrades and am heavily favoring an Intel CPU. I don't do any serious gaming lately as I am a full time student but I play the occasional game (SCII, Withcher 2, etc). I mainly use my PC to surf multiple multiple tabs in Firefox, downloading w/ uTorrent, playing videos on my second monitor, etc..

If I were to buy an Intel CPU will it be compatible with the rest of my components (GPU, Ram, etc)? Basically I just need to switch the CPU (obviously) and buy a compatible motherboard correct?

If I were to buy a new CPU I'm currently looking most likely to buying an Intel i5 or i7 but wouldn't know which one to select or what exactly to look for.

What would you recommend for a new Intel CPU and compatible motherboard? I will definitely be over clocking as well and don't want my motherboard to hold me back (for instance my current motherboard doesn't have "vrm cooling")

Current Setup is below:
Ram: g.Skill Ripjaws 8gb
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
Power: 600W OCZ
Case: MidTower
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460

More about : choose intel cpu

a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 3:13:53 PM

Yeah you would have to Buy a new motherboard as well, the i5-3570k Is great bang for your buck. paired with a z77 motherboard, you will have no problem overclocking. Just make sure you buy a better cpu cooler.
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:31:34 PM

Alright well which z77 motherboard would you recommend? Also is "z77" a socket type or what
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2013 3:36:55 PM

Wait for Intel's "Haswell" CPU's to come out. They should offer a little more performance. They are releasing them in the summer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 3:38:39 PM

The socket type is 1155.
Z77 is the chipset version.
I like ASRock motherboards, they are cheaper, but still have good quality and all the bells and whistles.
The i5-3570K is arguably the best gaming CPU currently out.
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:58:56 PM

Alright so what exactly is the difference between the socket type and the chipset version? I konw I need a z77 so which motherboard would you guys recommend?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2013 4:03:58 PM

cctaylor88 said:
Alright so what exactly is the difference between the socket type and the chipset version? I konw I need a z77 so which motherboard would you guys recommend?

Depends on how much you want to spend. The best in the sub $150 category are the Asrock Extreme 4 and the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H.
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:12:08 PM

Just wait 4 more months for Haswell!

They have better performance and less power consumption I hear.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2013 4:27:18 PM

cctaylor88 said:
Okay awesome so I def want a Z77 then for sure, what about the motherboards on this ad for a Microcenter walk-in discount? http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/c0a7cbf9#/c0a7cbf9/...

Anything you see there? I see an Extreme 6 I believe..also what is the difference between the Extreme 4 and 6

They're the same board, the only difference is the Extreme 6 includes a front-mounted USB 3.0 bracket.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 4:32:52 PM

Get the i5-3570K+ASUS P8Z77-V LK for just 250$ total(190$ for the cpu and 60$ for the motherboard) in microcenter.
The asus has all the features that you need(including SLI/Crossfire support at 8x/8x) and it's cheaper.
You can reuse the ram, it's perfectly compatible, the psu, the case, hdd, dvd drive and gfx card.
If you need an aftermarket cooler : http://www.amazon.com/Xigmatek-Computer-Heatsink-GAIA-S...

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2013 4:38:31 PM

djangoringo said:
Get the i5-3570K+ASUS P8Z77-V LK for just 250$ total(190$ for the cpu and 60$ for the motherboard) in microcenter.
The asus has all the features that you need(including SLI/Crossfire support at 8x/8x) and it's cheaper.
You can reuse the ram, it's perfectly compatible, the psu, the case, hdd, dvd drive and gfx card.
If you need an aftermarket cooler : http://www.amazon.com/Xigmatek-Computer-Heatsink-GAIA-S...

I'd get a Hyper 212 over a Xigmatek Gaia - I had one and lost a motherboard over it due to the incredibly cheap thermal compound it comes with. Plus the fans are incredibly difficult to attach to the heat sink. I'd stay away.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 4:42:31 PM

It's a good cooler for it's price, in my opinion the hyper 212 evo is getting overpriced.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2013 4:43:41 PM

djangoringo said:
It's a good cooler for it's price, in my opinion the hyper 212 evo is getting overpriced.

I'm currently using my Gaia as a paper weight. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 4:46:05 PM

The difficulty of the gaia and hyper 212 mounting are about the same, performance wise the hyper 212 evo is slightly better, but it's getting expensive at more than 30$.
The gaia is a competent cooler for it's price, for just 20$, it makes now a good budget cooler to take in consideration.
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:54:05 PM

You didn't specify if you have any specific requirements so maybe ASRock Z77 Extreme6.

As for question about i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge), I would still go for I7-2600K (Sandy Bridge).

Ivy can be maybe 5% faster clock to clock and have slightly lower consumption, but I don't like their much higher thermals as it can easily get up to 24 degrees more hot then Sandy. Smaller surface area and Intel putting thermal paste instead of soldering is at fault there.
m
l
February 7, 2013 5:03:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
They're the same board, the only difference is the Extreme 6 includes a front-mounted USB 3.0 bracket.

Well Extreme 6 also add 3rd PCI-e x16, 1x mini PCI-e, display port and usb bracket.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 7, 2013 5:18:37 PM

xrodney said:
Well Extreme 6 also add 3rd PCI-e x16, 1x mini PCI-e, display port and usb bracket.

Oh OK I thought they were the same board but it's good to know that it supports 3-Way SLI.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 5:21:25 PM

I just jumped over to intel after being with AMD since the AMD K6-2. I went with a i5 3570K Ivy Bridge on a Asus Z77 Sabertooth. So far I am really liking it. I had made the decision to build a new rig for 2013 but given the fact I was already running a AMD FX-8350 there was not really any way to go up on the CPU so went intel.

It was a little strange at first not running anything AMD after using there GPU and CPU's for so many years now to go intel/Nvidia but so far I love it. Plus I had the added bonus of being able to setup a dual boot Windows 8/OSX 10.8.2 Hackintosh and have everything detected and working natively under OSX something I could not do with AMD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 5:27:17 PM

If he's going to a microcenter store, the only option is the i5-3570k which is at 190$ and has the combo for the motherboards, the i5-3570k is the best option, as for the motherboard, either the asus LK or extreme 4, the asus is 60$, the extreme 4 for 80$ with discount combo.
m
l
!