how do I create a separate profile for gaming?

I ask because since I have the Internet through the cable company and am
always on I have to keep a virus scanner running and a firewall running (not
to mention my spam blocker) and I think this is cutting into my frame rates
and game performance. I'd like to create something bare bones for gaming.
Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about create separate profile gaming

    Hi Stephen,

    "Stephen Lawrence" <drekar3@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23wILHOCKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >I ask because since I have the Internet through the cable company and am always on I have to keep a virus scanner running and a
    >firewall running (not to mention my spam blocker) and I think this is cutting into my frame rates and game performance. I'd like to
    >create something bare bones for gaming. Thanks in advance.

    USE THE FOLLOWING INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

    I don't really want to provide a tweaking guide, however it's
    clear that there's a demand, so I'll share some tricks I've used
    as long as you promise to set a restore point right now. Is that
    a fair deal? ;-) Here's how to use Windows XP System Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

    I use these methods only for special games such as grudge matches.

    A: Setup Hardware Profile for Gaming
    Control Panel / System
    Hardware Tab / Hardware Profiles button
    Copy Profile 1 and rename it Gaming Profile
    Leave Profile 1 at the top of the list
    Set to Select the first profile in 5 seconds

    B: Disable Services for Gaming.
    Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
    For each service listed below do the following:
    Right Click / Properties / Log On Tab
    Click on Gaming Profile / click Disable Button
    Click Apply but Do NOT disable for Profile 1

    List of Services: Alerter / Automatic Updates / Computer Browser
    Cryptographic Services (Will cause "Logo" Errors when installing SP1 or DX9)
    Fast User Switching Compatibility / Help and Support / Messenger
    Print Spooler / Remote Registry / Secondary Logon (Run as... will not function)
    System Restore Service / Task Scheduler / Terminal Services / Themes
    Upload Manager / VMWare Authorization Service (These services only appear if
    you use VM Ware) / VMWare DHCP Service " " / VMWare NAT Service " "
    Windows Image Acquisition (I won't be scanning while playing) / Windows Time.

    * You cannot expect to install games and use windows everyday with the above
    services disabled. Those are just safe services to disable *WHILE* you're in
    a game. After the games are over, reboot and use the original Profile 1 again.

    C: Disable Page File
    Since I have 512 MB Ram I find it faster to use RAM than to page to the HD.
    Control Panel / System / Advanced / Performance Settings / Advanced Tab
    Virtual Memory Change / Select each drive / click No Paging file and
    click SET. ****If you do not click Set it will not accept your change.

    * Once you're finished your games turn back on the System Managed page file!

    D: Use XP's Firewall Instead of 3rd Party Firewalls
    We've already disabled your firewall (Norton's, Zone Alarm, etc.) by disabling
    Startup programs in step D. Check your services using the method in step A to
    see if the firewall or antivirus program has services you should disable, i.e. Zone
    Alarm installs a True Vector service you can disable for the Gaming Profile.

    E: Improve Framerates by Lowering Game Eyecandy and Sound
    I found that by setting my resolution in Halo to 800x600, and lowering the
    visual effects, I was able to improve my framerate from 24 to 52 FPS! :-)
    This is more improvement than any of the other tweaks provided.
    Sound is something that you don't need. Only keep sound settings that will
    help keep you alive, for example to hear a tank rumbling near you. Music and
    the sound effects made when you fire your weapons are expensive ear candy.

    F: Set Performance Options for Best Performance
    Control Panel / System / Advanced / Settings / Visual Effects
    Adjust for best performance (remember to change it back after your games).

    G: Disable Startup Programs
    Start / Run / type msconfig / Startup Tab / Click Disable all button.
    You will be prompted to restart, when it restarts you'll have 5 seconds to pick
    Gaming Profile or it will default to Profile 1 instead.

    WARNING - DO NOT CLICK THE SERVICES / DISABLE ALL BUTTON!
    *Never touch the Services Tab in msconfig! It allows you to disable ALL services
    for ALL profiles with the click of one button and Windows won't startup again!!!

    Okay, so now I've shared some of the tweaks I've used on my own system. I
    hope this information will be helpful, and if used properly help you pwn your opps!

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    sorry it took so long to respond but I got myself caught into something else
    for a while but thanks for the tips, I'll have try them out.

    "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
> [...]
    > to pick
    > Gaming Profile or it will default to Profile 1 instead.
    >
    > WARNING - DO NOT CLICK THE SERVICES / DISABLE ALL BUTTON!
    > *Never touch the Services Tab in msconfig! It allows you to disable ALL
    > services
    > for ALL profiles with the click of one button and Windows won't startup
    > again!!!
    >
    > Okay, so now I've shared some of the tweaks I've used on my own system. I
    > hope this information will be helpful, and if used properly help you pwn
    > your opps!
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    > Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any

    You're welcome Stephen, thanks for the posts! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Stephen Lawrence" <drekar3@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:e7mWB32LFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >> Gaming Profile or it will default to Profile 1 instead.
    >>
    >> WARNING - DO NOT CLICK THE SERVICES / DISABLE ALL BUTTON!
    >> *Never touch the Services Tab in msconfig! It allows you to disable ALL services
    >> for ALL profiles with the click of one button and Windows won't startup again!!!
    >>
    >> Okay, so now I've shared some of the tweaks I've used on my own system. I
    >> hope this information will be helpful, and if used properly help you pwn your opps!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    well I tried what you said per your first reply and everything works great,
    absolutely great! only problem though with the msconfig bit, to bad it won't
    remember what profile I want it to go with, then everything would be even
    better. thanks for your help.

> [...]
    >>> *Never touch the Services Tab in msconfig! It allows you to disable ALL
    >>> services
    >>> for ALL profiles with the click of one button and Windows won't startup
    >>> again!!!
    >>>
    >>> Okay, so now I've shared some of the tweaks I've used on my own system.
    >>> hope this information will be helpful, and if used properly help you pwn
    >>> your opps!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >>> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    >>> Contact
    >>> MS Support at:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any

Gaming Games Windows XP