Low Memory Warning - GTX 660 2048mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttados

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I just built a new pc with a GTX 660 2048mb superclocked card and after I play BF3 for about an hour I get a "low memory warning" from Direct X and the game freezes up. Here is the error:

"directx function "device-> createtexture2d (&texDesc,desc.subResourceCount !=0 ? reinterpret_case <const D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA*> (desc.subResourceData) : 0, &texture-> m_texture2d)" failed with E_OUTOFMEMORY: Ran out of memory. GPU: "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000", Driver: Unknown. Free virtual memory 2460440kb / 4194176kB. Total resource memory: 0kB. Make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 512 MB."

It looks like direct x is somehow associated with the onboard gpu, HD 4000, but BF3 is definitely using the 660 because I am playing on ultra at 1080p. I also have the latest Nvidia drivers 310.70.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

This problem has been reported before as I remember, it's because you have a low amount of Physical system memory, and the virtual RAM isn't properly configured.

For now, go to system properties, then advanced system settings, advanced tab, under performance click settings, then advanced and set a proper amount of your HDD/SSD to be used as a virtual RAM...usually 8 GB is great.

Then you should think to upgrade your Physical RAM.

ttados

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for all of the help so far. Right now, I have a Cinema Display connected to the thunderbolt port of my mobo so I do need the integrated GPU turned on. I am also running Virtu MVP so certain applications (games) can use my 660.

I also have 8GB of physical RAM and my 660 has 2GB of RAM. I thought there might be some way to configure Direct X to use my 660's memory. I will go ahead and try increasing the virtual memory though.

Status
Not open for further replies.