Sign in with
Your question

High Spec Low Cost Build

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2013 6:43:31 PM

hi! i want to build a system for $300, thats the budget. i currently have an old system i got suped cheap. im debating on either seling it or reusing the parts.

the only things re-useable
-psu
-case
-fans
-hd

the new build i am hoping to have onboard graphics, i dont game beyond minecraft for pc. i plan on doing android development, so a multi core cpu is esseintial and im gonna need some ram. im thinking micro-atx, an fx-6100 or a quad core phenom, ive heard good things about those. i may also do some vidio editing, compiling etc, ive heard that you should have an graphics card for it to work better. but i can upgrade the system as needed. if i sell the old system that means that il have to rebuy all the stuff, im in $130 on system componets, i should be able to get at least that out of it, but realisticly will that buy a 400-500watt psu, case,fans? And am3 works on am3+, as i racall, so i can upgrade eventually:) 

case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

im thinking like a 4gb stick ram to get started, i can upgrade it over time. i just wanna keep the initial cost low.

thanks in advance!
February 7, 2013 6:56:28 PM

I would look at AMD's trinity quadcore APU's + an FM2 motherboard for your build

You wont need the top end graphics cores but more cpu clock speed will be helpful
February 7, 2013 7:01:57 PM

The FX-6300 is a good choice for editing, but it will take half of your budget, or about that, you'll need a discreet card like the 6670(at least).
What's the psu you have from the old one(probably not a good one) ?
You can reuse the hdd if it's a sata one.
You're best bet is indeed an amd apu FM2 build for your budget.
February 7, 2013 10:25:26 PM

the old psu, im not sure. more than 300watts, lol. it was an old gaming build from 2005, i maxed the ram and got a geforce 6200agp. the psu is a 20 pin, i heard theyll work but its sketchy to run. yeah the hd is sata, i have all kinds of hard drives. worked a electronic waste thing a couple times, got a few ;) ... im fine with the cpu taking half the build cost, thus the micro atx, so after the cpu that leaves $160 ish... mobo $80ish, so $80 left for ram? awesome. i found an old graphics card, geforce 6800gt. haha...that could work for a while, 256mb ddr3, not top of the line but eh.

whatda yah think?
am3+mobo
8ish gb ram
cpu 6300
!