Closed Solved

HD 5670 1GB DDR5 vs GTS 250 1GB DDR3?

Hello, I'm upgrading my little bro's computer (my old one) and I need to find a "new" video card for him. He currently has a TC card and has a limited budget. I'm from Argentina so things are pretty expensive here so I don't have too much to choose from. He has a 450w generic PSU so I'm trying to find cards that don't consume too much power, that's when the HD5670 came in mind, but for AR$120 (20 dollars) more, I can get him a GTS 250 1GB DDR3, which I consider better than the HD5670 but I don't know if his PSU is enough for it. The 5670 is US$56, while the GTS 250 is US$76. Which one should I get him?

His specs are these:

ASUS P5VD2-X (It's an old VIA chip, has problems with A LOT of PCI-2.1 video cards, but I researched and both of these are fully compatible) Plus, I'm planning of getting him a new mobo maybe next month, so I want a card that's worth it but with a low price.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 1.6GHz x2 (This needs to be URGENTLY changed, I know)

2GB RAM DDR2

Geforce 7100GS TC 512MB, 128MB on board (I doubt it even has 128 on-board)

17" Widescreen monitor, he plays in 1280x720.

450W generic PSU.

He's running on Windows XP SP3.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5670 ddr5 ddr3
  1. Ouch. I'd probably go with the 250, but the DDR3 is going to hurt it a little.

Perhaps look at a used 9800gt? It has a moderate power draw, for the era, and is easily comperable to the GTS 250. If it's compatible, that is.
  2. DarkSable said:
    Ouch. I'd probably go with the 250, but the DDR3 is going to hurt it a little.

Perhaps look at a used 9800gt? It has a moderate power draw, for the era, and is easily comperable to the GTS 250. If it's compatible, that is.

I was thinking of a 9800GT too but it's not compatible with his mobo for some reason no one knows.
  3. The GTS 250 is the better performer. No worries about DX11 support, he's on XP anyway. Make sure that PSU has a 6-pin connector for the GTS 250 if that's what you are going to get. I don't like the price of it, but I realize you have limited availability. Obviously its an aged CPU/mobo so don't expect too much, but most anything is better than its current graphics.
  4. Best answer
    Well, I wouldn't try using GTS 250 on a generic PSU.
  5. Best answer selected by WuSL.
  6. Sunius said:
    Well, I wouldn't try using GTS 250 on a generic PSU.

exactly, that's what I was afraid of. I'm just going to go with the HD5670, with his processor and mobo I doubt the GTS 250 can do much more than what the HD 5670 will do. Plus, I'll spend that extra money on the new mobo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics