GTX 670 or Radeon 7950 / 7970 For Video Editing / Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logicology

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of building a computer and buying the parts on 12/26/12. Here's my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tLbW

Now, I'm wondering which of the three GPUs in the title I should go with if I will be playing high-end video games and video editing (about 50/50). Which is the smartest option? I have heard SO many mixed reviews on which is better for video editing. I thought the GTX 670 would be best due to the CUDA cores, but others said that the Radeon series is a better option? If someone can directly answer me or point me in the right direction I'll be very thankful!

Thank you in advance!

* Edit: I apologize for not formatting this correctly. I just realized in the forum after I submitted that I should follow the proper guideline for asking about GPUs. If necessary, I'll be more than happy to oblige with the format and make a new post.

Solution
Adobe Creative Suite does indeed support CUDA (it was some of the first major software to do so) and GTX670 is indeed a better choice for you. Obviously feel free to post back or PM if you have any trouble setting it up :)
Hello & Welcome.

HD 7970 GHz > HD 7970 = GTX 670 > HD 7950 with Boost > HD 7950.

For Video editing, it's more important to focus on CPU and that's why you should step up to i7 3770k, for Video, it doesn't make a lot of difference on which GPU you go for and it will depend on the software you use.

Logicology

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks so much for the replies guys! And I'm sorry for not clarifying, I will be using Adobe Premiere CS5.5 or CS6

For Video editing, it's more important to focus on CPU and that's why you should step up to i7 3770k, for Video, it doesn't make a lot of difference on which GPU you go for and it will depend on the software you use.
Unfortunately I don't have it in my budget (MAX = $1150) at the moment.

If it supports CUDA, GTX670 is your best bet. If it doesn't, I think the 7970 has more raw compute performance (probably why some recommended it).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Adobe Premiere supports CUDA, but it's difficult to find information if it does. And thank you! I think the GTX 670 will be the smartest option for my needs. But if anyone disagrees, I'm more than happy to listen! Thank you for the responses so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.