Voltage increments overclocking i7-2600k

hellzscream

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hello so I want to overclock my i7-2600k from stock to 4.5ghz using this guide
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
How do I go about picking which voltage is right for 4.5ghz? Yes I know every chip is different and won't need the same voltage but how do you pick a voltage to start with is it just trial and error? Also when I run prime95 to test if the overclock is stable do I only run it for an hour then lower the voltage until I can't lower it anymore till bsod appear? Also what increments of voltage +/- should I use?

Rig is
i7-2600k cooled with hyper 212+
p8p67
corsair 750hx
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBX

It doesn't work that way.

Basically:
Step 1: Start off at stock settings.

Step 2: Increase the internal multiplier until P95 fails.

Step 3. Adjust the CPU settings - generally the core voltage - and retest.

Step 4. When stable, go to Step 2.

Repeat until either you your goal or core speed limits.

I recommend leaving memory at DDR3-1333 or -1600 speeds and 1.50 volts. Trying to overclock memory will not get you much extra real world performance.

P95 should not bluescreen. But it does fail with bad settings. Ever since everyone started using P95 to test for stability, we have had a lot of discussion about how long to test. Running P95 for 15 minutes will maximize CPU temps. For stress testing, consensus is two hours on up depending how important stability is to you personally. I am one of the few here who tests for 24 hours.