Hi, I am considering upgrading my XFX 6950 to a XFX 7950 Double D. Although, I need to ask a few questions before I make my purchase:
1. I know that my motherboard (Asus M5A97) has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, my current card is the Blue x16 slot. The 7950 asks for a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot. Is it going to make a difference in performance, heat,etc. if I plug it into 2.0 slot?
2. I want to know if my system is enough to handle the card, here are my specs: MotherBoard: Asus M5A97 RAM: 8 GB Corsair dominator PSU: 800w Cooler Master Silent pro gold CPU: AMD X6 1090T and a 1TB Western Digital HDD
3. And probably the most important question, is it even worth the upgrade?
1. 3.0 cards in 2.0+ slot will work at 2.0+. 2.0 cards in older 1.0+ would work at 1.0+ . Simply, all of them are backward compatible. You could run it on PCI-e 1.0 x8; it would be bottlenecked but it would work. But at your case, a single 7950 won't be significantly bottlenecked by a PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot at all. It should work smoothly.
2. Yes your settings are good enough for that card and they make a good combination.
3. Yes, HD 7950 is a great card, especially when overclocked.