EVGA GTX 660 SC Problem!

So a few days back i installed my new EVGA GTX 660 SC. I made sure all of my bios' were up to date and that i had the latest drivers for the GPU. Since then i have run every game fine on ultra with high fps and no issues. However whenever i run DayZ i seem to get random pc shutdowns/reboots, any ideas as to why this may be happening? Cheers.

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core ~ 3.6GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2gb
RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 1600 Mhz
PSU: Dont know :$ 500w? (this could be the problem)
MOBO: M5A78L-M-LX-V2-ASUS-1302
Case: Gigabte :S?
11 answers Last reply
More about evga problem
  1. unknown brand psu is a likely issue. Either that or overheating. Check with HWMonitor first to see if your load temps of cpu and gpu are ok. If temps are ok, then its likely a psu problem. If its a generic brand psu then I would replace it either way.
  2. Thanks for the reply mate, yeah not sure who my PSU manufacturer is purely because I haven't checked but I think it's pretty generic. Is HWMonitor just a program? Also any ideas as to what PSU I should invest in? Thanks a lot bud
  3. Look for Antec, XFX, Corsair 600w brand Powersupply.
    That will a little Future proof.
  4. Thanks a lot guys would a 700w corsair gaming psu do the trick yeah? And will it be future proof enough for like a i7 3770k quad core aswell?
  5. Yes it will be enough for GTX 690 + i7 3770k. :lol:
  6. Haha okay man thanks:)
  7. Oh guys how do I check my temp of my gpu because it could be that, or will getting a new psu slightly resolve that issue aswell?
  8. Use MSI Afterburner.
    PSU doesn't effect GPU temp.
  9. Okay man thankyou :)
  10. What other games are you maxing out?

Reason being is that I have read similar crashes/low FPS on gtx 660ti's and 660ti's in SLI on 800w gold rated PSU's (In fact I have read about this game crashing cards ranging from 285's all the way to SLI 690's)

Also DayZ is a CPU intensive game, so what type of CPU cooling are you using?

that GTX 660 (Non-ti) should be fine in dayz, if crashing only happens in that game (like all the other ones I have read) then it seems it might be a game issue not a card issue.

How did you troubleshoot?
    Does it crash at game startup or when playing? If its at start up try re-installing.
    If it crashes during gameplay try lowering settings in the graphics settings IN the game itself.

If your case doesn't have sufficient airflow or the computer isn't in a well ventalated spot then you would experience overheating and crashes, but I don't see the PSU affecting anything at all considering the card runs fine in every other game.
  11. Hiya mate thanks for the long reply! Ran some intensive tests on my pc and it was all fine except my psu was constantly running at 100% haha and was burning out so just ordered a 750watt gaming psu, thanks a lot guys problem solved, you're all legends :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx EVGA Graphics