Sign in with
Your question

Help with video card purchase

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2012 8:53:18 PM

Hello,

would like to upgrade my video card within the $300.00 range.

current mobo is a ASRock 970 EXTREME3 which supports crossfire.

the mobo also only has 2 pciE 2.0 x 16. however its (x16,x4)
board also has PCIe x 16 slot.

is it worth it to xfire two radeon 7770 for instance? how big will the performance loss me between the PCI E slots?

Or would there be more performance boost from a singular more expensive card with the same $300?

OR would the two radeon cards in xfire out perform a singular larger card if I upgraded my mobo so better support the xfire with 2 true PciE 2.0 x 16 (x16,x16)?

any help is appreciated, thanks

More about : video card purchase

a c 105 U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:24:24 PM

crossfiring is a waste of money and doesn't always work the way you think it should.

crossfiring two turds doesn't make any sense.

buy the single best card you can get............ that would depend on your monitor/resolution, the games you play and all the other hardware in your case to make the card work. what is it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:31:20 PM

You're better off going with a single card setup and save yourself the troubles that come with the extra heat, power, micro-stuttering and driver dependent performance scaling.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 9:54:49 PM

Thanks for the advice perhaps i'll shift focus towards a singular higher end card.

Currently i'm playing Planetside 2 and the footage i've seen on "ultra" setting look beautiful. i'm wondering if a newer video card would get me there or atleast to high setting.

as mentiong Mobo is ASRock 970 EXTREME3
believe CPU isAMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 Processor 1055T ( will confirm in the morning )
PSU is 1000w, forget brand.
Ram is 16GB via CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB DDR3 2000 OC'd

can't remember the monitor, but I have been waiting to upgrade it for a long time.

If you's could help me with the video card then perhaps i'd cave on a monitor if you could help sell me on the benefits.

honestly i've been ignorant of the monitor, its LCD 21" but thats as far as I can remember
( posting this away from my PC while on xmas vacation )

thanks for any help
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:58:00 PM

Go with the HD 7870, its the best bang for your buck.
m
l
!