Home network help

Fahrenheit85

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hey guys hoping you can help me out. My current home network is not filling my needs. What I have now is some cheapo netgear router on my media room, have my computer along with Xbox, PS3 and TV plugged into it. That all works fine the problem is my wife has a home office upstairs that she uses her laptop and wireless printer in. The signal is weak once it gets up there and shes getting drop outs and slow speeds. So what I need is a new router and some sort of wireless extended to put mid way to help boost the power. Can anyone help me with this?

Also when I get my new gear what type of security should I run?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You may find a powerline network system to your wife's office far cheaper than splashing out n a new router. You connect one of the two units to the computer upstairs and plug it into the electric socket.

Downstairs, connect the other one to the router and plug that one into the electrics and she has a full-blown ethernet connection - faster than any wireless to date.

Combine the two suggestions - powerline to the upstairs office and site a router at the end of it. Still cheaper than a repeater half way between and a better class of network. Buy a quality N class router and use it as the main one then ship you existing router upstair and cable it to a powerline unit.