Pace dsl gateway model 4111n filter

jl5270

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,
I just replaced my 2Wire with PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N. I am using the 2Wire filter in the phone jack to split the DSL and phone signals. Is there a different filter that will increase my signal strength?

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Good question I suppose. As I understand it the filter is a double bell curve affair. One side stops the analog signal in a specific range ignoring the other allowing for voice perceptible range analog on one side of the filter, and the other end of the "spectrum" for equipment transmition. A quick Bing for "DSL Filter" Produced thousands from a Dollar up.

I do not remember having seen a powered boosted DSL filter before. Not that it does not exist, just that I have not heard of that sort of device before. I do remember having seen a powered splitter for cable TV signals before, but that has been a very long time ago. And my personal experience was that a crapy signal boosted to a loud crapy signal. But, that was ancient history cable TV.

Per the ADSL line? I think that as good as it gets is on the network side of the NIC on the back of the house. For anything better you are in the realm of dealing with "The Phone Co." to get a better signal to your location.

Last month I replaced a 2Wire 2701 (fourth failed unit Averaging 18 months per unit) with a Netgear DGND3500. It plugged in and worked within seconds of the changeover (I had Network username and AT&T password at hand and ready). The portal 10/100/1000, which is much better for moving files between the house computers (watch video on one stored on another :whistle: ). I also re-used the 2Wire filter(s). The 802.11n is better for the newer phones in my circle, obviously. The Gigabit Lan is far more convenient even though half of the computers I have set up here are equiped with onboard Gigabit Lan. Equipment updates will all too soon phase out the older 10/100 desktops here.

I ran across this thread as a point of curiosity. Next week AT&T will be out to install "U-verse". I saw the "PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N" listed in the fringe area of AT&T equipment. I am a bit miffed with them over the tiered pricing of DSL. I did get roughly 4gb down, 2gb up before the NEW pricing. Now I am for the same price getting 2.4gb down .4 up (less than wireless G speeds). As you can guess not very pleasent, and I'm not terribly amazed at that blinding speed. We will see what "amazing speed" we are trickled out (speedtest.net) after the install of U-verse with thousands of HD channels. No hard data on what sort of HD, or What data transfer rates, LAN speeds, Wi-Fi classification or really anything you would not expect from a man in a butterscotch plaid coat on a used car lot sort of advertisement claims. :sol:

Having been extremely dissapointed by the alternative COX CABLE! Which was a severe dissapointment from Day one, I am back to trying the other robber baron available AT&T. Great, Gog or Magog. Anyway, I thought if they are bringing an 802.11n Gigabit 4 port access with them, perhaps I could cycle the Netgear back through Ebay. However, I have only found the usual AT&T claims that you will be thrilled with amazing speed. Hmm, yes I am already thrilled :heink: from their previous experiences.

pypo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

You should read this article and get the free report. It explains everything. In short, yes. There is a way to improve your signal.

http://computemagazine.com/how-to-speed-up-your-broadband-dsl-throughput/

jl5270

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I asked that at RadioShack and they said using the 2Wire filter was fine. Our internet connection has been stronger and more consistent since we switched.