Question about CoolPix 8800

Hope I am in the right group this time. I would like to know if you have
tried the Coolpix 8800. I know it is a new camera, but would like to have
some first hand opinions. If you have a Coolpix 8700, that would be close
enough. Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about question coolpix 8800
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Bill wrote:
    > Hope I am in the right group this time. I would like to know if you
    > have tried the Coolpix 8800. I know it is a new camera, but would
    > like to have some first hand opinions. If you have a Coolpix 8700,
    > that would be close enough. Thanks

    Yes, you are in the right group.

    I haven't got an 8800, having gone for the Panasonic FZ20 instead, but I
    know that some people in the Yahoo Coolpix_8MP group have:

    Cheers,
    David
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Just wondering how you would rate the FZ20?

    Thanks,
    Sam

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    >> Hope I am in the right group this time. I would like to know if you
    >> have tried the Coolpix 8800. I know it is a new camera, but would
    >> like to have some first hand opinions. If you have a Coolpix 8700,
    >> that would be close enough. Thanks
    >
    > Yes, you are in the right group.
    >
    > I haven't got an 8800, having gone for the Panasonic FZ20 instead, but I
    > know that some people in the Yahoo Coolpix_8MP group have:

    > Cheers,
    > David

  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Samuel Cheng wrote:
    > Just wondering how you would rate the FZ20?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Excellent, to be honest, although we've only had it a few days. I can
    tell you more in six months time!

    Many things on the camera are well thought out, as it is the second or
    third generation of its class. Image quality is fine. Personally, I
    would prefer a swivel LCD, and the EVF is very far left so that my nose
    rests on the LCD (I use my left eye). People have commented that the
    viewfinder is dark in extremely low light conditions, but this is not as
    bad as on the Nikon Coolpix 990 which the FZ20 will supplement (but not
    replace). Also, you may want to set the noise reduction to "low" as peole
    have reported some picture artefacts otherwise. But these are minor
    issues.....

    Cheers,
    David
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    I am reading some things about the 8800 that worry me and would like to know
    about the Panasonic FZ20. It seems to have all the things that I want, but
    it is 5 mp instead of 8 and I couldn't use my CF cards with it. I
    definitely want the image stabilization because I take wildlife pictures and
    hand hold for shots as far away as 50 meters. Will the 5 mp print a good 11
    x 14 or is 8 x 10 its limit? Thanks
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    "Bill" <wmhurst@cableone.net> wrote in

    > Will the 5 mp print a good 11
    > x 14 or is 8 x 10 its limit? Thanks

    I find 5 X 7's from my Coolpix 5700 to be tack-sharp, but 8 X 10's are a
    tad bit soft (but acceptable) to my eye. Then again, my camera is a
    relatively old model, so maybe things have gotten better. What you could do
    is visit one of the big review sites like http://www.DPReview.com and print
    (or have printed at a local photo shop) various sizes from different
    cameras of various resolution and compare the results.

    --
    Bill
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    > Hope I am in the right group this time.

    Most certainly!

    > I would like to know if you
    > have tried the Coolpix 8800. I know it is a new camera, but would
    > like to have some first hand opinions. If you have a Coolpix 8700,
    > that would be close enough. Thanks

    I own the 5700. I've also been looking at the 8800, or possibly the 8400.
    The extreme wide angle perspective of the 8400 is very attractive to me,
    and has never before been offered in a ZLR. Of course, I would miss having
    the extra tele. The 5700 and 8700 generally require the use of a tripod
    when shooting at full telephoto, whereas the image stabilizer of the 8800
    should (if it works properly) increase handheld shooting ability throughout
    the zoom range in many situations. Decisions, decisions..

    --
    Bill
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

    Bill decided to say......

    > Hope I am in the right group this time. I would like to know if you
    > have tried the Coolpix 8800. I know it is a new camera, but would like
    > to have some first hand opinions. If you have a Coolpix 8700, that
    > would be close enough.

    I just received my 8800 yesterday. See my post on the camera. I will be
    doing some testing and posting the results. From what I understand, the
    8800 is a significant improvement over the 8700.

ZLR Coolpix Photo Cameras