Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 7950 3GB not much better than my Radeon HD 6850 1GB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2012 3:05:17 AM

Hello. I have discussed this with another forum member a little bit, but I would like to hear other people's opinions and advice.

First off, here is my build:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T - Overclocked @ 3.7GHz
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL 1333
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB (was using Radeon HD 6850 1GB)

Also, I am using a 1280x1024 monitor, just FYI (I will be getting a 1920x1080 for Christmas).

Anyways, here is my situation. I upgraded graphics cards just recently in hopes of gaining an increase in FPS in games. The problem is, that didn't really happen. I am only getting around 10 more FPS, and that is with the graphics card being overclocked (the 6850 was around $150 and the 7950 was $300, I don't feel like 10 FPS is worth 2x the price).

After talking about this with another forum member in a different thread I had made about overclocking, he said my CPU must be bottle-necking the graphics card. So, as of now I am planning on upgrading my CPU to an Intel Core i5 (or waiting for the Haswell's) and upgrading my motherboard.

I would appreciate it if you guys agree about the CPU bottle-necking, have any recommendations for maybe increasing my FPS until I can upgrade my CPU, any kind of advice/help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:20:35 AM

It sure sounds like a CPU bottleneck.

Edit: Some charts

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:30:29 AM

when you get your new 1080p screen you will be much happier. stop worrying. at that res your gpu has so little work to do since it is such a low resolution that an upgrade in gpu power can not be handled by your cpu.
Score
Related resources
December 24, 2012 3:31:48 AM

Yeah, seeing as that is most likely the case, I have my eye one the Intel Core i5-3750k Ivy Bridge. Do you think that would be a good choice, or do you recommend waiting for the Haswell's to come out? I am asking with the hope you are familiar with Intel CPU's to this extent xD
Score
December 24, 2012 3:32:44 AM

cbrunnem said:
when you get your new 1080p screen you will be much happier. stop worrying. at that res your gpu has so little work to do since it is such a low resolution that an upgrade in gpu power can not be handled by your cpu.

Well, my FPS won't increase when I switch over the the 1080p monitor, will it?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:35:35 AM

Don't bother right now. Get a new monitor and enjoy.

I have both a Bulldozer and Ivy build. If you plan on playing at that resolution then yes by all means, otherwise buy some games to go with a new 1080p monitor.
Score
December 24, 2012 3:40:52 AM

ohyouknow said:
Don't bother right now. Get a new monitor and enjoy.

I have both a Bulldozer and Ivy build. If you plan on playing at that resolution then yes by all means, otherwise buy some games to go with a new 1080p monitor.

Yeah, I got the AMD 3-game pack (Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs). I can run Far Cry 3 on all high settings with an average FPS of 60. The thing is, games are playable (Planetside 2 is barely, my fps drops in the high 20's in big hotspots ;_;), but I upgraded in hopes that I could record gameplay in these games smoothly.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:52:44 AM

Ps2 is bottlenecked by that resolution which is further compounded by being a massive online multiplayer game. Of course it will hit the 20's. You need a new resolution to shift the load to the GPU.
Score
December 24, 2012 4:05:08 AM

ohyouknow said:
Ps2 is bottlenecked by that resolution which is further compounded by being a massive online multiplayer game. Of course it will hit the 20's. You need a new resolution to shift the load to the GPU.

Ooohh, I didn't understand that is how the CPU and GPU worked. Thank you for the help!

I am planning on upgrading my CPU next though, do you have any recommendations?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 4:16:23 AM

If it's for improving your gaming experience and you have that itch. I'd still recommend you wait for Haswell to come out before scratching. That 960T is very nice and will hold you over until we see Haswell benched. Don't waste money on a platform change at this time.
Score
December 31, 2012 3:08:14 PM

Best answer selected by imrevned.
Score
!