Would this network benefit from upgrading to N?

Hello,
I have a WRT54G as my base router and am looking to add a 2nd router to my network to provide access for the occasional times when I need to get online with my xbox360 or my Dish DVR (They are too far away to run ethernet cables).

My house is a 2 story and decent sized, my home computer has a gigabit ethernet card and i have 2 laptops that connect both have wireless N capabilities. My ISP supposedly provides 15 Mbps. I have good signal strength throughout the house currently. i don't do many file transfers between computers.

Since I am making the effort to add a router, I was wondering if there would be a noticeable performance difference if I replaced my WRT54G with an N router and then used the WRT54G as my secondary router/repeater bridge for the 360/DVR ... or would just getting a second G route to act as the bridge result in roughly the same performance? If I would notice a considerable difference with an N router, would a gigabit version be worth the extra cost or would any N router do?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
7 answers Last reply
More about would network benefit upgrading
  1. If you are planning to use a G router hanging off the N router, you will just be connecting at the speed of the G router. If you want faster performance, get a an N-based access point and hang it off an ethernet connection. Or get an N router and a N wifi extender to connect wireless if you can't get a cable near where you want wireless.
  2. I can't have an ethernet connection to the main router due to space/layout so that part is out, and my second router will only be powered on the few times I need to have net access for my 360 or DVR.

I guess that refines my question down to this...will having an N router as my primary router give me a noticeable performance difference for surfing the net, a little downloading, or watching streaming video from a laptop? If so, would a gigabit router be noticably better?

Thanks!
  3. Gig ports are only good for internal data transfer, if you don't copy files from system to system won't do you any good.

If you plan on using a G access point for wireless, having an N router is useless, need both to be N.
  4. So basically, if I have my proposed primary wireless router (the N one) on while I have the G one (secondary) on, performance will be degraded to G...which means anytime I play Xbox the laptops will only receive G signal. However, if I shut the G one off (since i would only have it on when playing XBOX) my laptops will get the benefit of N?

Then I guess what I am trying to ask is this: With the G router off and my laptops getting wireless signal from an N router, is there a significant performance improvement (speed, etc) over staying with my current setup of a wireless G primary router?
  5. There is as big speed increase from using N over G, as long as the devices all support N. If you connect the laptops to the N connections, you can leave the G router on all the time, won't affect anything. I though you were saying you wanted to extend the range of your wireless using the G connection, in that case everything connected to that will use that speed. If you keep things on the N wifi, they will run at that speed.
  6. Thanks so much. Looks like I'll be going with an N router. Was thinking about this one, is it legit?

TP-LINK TL-WR940N IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps Wireless N Router
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704050
  7. Should be OK, TP-Link stuff seems to have mostly very good reviews.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Internet Service Providers Ethernet Card Networking Product