I thought I had built it right...

R4NDYR

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just built a computer but I'm having issues on where to start trouble shooting the problem. I am pretty confident that everything was hooked up right but when I went to power it on, it only made the lights in the room flicker. No fans move, no lights on the tower flash, and there's no clicks or any sound produced at all.

I will note that I was playing with the HD light and power light hook ups and when they are plugged into where the power button should go, they light up. So I'm assuming SOME sort of power is getting there.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera
Gfx Card: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Solution
If the power in the room went weird (lights flickering) then I would think the wall socket is to blame for this. Try a different socket in the house.

R4NDYR

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
UPDATE:
I tested out a new power supply and it made the power lights and fans turn on for a split-second. I tried the original power supply and somehow it just magically started working.

Now I have a new issue!
I'm trying to install Windows 7 and the BIOS recognizes the harddrive but the Windows installer does not. Says that it needs drivers. It's a SATA drive from Hitachi and I'm sure it's configured properly in BIOS.

HELP again!

R4NDYR

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Well, I finally got Windows to read my hard drive. Had to set it to AHCI, who would have thought. Glad I could help myself on this forum. >_<

Other thoughts:
The partition didn't even show up initially. If anyone runs into this program, I ran through these steps. (Copied from another forum)

Run diskpart command from command prompt. (Hit Shift+F10 when it asks for your language on the Windows installer)

Then each of these commands, followed by the enter key after each one.

list disk (to show the ID number of the hard disk to partition, normally Disk 0)

select disk 0 (change 0 to another number if applicable)

clean (this deletes all partitions)

create partition primary size=80000 (creates a partition with 80 GB space; to use the entire disk as one partition, omit the “size=value” parameter switch; use a similar command to create more partitions if needed or create in Windows 7 after installation)

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

Hope this post helps someone in the future!