Your question

Help me improve my first build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2013 4:13:51 AM

Hey, I'm new to this forum and new to the world of DIY computer building. A friend of mine gave me some parts to start my first build and I finally got everything up and running. But, I've run into some problems. Basically, whenever I run a game that has too much going on visually, the computer completely shuts off. I talked to my buddy about it and he suggested I replace the video card. Here is what I'm currently working with.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard

I have about 8GB of RAM, but unfortunately, I only have a disc for the 32-bit version of windows, so I'm only able to access some of that RAM. I have a 550W power supply and multiple fans keeping everything cool (temperature is good).

I want to know what you all think I should do to make this thing run better. I'm using this for a work desktop (running stats programs like SPSS) as well as some light gaming (I'll probably play the Marvel Online MMO once it comes out and I would like to play SWTOR, nothing too intense).

Should I replace the video card to something smaller/lower grade, or get a better CPU. If so, what recommendations do you guys have? I would like to keep the mobo I have, as I'm a grad student with little disposable income.

Any other ideas as to why the computer keeps shutting down?

Any help is greatly appreciated and needed. Help me make this PC run like a champ!

More about : improve build

February 8, 2013 4:15:50 AM

If the computer shuts off.

It's either the video card or the PSU is dying or sucks or can't handle the graphics.

what is your PSU?
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:23:04 AM

cutebeans said:
If the computer shuts off.

It's either the video card or the PSU is dying or sucks or can't handle the graphics.

what is your PSU?

I hope it doesn't suck. I just bought it...I was assuming it couldn't handle the graphics. Does this mean I should focus on getting a new PSU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 4:25:33 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

COOLERMASTER TRASH!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this though -__-.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:26:48 AM

cutebeans said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

COOLERMASTER TRASH!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOOOOO!!!! My first component purchase and I make a mistake. What would you recommend for what I'm working with?

and is there anyway I can sell this one somewhere?...
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:29:17 AM

lol, see the review here : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

If the 600W is not 600W, but just a fake labelled one, with just 450W, you can expect that to have even less, with a poor efficiency under 70%, it's a real risk to the rest of the parts.
It's garbage.

This psu is of high quality : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb...
You can find it also here : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257
It's recommended in most builds.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:30:50 AM

Duped...At least I got a deal on it...
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:32:42 AM

CoolerMaster! You have poisoned another good PC yet again with your malicious and sucky parts.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:40:24 AM

That's a good psu, but do you need 650W ?
A quality psu within 500-600W will do just fine.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:40:49 AM

I may be drunk. CX430 on a GTX260.

WTF was i thinking.
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:43:21 AM

The maximum tdp of the card is 182W, a corsair 430 might get by.
m
l
!