GPU running at lower bandwidth

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 and installed the latest catalyst drivers (12.11). My system specs are:

MOBO: INTEL DG31PR
CPU: INTEL E5300 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
PSU: 450 W Frontech

I was playing Crysis 1 on High system specifications on 1280x1024 resolution, I am getting around 50-60 fps, but once I reached the second stage, the FPS suddenly dropped to 20-30 on the same settings. I used GPU-Z to check the GPU and the bus interface on which it was running is mentioned as 1.1 instead of 2.0. My mobo supports PCI-e 2.0 as per it's specifications. Could that be the cause of the FPS drop?

Thanks in advance...

Rohit

Solution
Well it's possible that the game has some coding issues (which was well known). I don't know why your FPS dropped, but maybe there is more going on with the game graphically than on level one. I don't know, but that is all that I can think of at this point. I'm assuming you haven't tried any other games to see if it is just a game problem? I can guarantee that all games don't respond the same way on all levels, so keep that in mind.

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but in the game I have vsync off and my resolution is only 1280x1024, no AA and all settings to High only not Very High. If the problem is with Crysis 1 game only and not my GPU or H/W, can you recommend a fix for it?

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

The game is freezing far too frequently in this level than the previous one and it is becoming difficult to play the game smoothly. I believe the freezing of the game is because of the FPS drop and was looking for a fix other than changing my H/W

Like Bigshootr8 has mentioned you have a few issues that might slow things down with Crysis or possibly other games too:

* CPU is okay, but dated and will probably hold some FPS back, depending on situation (OC'ing it would help, but not fix all situations).
* RAM is dated, but not probably too much of an issue. I believe if you had about 4 gb's of DDR2 it might help out a bit.
* Your GPU might also be an issue too. If it's the DDR3 version, you might run into similar situations on other games too, which is hard to say.
* Your current HD might need to be scanned for virus/malware and also have a Disk Check performed. Also might want to do a Defrag on the HD too, unless your using an SSD (which I don't think you do, but I could be wrong).
* You might also want to update your video drivers to the latest version. There are usually bugs/fixes and optimizations that happen that can help alleviate any current or possible issues.
* You might also have a PSU that is getting a bit shaky, due to temperatures in the case and/or age. You usually lose about 10% capacity/year due to capacitor aging. I'm not sure how well the Frontech PSU is built, so you might keep that in mind too.

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply.. but I was playing the first level of Crysis just fine with the same specs and I was getting about 50-60 fps. When the second level started suddenly the FPS dropped and I am having trouble in playing the game. I do not want to update my CPU or mobo until late next year.
The GPU I am using is a GDDR5 1 GB version and not a GDDR3
I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on a newly purchased Segate 320 GB HDD and no SSD. There are no softwares on the HDD except the game. I ran a quick scan with Avast and no threats. I also defragged the HDD.
With my mobo (INTEL DG31PR), it is not possible to OC the CPU and I live in a tropical country and temperature is an issue in OC'ing the CPU
As I mentioned already I am using the latest catalyst drivers from AMD.

What else could be causing the FPS drop?

Well it's possible that the game has some coding issues (which was well known). I don't know why your FPS dropped, but maybe there is more going on with the game graphically than on level one. I don't know, but that is all that I can think of at this point. I'm assuming you haven't tried any other games to see if it is just a game problem? I can guarantee that all games don't respond the same way on all levels, so keep that in mind.

Solution

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Thank you for your reply.. I have not patched the game yet and I am running a 32 bit version of the game 'coz I couldn't get 64 bit working on my system. Does patching the game help me to increase the FPS?
And yes, I have purchased this card specifically for playing Crysis and I have not tested the card with any other game. I will be testing the card with a new game that I got Mafia 2 tonight. I will have more information regarding the performance of the card in that game later in the day.
But, does the performance of the card also cause the drop in FPS? I mentioned that the GPU is running at 1.1 even though my mobo is capable of 2.0. Could that be a cause of the issue?

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I know that I will not be getting consistent FPS across all levels of the game, but will the FPS drop be too much to the point that it will be difficult to even game? The settings have not been altered. I got just 20-30 fps after completing first level and the game is freezing very often..

Yes patching the game will possibly help out with your situation, but most of the time it comes down to the hardware that you have that is the limiting factor.
I've listed a chart that Tom's did on the 7750 when it came out. Just remember they are using a Sandy Bridge 4.2 gHz CPU with the test, so these #'s will be higher than what you could probably attain, plus it is on Crysis 2, which is better optimized than Crysis 1 was.
crysis%202%201680.png

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I only have one PCI-e 2.0 slot on my mobo and I have installed the card on that slot only. GPU-Z says that the card is running @ 1.1.. I have not tested it while playing a game though..

I don't know how accurate GPUz is for Intel mobo's or any mobo for that fact, but I'm not sure that this would throw up a red flag. Maybe your mobo is limiting speed or something, but that is just a guess (assuming GPUz is doing it's job correctly).

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Are you talking about GPU drivers? If yes, then I downloaded the latest drivers from AMD website (12.11) and installed. I will also try patching the game, would that help? Because of the GPU running @ 1.1 will I get a FPS drop in other games that I play?

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Do I need to do any modifications to the settings in BIOS to fully utilize the GPU?

rohitsyte

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I have checked the Intel website just now and the website reports that I already have the latest drivers installed.. what next?

I have a z68 motherboard with my 670 and it gives me a ? mark next to the bus interface saying it can go faster.

PCI-E 2.0x16@x16 1.1

Well let me summarize:
* Game patched (soon to be)
* Latest GPU and Mobo drivers (check)
* System scanned and free of virus/malware (check)
* System defragged and Disk Scan performed (check)
* VSync is off (check)

Things in question:
* What are your graphical settings in the game? Ultra/High/Med/Low????

You might be down to lower your details to get better FPS.