Building a Gaming CPU

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hi everybody,

I am building a gaming PC. My budget for Hard Drive(SSD and Nomral), Graphics Card, Processor and Motherboard is 900 -1000$. After doing digging, i have come up with a list:

SSD Drive
Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 60 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT060A3K5 74.99$

Internal Hard Drive
Western Digital, Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" Internal Hard drive, SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3) 64MB Cache 129$

Graphics Card
EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card 319.99$

Processor
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K 229$

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 189

It comes up to 941$. Please have a look at this and let me know if i can do anything better for lower price.

Hazle

Distinguished
60gb is cutting it close as a boot drive + games. consider getting a 128gb SSD + 1-2TB HDD. the SSD should be able to let you install a game or two, maybe three.

alternatively, you can spend a little less on the motherboard. Asrock's Z77 extreme3/extreme4 can go between $120-140 and is a huge favourite among customers for it's value/features.

check and see if you got a microcenter near you. their CPU+motherboard prices tend to be the cheapest.

some idea at what you can possibly get:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C8e9

and just in case; you'll be needing a CPU heatsink if you haven't got one yet and you're planning to OC that CPU. a Hyper 212 EVO is highly recommended.

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
have you thought about getting a hybrid drive instead of a hdd and a ssd?

Nope....The SSD would be for just hosting the OS and everything else in 3 TB. As it is advised to write as less as possible on a SSD drive....i dont wanna go for that.

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
60gb is cutting it close as a boot drive + games. consider getting a 128gb SSD + 1-2TB HDD. the SSD should be able to let you install a game or two, maybe three.

alternatively, you can spend a little less on the motherboard. Asrock's Z77 extreme3/extreme4 can go between $120-140 and is a huge favourite among customers for it's value/features.

check and see if you got a microcenter near you. their CPU+motherboard prices tend to be the cheapest.

some idea at what you can possibly get:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C8e9

and just in case; you'll be needing a CPU heatsink if you haven't got one yet and you're planning to OC that CPU. a Hyper 212 EVO is highly recommended.

As i said earlier....SSD i just for hosting the OS. i think with all dedicated graphics and high end cpu the games would be fast enough. In fact i am doing the same on my laptop. Am using a 32 gb ssd for hosting the OS and 1 TB HDD for rest everything.

Checked on Newegg and Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is going for 140. Will update my list then. Every buck that i can save. :D

Do you think installing games on the SSD would better their response time? Then i might go for larger SSD drive.

Hyper 212 EVO is a good one.......I will have to add it to my list. Thanks on that :)

Hazle

Distinguished
As i said earlier....SSD i just for hosting the OS. i think with all dedicated graphics and high end cpu the games would be fast enough. In fact i am doing the same on my laptop. Am using a 32 gb ssd for hosting the OS and 1 TB HDD for rest everything.

Do you think installing games on the SSD would better their response time? Then i might go for larger SSD drive.

Hyper 212 EVO is a good one.......I will have to add it to my list. Thanks on that :)

there are some improvements in load time in some, but not all, games. that's about it really. either way, your budget should allow a 670 in there somewhere, with the right deal. you may even be able to fit in a larger SSD afterwards for the around same price as your first post.

Vinylscratchgamer

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
just wondering, is 3tb really necessary? maybe a 64 gb ssd? you could install maybe 2 demanding games and then get either a 500gb 750gb or 1tb hdd with it.

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I would still consider a 120g ssd. I have 120g and win7 64bit hp, I also load all drivers and other system updates to ssd. Have used up about 80g so far. and who knows what future updates windows will throw at me? You want to leave some space for a cache. I would have already ran out if only using a 60g ssd.

The sugggestion earlier for the Asrock extreme 3 or 4 is a great one. I used to have extreme3 and with the asrock fastboot software my pc booted from pushbutton to desktop in about 12 seconds. Crazy fast.

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
just wondering, is 3tb really necessary? maybe a 64 gb ssd? you could install maybe 2 demanding games and then get either a 500gb 750gb or 1tb hdd with it.

Well i didn't mention earlier....I am a movie collector. So the 3 TB is needed for that. High DEF movies are a killer on HDD space. My current PC has a 1.5 TB completely filled. My laptop's 1 TB also almost full and an external 1 tb also full. So i am going for the 3 TB.

Vinylscratchgamer

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Well i didn't mention earlier....I am a movie collector. So the 3 TB is needed for that. High DEF movies are a killer on HDD space. My current PC has a 1.5 TB completely filled. My laptop's 1 TB also almost full and an external 1 tb also full. So i am going for the 3 TB.
alright although cloud storage such as barracuda or ubuntu one or something like that could be of help

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Get a 120gb SSD now before you regret it. The premise of putting as little on them as possible is because they generally run better when they are at less than 50% capacity.

The Asrock mobo is very nice, I have the extreme 4 myself and think its one of the nicest looking boards in the price range if you care about such things.

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Ok mobo changed to Asrock EX4.
For SSD will hve 2 search.....Not sure if Intel 330 series comes in 120 GB. Going hunting for 120 GB SSD..........

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
What ram are you using? I assume its one of the things you have already but would be worth checking its going to be ok. And if you put a little more cash and went up to a 670 you would have a serious gaming machine.

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
So for RAM i would be going for 2 4GB Kingston..........
I checked and think i will be able to manage the 670......it will just be 50 more than the 660 ti and the price reduction for mobo will cover it.......

prithwi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
also what games are you trying to run on this?

Anything that i can get my hand on..........will try to start of with COD then will move to MOH series and BF series and finally my dream Gears of War. Oh i forgot Crysis and Assassins Creed.