Looking for the best - GTX680 or Radeon 7970?

hcool1987

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
This is the current computer build, I am getting my graphics card soon and would like some imput. I have not gotten my processor yet, but I will be getting the i7-3820 and I went with the LGA 2011 cause I'm looking into the future and I think that Intel will be releasing more processors for the 2011 socket in the furture.

Spec:
CPU -- Intel LGA 2011 i7-3820
MOBO -- Gigabyte GA-X79s-UD5 WIFI
HDD -- 500GB WD SATA II will be getting a SSD soon too but dont need that to get my rig running!
CPU Cooling -- Corsair H100i with push/pull configuration
PSU -- Thermaltake 700WATT

I have a PCI fan to help push more air into the graphics card.

GPU -- Looking at the Radeon 7970 (not a big fan of AMD and I like Nvidia) cause the 384-bit and the 2048 stream processors, seem like it may be better. I like the Nvidia 680 and I'm leaning towards it but the 7970 is around $40-$60 cheaper and has higher spec, like I mentioned I am a fan of Nvidia and thats really the only reason I am leaning towards Nvidia but the specs on the 7970 is looking good.

So my question is, is the 7970 what I should go with cause it will perform better, or is the difference so minute that it really doesnt matter. Again a fan of Nvidia so if the diff isnt that much I'm going to go with the 680.

Oh and I plan in the future to bridge them, so either it be crossfire, or SLI i do plan on buying another card in the future to bridge them, so please take that into account on which one performs better under bridge.

Thanks for everyone's imput

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
At the moment some 7970 card suffer from micro stutter, no one knows if it is down to the current drivers are around at the moment, To be honest an nvida 680 may be the best choice though it costs a bit more. I would have a look to see how both of the cards scale in Sli mode and make a choice based on the results.

GPU -- Looking at the Radeon 7970 (not a big fan of AMD and I like Nvidia) cause the 384-bit and the 2048 stream processors, seem like it may be better.

you can't judge it directly like that especially those SP because both were build on different architecture. if you really want to go multi gpu later clearly SLI has the advantage right now in terms of frame consistency.