GTX 690 has come, but have a problem!

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Hey guys, Hope you all have a great christmas.

My GTX 690 has just came in the post this morning. I've had problems trying to fit it however. The card requires two 8 pin power conectors. My computer only has one eight pin and one six pin however.

I've ordered a six to eight pin adaptor but I really want to get it going now. I was wondering if it would be okay if i just plugged in the six pin connector into the eight pin slot on the graphics card. Would that damage my system?

Thanks guys.

No, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS. It could kill the card.

I'd wait for the adapter. Better safe than sorry.

P. S. What is your power supply unit?

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Just to put in my opinion. I would not risk trying to turn on such an expensive card in any way besides how it was meant to be powered. Just this summer I blew out two mobos because of a faulty PSU (granted they were old components). My point being, though it is an expensive card, it isn't as durable as you might think, and you will be kicking yourself if something goes wrong before that adapter arrives. I know I probably sound a little rediculous, but better to be safe than sorry! Good luck with that card though.

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
thank guys. I'm fairly sure my PSU is 750 watt.

I cant be sure for certain though because there is no label on the side of my psu to tell me.

Any othe way i can see what my PSU is?

dingo07

Distinguished
take it out of the chassis and look at all sides... it MUST be on a sticker somewhere - if it's not, then I would purchase a new one because clearly whoever made it did not follow the rules of the road

Wait wait wait no label PSU and you want to use it to power up a $1000 card? Could you please take a picture of it, upload it somewhere (like www.imageshack.us but don't forget to select "do not resize" option), and post the link to the uploaded image here?

And yes, check all sides of it, definitely.

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I originally got the computer from alienware, and my original intention was to have some sort of SLI setup. I'm finding it difficult to take the PSU out of the chassis. I'll post up a picture momentarily.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Personally, that PSU looks "sketchy" at best. If your going to Invest in a 1k GPU, you want the Unit feeding it to be good quality also.

No sticker.......thats odd

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I thought if the PSU was an issue all that would happen would be my computer wouldn't turn on? As far as I knew there is no actual danger of damaging the system by having a PSU that possibly wont be up to spec?

Thanks for replies all.

dingo07

Distinguished
it's simple to remove the 4 screws holding in the power supply - then look on the other 2 sides you cannot see from it being in the case, to see if there's a sticker

bretmh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
You should really look at the requirements of your equipment before you buy. This kind of thing happens way too often and it really sucks unless you have a store nearby.

sig.jpg

dingo07

Distinguished

Have you taken out the PS and checked all sides for a sticker????????

Your wrong. If it's a good unit, it will just not turn on. If it doesn't have good protection, it could kill the card and the motherboard. And that's not the worst case scenario - it could catch fire.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/

Don't risk it man. At least take it out to read the label first.

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
hey guys. Ok I've managed to unscrew the PSU and there is indeed a label there.

I'll write out exactly what it reads:

ALIENWARE

MODEL NPS-750AB-1B
INPUT 100 - 240V -10A, 50-60hz

OUTPUT
+12VA -18.0A , +5V - 16.0A
+12B - 18.0A , -12V - 0.2A
+2VC- 18.0A , +3.3V - 30.0A
+12VD-16.0A , +5VPF - 3.0A

750W MAX

MAX COMBINED POWER ON +5 AND +3.3 OUTPUT IS 150W

MAX COMBINED POWER ON +12va, +12VB , 12VC, 1VD OUTPUT IS 700W

There's a little bit more after this but I don't think it's too relevant. I should also mention I'm running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz processor. And i've got 6134mb ram too. Nothing else is connected that will suck up PSU power.

Thanks all.

Edit - the formatting of my post scrambled after i submitted my reply, hopefully you can still make stuff out. Sorry.

emperor piehead

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
i would still say its a little sketchy most computer brands like dell shove the parts in then don't think about you upgrading. I heard about alienware gluing hard drives to the case once

Matt_58

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I must say i have used alienware over the past eight years and their quality has always been impeccable.

I take it from the lack of other responses my PSU will be alright to use.