Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade motherboard processor help!

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2013 11:36:45 AM

My current system is probably adequate for most.

Custom built:
1st Gen Core i7
16GB DDR3
Blu-ray Drive
128GB 2nd Gen Intel SSD X-25
Old Old Intel Motherboard, which does not support Sandy or Ivy
MSI Geforce 680
650 Watt Antec

The video card, memory, hard drive, PSU and disc drive can all be re-used
Even my Antec case is big, large, and manageable

My problem is my outdated aging processor and motherboard

I've been looking at the B75 and H77 motherboards, but dont know if they can fit my video card and all components
The Z77 keeps getting recommended also

I plan on getting the i7-3770, to have an ivy core i7, that way I'll be set for another 2-3 years.

My question is, am I better off buying a system like this and swapping components and selling what I don't need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or just buying the individual motherboard and processors for $400 and swapping on my current build?

Recommendations and answers would be appreciated!
February 8, 2013 11:50:42 AM

Don't buy the system just buy the parts.

Intel LGA 1155 chipset comparisons

Those are all the LGA 1155 Sandy and Ivy bridge chipsets. The B75 does not allow CPU overclocking (except for Bclk) or RAID or Intel's Smart Response Technology which utilizes your SSD for caching on your hard drive. Which those computers have the B75 chipset.

Intel SRT (SSD caching)

So therefore I recommend buying the parts (Z77 motherboard and Ivy Bridge i7) and putting them into your already awesome build. :) 
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 12:48:07 PM

IMHO it's worth it to get the K series if you have an aftermarket cooler because its nice to have a bit of extra fun with your CPU.

If your okay with having a Micro ATX motherboard I suggest this cheaper option

ASRock Micro ATX H77M MOBO

If you want a roomier ATX I suggest this. It was part of a Toms hardware $500 build.

ASRock ATX H77 PRO4 MOBO

I've taken a quick liking to ASRock boards because they are a knockoff of ASUS a well known good motherboard manufacturer. Not to mention they are cheap, have great customer service, and their motherboards have really good functionality and the black just looks so sick. ^^
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:14:54 PM

iemidget said:
IMHO it's worth it to get the K series if you have an aftermarket cooler because its nice to have a bit of extra fun with your CPU.

If your okay with having a Micro ATX motherboard I suggest this cheaper option

ASRock Micro ATX H77M MOBO

If you want a roomier ATX I suggest this. It was part of a Toms hardware $500 build.

ASRock ATX H77 PRO4 MOBO

I've taken a quick liking to ASRock boards because they are a knockoff of ASUS a well known good motherboard manufacturer. Not to mention they are cheap, have great customer service, and their motherboards have really good functionality and the black just looks so sick. ^^

I've had no experience with ASRock. I chose the intel board for $15 more, I like the reliability. I hope everything else from my old build is compatible with my new motherboard! We shall see on Monday!
m
l
February 11, 2013 1:58:12 AM

Good luck with your build ^^
m
l
!