Is this a good and compatible build (FIRST TIME PC GAMER) HELP!

Hi i am completely new to pc gaming and was wondering if this was a decent build and more importantly compatible build

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3.40 GHz)
RAM - 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline (2x4GB) 1333 (PC3-10666) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1.5V
INTERNAL HARD DRIVE - 750GB Hitachi Ultrastar SATA II 3.5"
OPTIC DRIVE - LiteOn 24x Internal SATA DVD RW Drive
CASE w/POWERSUPPLY - ARIAnet Element Black Midi Tower Case w/ 450W Power Supply

(Note: all of these items were purchased from

Total (inc. delivery) £393.37

Any advice or feedback will be nice, thank you :)
10 answers Last reply
More about good compatible build first time gamer help
  1. it should be OK. the Phenom II should work for most games, but is getting long in the tooth
  2. i would get a better motherboard you're looking at putting a micro-atx motherboard in a mid tower case right now
  3. What do you mean by long in the tooth, and if not the phenom which cpu should i get?

What motherboard would you recommend i get instead of my current one hopelessnoob, or what do you recommendni do instead?
  4. if i could spend more money i would go with this one
    because i never know when i'll need the extra pci slots for something like a second graphics card or a tv tuner
    but if you plan on keeping that build until you need to get a whole new set than you can stick with the micro-atx

i forgot to mention that your graphics card requires a minimum of a 500 watt power supply and the one included is only a 450 watt psu
  5. By "getting long in the tooth" they are politely saying it's old. The Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition was released in 2009. It's getting on 4 years old.

Still an awesome processor for the price though tbh.

I would suggest going for the FX-4300 but this is around £20 more expensive so depends how tight your budget is.

Or you can get the FX-4100 for around the same price as the Phenom. It's still technically 'old' but newer and faster than the Phenom.

Both are compatible with that motherboard but you may need a BIOS update for the FX-4300 depending on what version it ships with.
  6. So if i get the fx 4100 how long do yu think that will last me in terms of games before i need to upgrade again?
    I wantnto play games at high to ultra settings and i think my graphics card can handle it but im notnsure about my other components, what do yiu think?
  7. An important(and probably the most broken) rule of building a computer is to never skimp on the power supply and you are breaking that rule. Its is very likely that power supply will fail in a fashion that will take some if not all of the hardware attached to it with it. Get a quality power supply from a manufacture Like Seasonic, XFX, Pc power and cooling, Corsair, or Antec.
  8. I guess i shuld get a separate case and power supply then? Any cheap ones you would like to recommend?

I was looking at yhe fx 4100 and it got pretty bad reviews, if i were to use it would it be good for a gaming rig?
  9. the 4100 is terrible, then an athlon II, then a Phenom II, then an A10-5800, then the 4300 in order of 'better for gaming'
  10. It generally does get bad reviews. Partly because people compare it to Intel quad-cores (which cost far more) and partly because yes, it's not that great a processor. But at the £75 price range it's about the best available.

Trust me, it would be well worth your while to spend an extra £20 on the FX-4300 or even go with Intel and get an i3-2220. Of course that would require also changing the motherboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product