Installing a Game

OK, here's the deal. I've got an eMachines T2893 with Windows XP. i'm trying
to install a game onto my computer, but everytime I try, I get a message
saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application." It gives me the choice to either close it or
ignore it. Everytime I click Ignore, it closes anyway. Here's what's strange,
though. When I go to find this file, I look in its supposed category, but
it's not there. There is no such file on my computer. What's the deal? I want
to play my game!

--
Dream like there is no tomorrow, but believe in what you dream. You never
know if it will come true or not.

    In news:0CCD793A-06E3-4B0C-A582-346EA0CDE3B1@microsoft.com,
    BrentB <BrentB@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > OK, here's the deal. I've got an eMachines T2893 with Windows XP. i'm
    > trying to install a game onto my computer, but everytime I try, I get
    > a message saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is
    > not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." It gives me the choice
    > to either close it or ignore it. Everytime I click Ignore, it closes
    > anyway. Here's what's strange, though. When I go to find this file, I
    > look in its supposed category, but it's not there. There is no such
    > file on my computer. What's the deal? I want to play my game!

    Is this an older DOS game? XP doesn't have DOS but it does have a
    semi-working compatability mode option that you can try first. Right click
    on the executable, as in the installer... Select properties, select
    compatablity mode, and set it for 98 first and try to install it. No go? Try
    NT. After that you may also have to enter the games folder (after it's
    installed on your PC) and set the exe file in there to the same
    compatability mode.

    Galen

    Hi Brent,

    Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

    1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

    2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

    * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "BrentB" <BrentB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CCD793A-06E3-4B0C-A582-346EA0CDE3B1@microsoft.com...
    > OK, here's the deal. I've got an eMachines T2893 with Windows XP. i'm trying
    > to install a game onto my computer, but everytime I try, I get a message
    > saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > terminate the application." It gives me the choice to either close it or
    > ignore it. Everytime I click Ignore, it closes anyway. Here's what's strange,
    > though. When I go to find this file, I look in its supposed category, but
    > it's not there. There is no such file on my computer. What's the deal? I want
    > to play my game!
    >
    > --
    > Dream like there is no tomorrow, but believe in what you dream. You never
    > know if it will come true or not.

    Jimmy, you are a savior. Thanks a ton.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Brent,
    >
    > Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    > If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >
    > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >
    > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >

    > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "BrentB" <BrentB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CCD793A-06E3-4B0C-A582-346EA0CDE3B1@microsoft.com...
    > > OK, here's the deal. I've got an eMachines T2893 with Windows XP. i'm trying
    > > to install a game onto my computer, but everytime I try, I get a message
    > > saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > > terminate the application." It gives me the choice to either close it or
    > > ignore it. Everytime I click Ignore, it closes anyway. Here's what's strange,
    > > though. When I go to find this file, I look in its supposed category, but
    > > it's not there. There is no such file on my computer. What's the deal? I want
    > > to play my game!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dream like there is no tomorrow, but believe in what you dream. You never
    > > know if it will come true or not.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    My pleasure. I'm glad that worked for you Brent! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "BrentB" <BrentB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04F98734-A91E-41A2-9AA0-6833066E5EE3@microsoft.com...
    > Jimmy, you are a savior. Thanks a ton.
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Brent,
    >>
    >> Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >>
    >> If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >>
    >> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    >> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >>
    >> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    >> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >>

    >> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    >> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    >> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>

    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>

    >> "BrentB" <BrentB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CCD793A-06E3-4B0C-A582-346EA0CDE3B1@microsoft.com...
    >> > OK, here's the deal. I've got an eMachines T2893 with Windows XP. i'm trying
    >> > to install a game onto my computer, but everytime I try, I get a message
    >> > saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    >> > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    >> > terminate the application." It gives me the choice to either close it or
    >> > ignore it. Everytime I click Ignore, it closes anyway. Here's what's strange,
    >> > though. When I go to find this file, I look in its supposed category, but
    >> > it's not there. There is no such file on my computer. What's the deal? I want
    >> > to play my game!
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Dream like there is no tomorrow, but believe in what you dream. You never
    >> > know if it will come true or not.

Games Microsoft Windows XP