Parts Picked Out, 1st Gaming PC Build

anonermus

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I'm looking to build my first PC. I've done quite a bit of research already and bought a few parts. Just looking for some critcism. It initially started as a strictly budget build mostly for gaming. Let me know if I should move away from anything I have listed.

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme3 (already purchased $100 with 8GB RAM)
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (free bundled w/ MB)
Hard Drive OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD (already purchased $50 BF Special)
CPU Intel i5 3570k or i7 3770k ($190 or $230 @Microcenter)
Video Card Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB ($215 @Newegg)
Power Supply Corsair CX600 600W ($50 @Newegg)
Case NZXT Phantom 410 ($65 @Microcenter)
Optical Drive whatever is $20

PC Hardware alone im at $690. With OS, monitor, desk, and other peripherals im sitting at around $1,400 so I'm not exactly trying to increase my budget too much on this. I'm trying to decide between the i5 or i7 processor. Everything I have read has said to go with the i5 for gaming. But its only a $40 price difference at Microcenter (opposed to $100+ everywhere else). Is it worth it to go with an i7 at that price? Also if I do go with the i5, I can bundle it with another MB and get $50 off the board. Should I resell my ASRock MB and upgrade it for something around the same price? or just stick with what I got, its not worth the trouble?

anonermus

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I thought I had made it a bit more clean cut in the initial post. But below is the template....

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month

Budget Range: ~$800 for PC only, w/ OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general internet use, video streaming.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:Entire PC

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 at minimum.

Additional Comments: Looking for opinions on parts picked out. Want to know if it is worth dropping another $40 for an i7 3770k over the i5 3570k. And should I try to resell my ASRock extreme3 motherboard and get a better board. I bought it with 8GB of RAM for $100. If I buy the i5 CPU I can get $50 off a MB. So potentially resell my unused MB for $60-$100, keep the RAM, and buy a better MB from microcenter with a $50 discount and an i5 3570k CPU.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Currently using my 6 year old laptop.