Help with Dual Networks Windows 7

OldNick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,
I have a win 7 system with one NIC. I have a VPN open that creates a second network. I want to configure the system so all Home network (local) traffic uses the unencrypted network and all external traffic uses the VPN. If the VPN is unavailable I'd like the option of manually allowing external traffic on the unencrypted IP.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi,

In order to specifically address your scenario, it would be helpful to know if this is a VPN that you created or if it is managed through an outside source. Also, it would be helpful to know more about the VPN, for example: whether or not it is software or hardware.

Assuming you want to use your Windows 7 system to create and manage both incoming and outgoing VPN connections, I recommend following the ensuing procedure.

To accomplish the task of allowing incoming connections the TechNet article configuring incoming connections explains the steps one must take to allow the machine in question to accept connections from the Internet. You will also need to configure port forwarding for port 1723 for PPTP connections when setting up a VPN server. Please note, the VPN server configured to accept incoming connections as well as port forwarding must be within the office environment you wish to connect to remotely. Once the server and port forwarding have been configured you will then be able to configure the VPN client on the work system for which the instructions can be found here from the Microsoft Windows site.

For your convenience, I have also outlined the steps for configuration below.

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
2. Click on Change adapter settings.
3. Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
4. Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone, after that click on Next.
5. Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
6. Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
7. Make a note of the Computer name, as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
2. Click on Set up a new connection or network.
3. Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
4. Select Use my Internet connection (VPN).
5. Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
6. Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
7. For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
8. Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

jonywags

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
This is the good process to connect VPN Software in Windows 7. Windows 7 has proved to be a lot better than its predecessors, Vista and XP. It is a lot faster, easy to use and with few bugs as opposed to majority of the Microsoft Software and OS (Sorry, if some Microsoft Guy is reading this, I am a Windows fan, but you need to do more testing before launching a new OS).
I think there are some Windows 7 VPN Providers that offers cheap and secure services