Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Advice needed: ~$1000 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 8, 2013 4:56:28 PM

Hello All!

I'm looking to build a new PC to replace my current one, which is a 3-year old custom desktop (which I built with a lot of useful advice from right here :D  ).

Thanks in advance for your help! :hello: 


Approximate Purchase Date: within 1 week


Budget Range: $1000 USD


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, steaming (very little), general use


Already owned: Mouse (Logitech G700), Keyboard (Logitech G110), Monitor (Asus VH232H 23" 1920x1080)


Do you need to buy OS: Yes


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com


Location: WI


Parts Preferences: Intel CPU


Overclocking: No


SLI or Crossfire: no


Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080


Additional Comments: Here's something I threw together, but I would love alternatives or part-swaps. The only thing I'm somewhat set on is the case, which I think looks cool :p  All prices include shipping and rebates.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CaMK

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 Amazon

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $129.99 Microcenter

Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.48 Outlet PC

Storage: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $124.99 Newegg

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $224.98 Newegg

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 Newegg

Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $58.98 Newegg

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $18.98 Outlet PC

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 Outlet PC

Total: $990.36
February 8, 2013 5:05:47 PM

The Corsair Force really isn't a good SSD choice - it's based on Sandforce 2.0 which really isn't the best SSD controller. The OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 would be better choices. You could also drop the SSD and invest in a better GPU - Radeon 7970 or GTX 660TI.

Otherwise everything else looks good.
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 6:38:36 PM

Thanks for the SSD advice, I don't know anything about them. If I replace with a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, I can afford to upgrade to an XFX 7950 3GB. Is this switch worth the price?

I'm also curious if I'll need better-than-stock cooling for the CPU. My old i7 was just fine with the stock one, but I'm not sure how hot the new ones run.

Thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cgh7
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 8, 2013 6:43:13 PM

ScreamerOfSorts said:
Thanks for the SSD advice, I don't know anything about them. If I replace with a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, I can afford to upgrade to an XFX 7950 3GB. Is this switch worth the price?

I'm also curious if I'll need better-than-stock cooling for the CPU. My old i7 was just fine with the stock one, but I'm not sure how hot the new ones run.

Thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cgh7


Yes definitely.

You need the aftermarket fan if you're going to overclock. If not then you're fine running on stock.
Share
February 8, 2013 6:50:00 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yes definitely.

You need the aftermarket fan if you're going to overclock. If not then you're fine running on stock.


I'm not planning on overclocking right away, so I'll just keep with stock cooling.

Any thoughts on better or more cost-effective PSU or Memory? Any compatibility issues that Parts Picker might've missed?

Thanks for the advice!
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 6:52:57 PM

ScreamerOfSorts said:
I'm not planning on overclocking right away, so I'll just keep with stock cooling.

Any thoughts on better or more cost-effective PSU or Memory? Any compatibility issues that Parts Picker might've missed?

Thanks for the advice!


RAM keeps going up in price for some reason (I think its' due to the Micron buyout of a major OEM) - there really isn't anything different in terms of $45 RAM vs. $50.00 RAM. If you want something slightly cheaper get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8ga...

PC Part picker is usually right on the money when it comes to compatibility.
m
0
l
February 9, 2013 2:17:47 PM

Best answer selected by ScreamerOfSorts.
m
0
l
February 9, 2013 2:18:46 PM

Just ordered today, mostly from newegg (with promo's, freebies and rebates, they ended up the same on most items).

Thanks g-unit!
m
0
l
!